Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any way to check my TF700 drive for errors?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I would suggest you create an entirely new TWRP nandroid. You can keep the older ones, or delete them if you want. Just make sure you have a copy of a working backup off the tablet.

After you format the memory, I would suggest you install as much as you can from the play store rather than resorting to backups. For the apps you want to restore data from, you can use the free app nandroid manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3t1c.bkrestore, or the pro version of Titanium to selectively restore apps/data from existing nandroids. In theory, you shouldn't need to create separate backup files in titanium if you have working nandroids.

Once you completely format all data blocks (remember you need that micro SD card with the ROM zip) you shouldn't have any corruption problems. These errors happen naturally over time especially when you are installing roms. Understand that the solid state drive is very forgiving and formatting it completely will return things to a new state again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    droidbound likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I meant to ask you about 3 posts back: Have you used the CROMi Control app in the app drawer to adjust settings, dpi or anything else? Unfortunately that app (developed by somebody else - not sbdags) has proven to lead to data corruption if you reboot from it.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the crashes or bootloops - they don't physically damage your disc. They just tell you about some serious incompatibilities - to express it politely.
    I have gone through numerous bootloops/hung boots and my system runs flawlessly now - and so will yours.
    To restore the entire backup you made in TWRP would defeat the purpose in my opinion. You don't want to restore the system or boot partitions just after you installed a new version of your rom.
    You COULD just restore the data partition if you have stuff there you can't live without, but I in your place would go with this strategy:
    Format data in TWRP
    Install CROMi-X 5.3
    reboot and go through the setup
    test the rom with the apps installed
    If everything is fine make a nandroid of this system in TWRP, let's call it "clean nandroid"
    Boot into TWRP, choose "Restore" and find the nandroid you made after the crash
    Deselect everything but "data" and swipe the button to restore your data partition
    Once that is done, go back to the TWRP Home page, choose "Install" and reinstall CROMi-X 5.3 (the restore of your old data partition wiped some parts of the rom installed to /data, so you want to re-flash it)
    Reboot to system
    If you experience any hang ups, problems, freezes it will prove that you cannot use that nandroid.
    In that case, boot back into TWRP and restore your "clean nandroid"
    Re-install your apps from the Play Store, extract your data from the old TWRP backup if necessary and copy it to the tablet etc
    Once you have everything installed and working properly, make another nandroid in TWRP and copy it to safe location.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I meant to ask you about 3 posts back: Have you used the CROMi Control app in the app drawer to adjust settings, dpi or anything else? Unfortunately that app (developed by somebody else - not sbdags) has proven to lead to data corruption if you reboot from it.
    Didn't even know about that app. Though DPI changing sounds attractive. (Reboot from the app? You mean have the app reboot the system?

I wouldn't worry too much about the crashes or bootloops - they don't physically damage your disc. They just tell you about some serious incompatibilities - to express it politely.
    Really? Wish there was a neater way to fix these incompatibilities without having to reinstall everything though.

-Did a full "Format" in TWRP
    -Installed CROMi-X 5.3 deodex
    -Rebooted, went through the CROMi-X setup (TF700T)
    -Chose _that's stock 10.6.1.14.8 kernel (any reason to choose other kernels?), normal install, WW locale
    -Added a bunch of apps, 50mW under-volt, cache to microSD
    -Finished install, was returned to Recovery; selected Reboot (didn't catch the button to wipe cache/data until after I clicked Reboot; was that important?)
    -Logged into the ROM and fiddled with the installed apps such as Polaris Office
    -Re-installed PPPwidget off an APK to use USB dongle, no issues found
    -Rebooted
    -Bootloop

Well damn.

At least this time I can run ADB LOGCAT. Hit that very familiar FATAL EXCEPTION found on the XDA forum thread.

-Did another full "Format" in Recovery
    -Installed CROMi-X 5.3 again (TF700T)
    -Chose _that's stock 10.6.1.14.8 kernel, normal install, WW edition
    -Added ASUS stock launcher, ASUS supernote, ASUS dictionary, Google Mail, Google Wallpapers, TiBU, Dropbox, Terminal, LMT, ZIP align, Dock DEL/ALT keys, 50mW under-volt, cache to microSD
    -Finished install, returned to Recovery, went straight to Reboot
    -Logged into the ROM and fiddled with the installed apps, changed basic settings
    -Settings crashed just before I added a profile picture, but nothing major
    -Rebooted
    -No issues, so I installed PPPwidget off an APK file again; forgot to install Polaris Office
    -Changed icon arrangements, rebooted, no issues
    -Opened TiBU, gave it root rights... system suddenly reboots before rights are given
    -After reboot, try TiBU again; it asks for root privledges, granted... accidentally clicked on Activae Data Profile and need to force quit app
    -Tried TiBU again, this time clicking ADP completed
    -Went to the AppDrawer and opened CROMI Control; after a few tries of granting permission and awkwardly clicking TF300 resolution (which lowered the resolution further), rebooting (outside the app) and then changing into Stock resolution, things look... nice.

