Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any way to check my TF700 drive for errors?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times

Any way to check my TF700 drive for errors?

I've recently hit a looping error on my custom ROM (CROMI-X). I presume it's the latest one ([ROM]★★[JB 4.2.1][CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.0.2][ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.1][SEP 8]★★).

The problem I am having is similar to the one mentioned on the XDA forums (Frozen on CHROMI-X Asus bootup screen - xda-developers), where the loading gets stuck on the CROMI-X flashing logo. (I left my tablet on for 12 hours; the battery completely drained.)

Now, I've tried to use ADB and LOGCAT the boot process, but ADB can't find a device attached. I entered the TeamWin recovery boot and wiped cache and Davalik cache; it let me boot into the Android install-screen where the OS tells me it is optimizing my apps. But when the system reboots, I get stuck at the flashing CROMI-X loading screen again. (I got impatient after two hours and rebooted again.)

Only when I wipe both caches AND the data will the tablet let me into the CROMI-X UI (and lets me use ADB to LOGCAT from bootup). Except I now need to re-install Titanium Backup and restore all my apps one-by-one. (The last TWRP backup I made takes me back to the first time I installed CROMI-X four months ago; I do have TiBackups of 90% of my apps though.)

Before I do that, I am getting a little worried about the stability of my TF700 internal memory and wanted to ask if there was any tool that would let me scan my TF700 and see if there are any bad sectors to recover?

The day I hit the flashing CROMI-X logo, I had to reboot the system because the System UI suffered a nasty crash. Maybe because I was opening up multiple browsers, browser windows, Google Maps, etc., but the prompt "System UI has crashed" kept popping up, even after I held the power button to enter the reboot screen. I just held the power down and let the system shut off. When I turned the system back on, the background reset itself to the default ASUS tree. I could change the desktop background (to the only wallpaper available on CROMI; the dark island), but when I attempted to change the lock-screen background (by opening a PNG file of one of the ASUS default wallpapers), the system froze. I let it sit there for maybe 40 minutes before I held the power switch down. This time upon reboot, flashing logo of death.

In the words of Gob Bluth, I think I've made a huge mistake.

I'd like to see how viable my TF700 still is because I'm just a LITTLE worried of continuing my path of re-installing Titanium Backup and restoring my apps. Should I format the entire internal SDcard and re-install CROMI-X?
    Last edited by rt1999; 01-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    I've moved your thread to the ROM section of the TF700 forum which I think is the best place for your post.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Could you post some more information:
    What bootloader are you on and which TWRP version do you have installed?
    The system UI crash indicates that you have some incompatability on the system level and we have to address that first.
    You can run a check though terminal command on the disc, but I have yet to see a case where that actually helped.
    I look up the command when I get home.
    You probably will have to format your data partition and reinstall the ROM, and you're about six releases behind, the latest version is 5.3.
    Copy anything of importance onto a microSD. You may be able to use the file manager built into TWRP to do that.
    But most importantly, let me know what BL and recovery combo you are running.
    And then we have to talk about TiBu. Seems you haven't discovered batch actions yet

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    There is a simple solution to your problem... but you might not like it depending on how much free time you have.

You see even if you are doing a full factory reset in TWRP, it only partially formats the device. This is a very shallow format which leaves your media folder (with all your files) intact. This means that over time, with many ROM flashes your memory will start to get corrupted.

The easy solution is to do a full data wipe in TWRP (called "Format Data")
    However you need to prepare for this as it will wipe and format all data.
    It just so happens that I went throught the same steps today wiping my rooted nexus 4 phone, I have gotten very efficient at it so it took about half an hour on the computer.

What you need to do:
    1. make a nandroid backup of you current system
    2. make a Titanium Backup of all the apps you would like to transfer over.
    3. Connect your tablet to a computer or insert a micro sd card of sufficient memory.
    4. Transfer the nandroid, titanium backup, and any other files, downloads, pictures, etc you would like to keep onto a folder on your PC, or the card. Make sure you remember where the files need to be returned to on the tablet file system. for example all the titanium backups will need to go back into the "Titanium backup folder" that is created when you reinstall it from the play store and open it for the first time.

