Thread: [ SOLVED ] Boot loop - no recovery mode

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

[ SOLVED ] Boot loop - no recovery mode

After using the tablet the previous day it entered boot loop. The four pengiuns show up, it skips through several points up to the line "preinit: finished - booting your operating system..." and then starts over again.

My tablet is unlocked and rooted, running cm-11.0-20140921-tf700t-crombi-kk-R1_signed on ROM2SD.

It worked the previous day but then entered a boot loop .The four penguins show up and it runs to the line "preinit - finshed: booting your operationg system..." and then starts all over. I cant power the tablet off, when I hold the power button pressed it will just reboot.

When I remove the sd card it boots from internal memory: 11.0-20140921-cromobi-kk-tf700t. A boot screen with a red bar titled Crombi-kk appears but the tablet remains without progress in the same condition after 30 min.

With a clip I had hold down (while and without SD card inserted) the reset button but it didn't had any effect. I also pressed the power and volume down button, the tablet vibrates as usually when it would boot but the screen remains black. I can't enter recovery mode.

I would be grateful if you could assist.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Hivemind; 03-12-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    With the external SD removed, and on a hung boot, can you access the tablet through ADB? With your setup I'm assuming you have ADB and fastboot working. If so try

#adb reboot recovery

or

adb reboot-recovery

Or simply try holding the voume-down button only while the tablet is rebooting.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    What about the bootloader? Can you access that?
    Try eveerythi g without the microSD for now. The rom2sd installation is something to worrty about after you get the tablet to boot up at all.
    While it bootloops: just hold the Volume down button - and that's the left side of the rocker.
    You have to get either into the bootloader or into recovery. Without that there's not much that can be done unless you got your nvflash blobs??????

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your answers and sorry for the false description. I now had managed to boot into recovery mode (TWRP 2.6.3-that3), before I must have pressed the wrong volume key before T_T...

I freshly formatted the sd card to FAT32 and loaded it with the same ROM, the ROM2SD installation last only few seconds (10s?) and seems to abort without error message at the point it reaches "formatting system". It says afterwards successfully installed (but console includes error for unable to mount system and data) but the installation isn't found on boot.

After some back and forth I re-installed Crombi-kk on the internal memory but the fresh installation would get stuck at the boot screen again as it did before.

Strangely internal memory is NOW displayed at 0mb in the recovery (before it was OK), -1mb in the crombi installation. I can't mount the data partition and when attempting to wipe the tablet the consoles gives the error message unable to mount internal storage. Here seems to be the faulty part.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hivemind; 03-12-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Try to format the /data/ partition in TWRP. This takes a long while but don't interrupt it, let it do its job. Could be an hour or more so make sure your battery is up first. Maybe wouldn't hurt to try doing that to /system/ also. Then flash the ROM or a Nandroid if you have one. Might be a good idea to check the md5sum of the ROM download too. But it sounds like the /data/ partition's filesystem is corrupt.

TWRP 2.6.3 is a bit on the old side now but might be up to the task, but if it errors out update it and try again.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Kevin is right. TWRP 2.6.3 will not properly flash a KK rom and now your data partition is borked.
    You will have to do two things:
    a) flash TWRP 2.8.+ in fastboot
    Then you can try to format data in TWRP. If you're lucky it works. If not, you have to format data in an adb shell.

b) When booted to recovery you have adb access to the tablet (if you have the correct driver installed on yor PC).
    Connect in adb, then run this command:
    Code:
     adb shell 
    make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
    reboot
    Boot back to TWRP and flash the rom

If all of the above is Greek to you, spend some time reading through my Beginners guide (link in my signature).
    If you're still lost ask for the missing parts here.
    Good luck

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Flashed in fastboot to TWRP 2.8.5 and am waiting for data being formatted.
    In the meanwhile I'm downloading the ROM again and will control the checksum, can't find Nandroid

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    So formatting works with 2.8.5? Great!
    If you had the nandroid on internal - sure enough, it's gone if you have to format...
    Look at it this way: You learned two valuable lessons:
    Always check which recovery you need to flash a new rom.
    Never store backups on internal media (unless you keep a copy of it somewhere else).

This just as a heads-up for Lollipop updates. Looks as if it's more important than ever to check your recovery version.
    On my HTC M8 the LP firmware update totally re-partitions the internal emmc. Older versions of TWRP flashed by block number, as in the boot image would be flashed, let's say, to mmcblk0p4 ('cause that used to be the boot partition). But after the update your boot partition is now mmcblk0p7.... Not a good scenario!
    The latest versions flash by partition name - much safer.
    On our tablets it works different, but still - just as an example what flashing with the wrong recovery could cause....
    Last edited by droidbound; 03-13-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep, 2.8.5 worked sweet. Next time I will be more careful where to place my backups. THANKS for your help and quick support!
    I'm just afraid TF700 will have retire soon, even after a clean install it's REAL sluggish (compared to my packed Moto G) abd I'm getting seriously annoyed trying to do anything with it...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
    Yep, 2.8.5 worked sweet. Next time I will be more careful where to place my backups. THANKS for your help and quick support!
    I'm just afraid TF700 will have retire soon, even after a clean install it's REAL sluggish (compared to my packed Moto G) abd I'm getting seriously annoyed trying to do anything with it...
    Which kernel and tweaks did you choose in your rom installation. There should be a few options you can choose (including f2fs on some roms like Katkiss) that can make this device fly. I'll let Droidbound fill you in on some of those.
    Hivemind likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links