Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times

KatKiss-KitKat on TF700--Not for me

On the KatKiss444 thread on XDA, TF700 user das chaos reported "no issues" using KatKiss on his 700:
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #036 ] [F2FS] [Floating + MultiWindow] - Post #566 - XDA Forums
    Perhaps there is something not-quite-right in my head, but this started the gears up there turning, and they are not easy to stop. Or ignore. So I tried it. After all, I have had very good luck with KatKiss on my 300, and I think I'll keep the Lollipop version for a while, it flat-out rocks.

Not such good luck with the 700. Perhaps das chaos has no issues, but I have several. I wanted to like this ROM on the 700 but I can't. Details later...

Couple of installation tips, if I don't scare you off:

das chaos points out that you must change the first line of updater-script in the ROM .zip to tf700 from tf300t. Well, make that tf700t or it fails. Also, bone up on your zip-file handling skills; mine are rusty, I wound up with an extra folder in my repacked .zip, so again it failed. The .zip should have boot.blob in its root level, and two folders.

Since I suspected some file corruption I formatted /data before flashing (good idea anyway), then went back to f2fs as the tablet seems to like it a lot. I couldn't find anywhere it said specifically that the Grimlock v4 kernel for TF700t supported f2fs, but I somehow had the impression it did. So after all my escapades with failed flashes, after I finally got the ROM flashed, then the kernel, wiped Dalvik and cached, and rebooted, it hung on the boot animation. What is often mis-called a bootloop. I'm not that fond of timduru's boot animation, I got tired of it after an hour or so.

So back to recovery, format /data to ext4 again (long process!), re-flash ROM and kernel, re-wipe Dalvik and cache, and reboot. Successfully this time, although of course the first boot always takes a long time.

But a successful boot does not make for a successful ROM. The first thing I did not like was that everything on the screen was tiny! I'm guessing that das chaos' eyes are a LOT better than mine. I scoured the settings, changed everything I could find that might help. Mainly these were font size and nav-bar size. Helped some, not enough. I still cannot read the clock.

Well maybe the ROM will be so quick I'll put up with all that? I installed Amazon Appstore and opened it. It seemed to have stability problems, but it was an older version, and an update seemed to cure that. Installed League of Light: Dark Omens and tried to play it. It played terrible. Horrible lags, took 2 or 3 taps to get it to recognize a touch. Not what I'm used to at all in this tablet. Just this game? OK, tried Mystic Diary2, a much lighter game (it downloads at 35MB or so, rather than 600+). It runs much better, but still not right, as if the touch sensitivity has been turned down somehow. Exit the games, run ES File Explorer or NOAA Weather Free, and the screen responds normally. Understand that KatKiss screams on the TF300 which is not as fast as the 700, at least not natively.

I can only conclude that the ROM needs to be properly fitted to the tablet by the developer. While technically it works, from my point of view it is unusable. CROMi-X, a stock-based ROM, runs circles around it. Perhaps I can find a bootlooped 700 on e-bay and send it to timduru?

So the next question is what next? Back to CROMi-X, the old reliable mule? CROMBi-KK, my last experiment, that I suspect had filesystem corruption problems? I'm thinking about the new Lollipop OMNI homemade. @droidbound reports that it works very well with data2sd, which would make sense, as the stuff accessed a lot would NOT be located on the cheap internal memory. But it means I'll have to find a good microSD card somewhere...
    droidbound likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Your posts are always so much fun to read!!!!
    You're still a little feverish, right?
    Flashing a TF300 rom on the TF700 on account of a recommendation by a user named "Das Chaos"??????????????????
    LMAO

A port of KatKiss to the TF700 would be great! But I don't see anybody taking on that project anytime soon.
    Do you still have it on tablet?
    You could change dpi to the 240 default in /system/build.prop which may take care of the font and nav bar size, but I doubt that would be the only change necessary. The TF201 and 300 are very similar. But the TF700 is quite a bit different.

I still love the OMNI homemade pre-release. The user interface is just... elegant.
    I have a bit of trouble with the data2sd hack though. Had 3 full-out freezes on it and the last_kmsg indicates problems with the card (according to _that - I don't know how to read those things...). I was using a Sandisk Ultra class 10 which works fine for any other purpose...
    So right now I'm running it with data on internal and that is not much fun. Reminds me of stock......
    I just now downloaded TricksterMod and disabled fsync and that seems to help quite a bit. Probably will try a different govenor/scheduler and play with those a little....