Once you have everything removed that you want to keep, you need to put a copy of CROMI X onto a micro sd card so that you can reinstall it again after wiping. Remember you will not have any operating system to boot into after executing the wipe function. It would be a good idea to check that TWRP can "see" the micro sd card before wiping.

After you wipe, it is simply a matter of setting CROMI back up again, installing titanium backup, and copying the files back over to the tablet. You can even extract app backups from the Nandroids if you have Titanium Backup Pro.

If you want to "cheat" a little bit, you can simply restore the nandroid backup after wiping and everything will be as it was before. It is not the same as a "clean" install but the memory will not be corrupted anymore (the nandroid does not back up any of the corruptions )

Hope this helps you. I have done it many times before and it sure does make a difference especially if you are one to "dirty flash" with no wipes often.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times

Question

Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    What bootloader are you on and which TWRP version do you have installed?
    Brain's a little scrambled at the moment, but at boot, the Android cardhu-user is using bootloader 1.00e released by US_epad-10.6.1.14.10-20130801 A03. TWRP v2.6.3.1 is in the recovery partition.

The system UI crash indicates that you have some incompatability on the system level and we have to address that first.
    That's... odd. Considering I don't think I installed anything in the past 24 hours. (In the past 48, just a single game from Amazon's App Store who only asked for Internet capabilities.) Because of the wallpaper foul-up, and a few other issues (calendar program Pi, installed via Amazon Apps, started to cause some pop-ups indicating installation an error had occurred... but after a few dismissals, the pop-ups stopped and the program continued to run.)

Maybe it's a control-freak nature, but I'd like to see if there's anything wrong with the internal flash memory.

Copy anything of importance onto a microSD. You may be able to use the file manager built into TWRP to do that ... And then we have to talk about TiBu. Seems you haven't discovered batch actions yet
    Well, most of my files are saved to the microSD; most of the important stuff would be in the system settings (saved Wi-Fi passwords, high-scores, etc.). I also thought batch-actions were only reserved for the full version of TiBu?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    1. make a nandroid backup of you current system
    2. make a Titanium Backup of all the apps you would like to transfer over.
    3. Connect your tablet to a computer or insert a micro sd card of sufficient memory.
    4. Transfer the nandroid, titanium backup, and any other files, downloads, pictures, etc you would like to keep onto the card.
    Make sure you remember where the files need to be returned to on the tablet file system. for example all the titanium backups will need to go back into the "Titanium backup folder" that is created when you reinstall it from the play store and open it for the first time.
    Nandroid backup... I think I've done that once; should I do it often?

Once you have everything removed that you want to keep, you need to put a copy of CROMI X onto a micro sd card so that you can reinstall it again after wiping. Remember you will not have any operating system to boot into after executing the wipe function. It would be a good idea to check that TWRP can "see" the micro sd card before wiping.
    Alright. The latest CROMI-X is 5.3 but, and I might be reading this wrong, isn't the TF700 only compatible with 5.2?
    [ROM]★●[TF300T/G/L/201/301][CROMi-X 5.3][ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][01/18]●★ - xda-developers

If you want to "cheat" a little bit, you can simply restore the nandroid backup after wiping and everything will be as it was before. It is not the same as a "clean" install but the memory will not be corrupted anymore (the nandroid does not back up any of the corruptions )
    Actually, I made a backup of the system/data/boot with TWRP during one of the reboots, just so I had an "image" of the failed boot. Is there any reason to keep this? (I'd love to be able to extract the data/data folder.)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1999 View Post
    Brain's a little scrambled at the moment, but at boot, the Android cardhu-user is using bootloader 1.00e released by US_epad-10.6.1.14.10-20130801 A03. TWRP v2.6.3.1 is in the recovery partition.
    Everything good here..