This sounds stable enough?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1999 View Post
    Didn't even know about that app. Though DPI changing sounds attractive.
    You can change your DPI in the build.prop...

-Did a full "Format" in TWRP
    Did you type "yes" and hit enter?

-Added a bunch of apps, 50mW under-volt, cache to microSD
    You may want to remove the 50mV UV script from your init.d folder or Not install the 50mV UV..

Good luck...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKDnow View Post

Did you type "yes" and hit enter?

You may want to remove the 50mV UV script from your init.d folder or Not install the 50mV UV..

Good luck...
    Eric! So good to see you over here! LOL!

That's what I would suspect: the undervolting and cache2sd (useless IMHO).
    You should have neither sudden reboots nor crashes on CROMi-X. If you do, something is not right.
    I would reflash the rom with these options:
    normal installation
    _that v7 kernel (leave oc values at the default)
    fsync off
    If you can reproduce a crash run a logcat and post it.
    Also after a sudden reboot pull the last kernel log from an adb shell and post it:
    Code:
    adb shell cat /proc/last_ksmg > last_ksmg.txt

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Eric! So good to see you over here! LOL!

That's what I would suspect: the undervolting and cache2sd (useless IMHO).
    You should have neither sudden reboots nor crashes on CROMi-X. If you do, something is not right.
    I would reflash the rom with these options:
    normal installation
    _that v7 kernel (leave oc values at the default)
    fsync off
    If you can reproduce a crash run a logcat and post it.
    Also after a sudden reboot pull the last kernel log from an adb shell and post it:
    Code:
    adb shell cat /proc/last_ksmg > last_ksmg.txt
    I agree..

I don't recall that I had any problem with Cromi at all unless I tinkered around with tweaks...

I just stop by to Hi... It is really quiet over xda...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    I agree..

I don't recall that I had any problem with Cromi at all unless I tinkered around with tweaks...

I just stop by to Hi... It is really quiet over xda...
    And I appreciate it! That's the problem if you have a rom that just works....
    A lot of folks just show up when they need help - not addicts like you and me..LOL
    Which, btw, is totally fine with me...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    I thought that was just for text size? (226, 240, etc.)

And yes, after doing a full-format, the TeamWin recovery bumped me back to the prompt (also with a button that asks if I want to clear the cache and Dalvic cache as well.

I can do that Without reformatting? (system\etc\init.d\*UC and system\etc\init.d\*cache2sd)
    Also, is there something wrong with either options?

Plus one question about the resolution control in Cromi; is it supposed to cut off the bottom of the screen in tf300 mode when i rotate? I like the bigger icons and text compared to stock mode, but the autorotate cutting up the screen is a little nuts.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Yes, it is a text size.. Originally, it is resided in the kernel ramdisk with a default of 240. Developers move it to the build.prop so users can change it at will.

I can do that Without reformatting? (system\etc\init.d\*UC and system\etc\init.d\*cache2sd)
    You can deactivate the cache2sd auto script with this command in your terminal: cache2sd -u

Sometime, users reports a weird behavior when they are using cache2sd. I did not know much about it.

50mV UV is working fine for most users but some devices can not handle that low of the voltages for the CPU so it causes an instability with reboot. You are maybe one of those users.

Plus one question about the resolution control in Cromi; is it supposed to cut off the bottom of the screen in tf300 mode when i rotate? I like the bigger icons and text compared to stock mode, but the autorotate cutting up the screen is a little nuts.
    I never change my resolution so I don't have the answer for you..

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times

And yes, after doing a full-format, the TeamWin recovery bumped me back to the prompt (also with a button that asks if I want to clear the cache and Dalvic cache as well.

Not sure about changing resolution
    There are two different things: text size, and actual screen resolution. (you should be able to return to the default since we know your problem was the undervolt.

Anything you want to change in the ROM can be done by dirty flashing the ROM and going through the installer again. This will adjust all of the tweaks, kernels and settings for you. Alternatively. There is a kernel tweaks flashable zip on the cromi thread which let's you adjust these things without reinstalling the ROM

Hope this helped you
    GT

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links