I ordered a Samsung 32GB EVO Class 10 UHS-1 SDHC, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.
    I let you know if that works any better.
    I mean, the OMNI homemade probably needs work. It's an unofficial release, not even beta! _that kernel works with it but is not optimized for it....
    But heck! For what it is, it's great!

Edit: Yeah! fsync off, scheduler = row, govenor = interactive makes it usable with data internal.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-06-2015 at 01:48 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Still running CROMI-X myself. I admit I don't use my TF700 much any more but I sure like the performance with CROMI. You are way more adventurous than I. When you find a good o e I may change so keep up the good experimentation!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    My take on it is that CROMi-X is what Asus should have done. Just before they started working on the KitKat release, right? It's fast, stable, smooth, sustainable, and does everything that 99% of users need it to. It's just not spectacular. I was hoping that the combination of KatKiss' lean-and-mean attitude and the TF700's speed would add up to spectacular, and it just didn't. No regrets, of course, it's all about the learning experience. Maybe saved someone else the trouble.

Yes, I could probably tweak stuff, starting with DPI. Given my abilities and general bull-headedness (traditional in-family term of endearment that I just made up) I could probably get it to be useable eventually. But by then I'm positive some dev (REAL dev, that is) will have a much better ROM going, one that might just add up to "spectacular". Perhaps the OMNI-LP?

edit: @DB, is there a discussion thread for that OMNI? I found the DL but no discuss. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 01-06-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Wow! I did not expect this! This is nothing short of amazing....

My TF700 never ran this well! I have been comparing it side-to-side with the TF701 and this is the first time that it rivals it in snappiness, smooth scrolling, opening and changing between apps. I'm floored....

This is with the pre-release OMNI L (soon to be released as ZOMBi-POP) by lj50036 & Co
    with data2sd on a Samsung EVO 32gb class10 SDHC
    /data formatted to f2fs

The Samsung card seems to work a lot better with data2sd than the Scandisk Ultra class 10.
    A1 SD bench gives me similar read speeds on both cards, in the 26 - 29 mbs range, whith the Samsung EVO consistently a touch faster.
    But write speeds is quite a difference:
    Scandisk: 6 - 8 mbs
    Samsung: 14 - 17 mbs

I ran it with data2sd, data ext4, on the Samsung card for a couple of days. I did not get any freeze as I did on the Scandisk card. Performance was ok, better than running /data on internal, but nothing spectacular.

Yesterday night I changed /data on the external to f2fs, reflashed the rom with mini PA gapps and left it alne overnight. The wow-moment came when I picked it up this morning.
    This is still a bare bones installation - have to see how it holds up over time.
    This could be a very fun to rom to run on this tablet!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post

edit: @DB, is there a discussion thread for that OMNI? I found the DL but no discuss. Thanks!
    Well, kinda....
    In the ROM thread for ZOMBi-KK, post # 653+
    lj threw this out, probably just to shut us up and there has been some discussion about it. But it's really OT in that thread and I'm not very comfortable with that. It's messy to discuss a new rom in the same thread .... even if the OP started the mess. LOL
    I have been thinking of opening a proxy thread, but then..... the release of ZOMBi-POP (I hope they don't stay with that name!) may be just around the corner.
    I'll wait a few days, then maybe I'll open one anyway....

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I tried it anyway. While it is leagues ahead of KatKiss in useability, I'm afraid it's still not there, for me anyway. One game I was testing it with showed me a hint circle, with its center roughly 1cm off the left side of the screen. And as you pointed out it's still laggy. Maybe next release?

I'm with you, please no ZOMBi-POP. 6-year olds might buy these at convenience stores around Halloween...

I went back to CROMi-X for now. I'd forgotten how configurable it is, and I added a few of the performance tweaks (fsync off, OC, etc). If it ever becomes practical to use Droids at work this will be my workhorse, and I wanted max reliability out of it; you just don't get that out of experimental performance ROMs.

But...just in case...please keep me posted on the new stuff, I'm likely to miss it.
    droidbound likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Wow we really are in a development renaissance. I haven't seen any other tablets (with the exception of maybe the nexus 7) which have this many unique projects being actively developed. Even the nexus 9 hardly has any ROM support. Last I checked there were two.
    droidbound likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Wow we really are in a development renaissance. I haven't seen any other tablets (with the exception of maybe the nexus 7) which have this many unique projects being actively developed. Even the nexus 9 hardly has any ROM support. Last I checked there were two.
    Yes, amazing how a handful of devs make the difference between some obsolete underpowered paving blocks and a family of high-powered instruments. We are lucky to have some of the very best working on the TF line. We should not forget...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links