Maybe it's a control-freak nature, but I'd like to see if there's anything wrong with the internal flash memory.
    You can run fsck on the data partition if you insist. That will check the file structure on that partition. But what will you do if it returns lots of errors? Format the partition.... fsck can take hours if there are lots of errors. If at all let it run overnight. But I would save myself the trouble and just format data as gtanner suggested. You'll have to do that anyway eventually. If you are worried about the physical integrity of the disc - I doubt it. Android handles bad blocks pretty well, takes them out of circulation so to speak. It keeps a table of bad blocks somewhere but I have no idea how to get that log... If you STILL want to run fsck, here's how to do it:

Boot into TWRP
    Under Advanced mount, then unmount /data
    Choose the Terminal from the Advanced menu and run
    Code:
    e2fsck -fvyD /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

Well, most of my files are saved to the microSD; most of the important stuff would be in the system settings (saved Wi-Fi passwords, high-scores, etc.). I also thought batch-actions were only reserved for the full version of TiBu?
    And you don't have it???? Well worth the few bucks!!!!!!

Nandroid backup... I think I've done that once; should I do it often?
    Every time you have a well running system you may want to return to if something goes haywire and/or each time before you flash something new. Or each time you reach a new high-score in your games so you can get them back if something happens - like now. I keep my last two nandroids off the tablet.

Alright. The latest CROMI-X is 5.3 but, and I might be reading this wrong, isn't the TF700 only compatible with 5.2?
    [ROM]★●[TF300T/G/L/201/301][CROMi-X 5.3][ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][01/18]●★ - xda-developers
    That's the TF300 rom - hope you didn't flash that.... CROMi-X any version (except 6.x - those are for the TF701) runs on the TF700 - with the correct bootloader of course.

Actually, I made a backup of the system/data/boot with TWRP during one of the reboots, just so I had an "image" of the failed boot. Is there any reason to keep this? (I'd love to be able to extract the data/data folder.)
    After you formatted data, reinstalled the rom (and made a nandroid after you went through setup) you could try to restore just the data portion of that earlier nandroid. In TWRP you can choose which partitions to restore from a nandroid.
    But I would be reluctant to do so after you just formatted that partition because of some problem.
    You can also try Nandroid Manager. I believe it works with TWRP backups and you can extract just certain files from the nandroid.
    But seriously - unless it's crucial data you cannot loose - it's much faster to re-install apps from the Play Store, copy data from a backup or sign into your wifi networks again.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    Swipe likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times

Lightbulb

If you are worried about the physical integrity of the disc - I doubt it. Android handles bad blocks pretty well, takes them out of circulation so to speak.
    Any guess as to how long these internal SD drives are supposed to last? Maybe it's too early to worry, but I do.
    (Odd, 4441 inodes used, 748556 blocks used, 0 bad blocks, 1 large file... 0 bad blocks? Really?)

And you don't have it???? Well worth the few bucks!!!!!!
    That's actually a good argument for the full TiBU, though that leads to my next question:

Every time you have a well running system you may want to return to if something goes haywire and/or each time before you flash something new... I keep my last two nandroids off the tablet.
    What's the difference between a TWRP backup, a Nandroid backup, and using TiBU?

I'm opening up various TWRP backup files (tar/gz). I know TiBU are ZIP files. Nandroids... are like ISO images?

The TWRP tar files seem OK when I de-compress them on my PC. But won't restoring it on a blank/formatted/re-CROMI'd TF700 cause errors because the files might be going to different locations on the internal drive?

While I'm still talking about the TWRP files, since they're de-compressed on the microSD, after reformatting with the latest CROMI-X, can I reinstall my apps from the APK files in TWRP's decompressed data/apk folder?
    Last edited by rt1999; 01-29-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1999 View Post
    Any guess as to how long these internal SD drives are supposed to last? Maybe it's too early to worry, but I do.
    (Odd, 4441 inodes used, 748556 blocks used, 0 bad blocks, 1 large file... 0 bad blocks? Really?)
    Odd why?
    Traditional HDDs used to fail following the "bathtub curve": a larger number (5+%) failing during the first year due to manufacturing defects, then the curve flattens out (the tried and true) until about 3 years of age and then steadily climbs (the effects of age).
    SSD seem to fail at a very low rate during the first year (1+%) and then the rate slowly but steadily increases with 80+% still going strong after 4 years. And those were reports from server farms!

In my mind nothing of that matters. Your SSD may never fail for the life of the tablet or it may fail tomorrow - who cares if you prepare for the latter? Ever since I started to store important data on disc(s) my mantra has been:
    Data not backed up is data not yet lost.
    Redundancy is the name of the game. The least important and most easily replaceable of my data (media mostly) exists in at least 3 locations: On a computer, local backup and in the cloud. Important data I have synced to each and any of my devices and backed up in the cloud and locally. And all that is very easy to accomplish with a minimum of fuss if you take advantage of the technology out there.

What's the difference between a TWRP backup, a Nandroid backup, and using TiBU?
    I'm opening up various TWRP backup files (tar/gz). I know TiBU are ZIP files. Nandroids... are like ISO images?
    Generally you use TiBu to back up apps and their data. Backups made in recovery are called nandroids and yes, they are like ISO images. In a nandroid you backup whole partitions. Selectively or collectively. Your data can be backed up any which way but if you want to preserve or backup your system, a nandroid is the way to go.

The TWRP tar files seem OK when I de-compress them on my PC. But won't restoring it on a blank/formatted/re-CROMI'd TF700 cause errors because the files might be going to different locations on the internal drive?
    Android doesn't care on which block any given piece of data "lived". What's preserved in a nandroid is the file structure.
    Anything that existed in /data/media/pictures will be restored to /data/media/pictures - bingo.

While I'm still talking about the TWRP files, since they're de-compressed on the microSD, after reformatting with the latest CROMI-X, can I reinstall my apps from the APK files in TWRP's decompressed data/apk folder?
    Have never tried it and never will since it's so much easier using TiBu, but theoretically that should be possible. I bet it would be much easier to just re-install everything from the Play Store though.....
    In most instances it is ok to restore apps and their data from a backup after a clean installation (never restore system data except in a nandroid restore). But if your system was unstable it could be related to apps you were running. Restoring the apps could restore the problem.
    So if you run into trouble after restoring apps and data from a backup, wipe everything again, reinstall the rom and then restore the apps from their original sources slowly to find and identify the culprit(s).
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-29-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Odd why?
    Considering the System UI crashing, the bootlooping, I thought there would be at least ONE bad block. I've been hit once with the 5% failure-rate of a HDD twice; one corrupt boot sector was fixed with a re-format, another one a corrupt MBR which I forget what I did (probably just an RMA). I worry it's not an accumulation of bad sectors/blocks, just that one failure in the one place that screws everything around.

I guess I'm still a little new to external server (cloud) technology; I'm still using DVDs (and no WiFi).

Backups made in recovery are called nandroids and yes, they are like ISO images.
    So what TWRP does is called a nandroid backup? I thought there was another app for that?

And when it comes to restoration, I'll probably try it tomorrow when I'm less feverish, but when I enter the Recovery sector and try to restore the TWRP backup I made the night after the failure, I hit the bootloop. If I format the TF700, install a new ROM, and try to restore the TWRP save from last night, won't I hit another bootloop?

Er, I think I'll come back to edit this after a nap, because I'm not sure what I just typed.

But if your system was unstable it could be related to apps you were running. Restoring the apps could restore the problem.
    Running through my factory-reset system, there are still hiccups (switching tabs sometimes jitters, closing/opening file explorer sometimes causes stuttering), but it turns on and off faster. Man I wish I could figure out which part of the data went bad as I was restoring instead of installing. Or that's the same thing in another direction.

I think my system is due for a complete system format anyway and see if the system still jitters with a clean ROM?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links