Thread: ROM help/advice

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times

ROM help/advice

So some of you have seen my comments/likes/questions so far as I just got my refurb TF700 this week. I have been reading about ROMs and would like to know, how do I check which one is installed on mine?

I'd like to know what the best/most common one the forum members use b/c obviously the stock/installed ROM sounds too slow/laggy/etc. How do I go about removing the current ROM and installing a new one?

Thanks everyone for your help - sorry but I did try to search the forums so if I missed it, I apologize in advance.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Moved to Tf700 Infinity ROM section of the forum.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1998 View Post
    So some of you have seen my comments/likes/questions so far as I just got my refurb TF700 this week. I have been reading about ROMs and would like to know, how do I check which one is installed on mine?

I'd like to know what the best/most common one the forum members use b/c obviously the stock/installed ROM sounds too slow/laggy/etc. How do I go about removing the current ROM and installing a new one?

Thanks everyone for your help - sorry but I did try to search the forums so if I missed it, I apologize in advance.
    If you are on Android 4.2.1, 10.6.1.14.4/8, then this is the process:
    1. Unlock via ASUS unlock tool
    2. Root via Motochopper
    3. Install GooManager from Play Store, after given root rights', click the top right hand corner and click "Install openscript recovery"
    4. Download CROMiX 4.6.5, either Odex or DeOdex work fine, and put it on a micro SD card and insert it into the tablet. Or just put the zip onto the MicroSD already in the tablet.
    5. Boot into TWRP recovery by shutting off the tablet, and holding both the power button and the volume down button(the one pointing towards the power button, so pointing left) until you come into the boot loader, a screen with 3 icons, and use the volume up button on RCK to enter recovery.
    6. Click install and find your MicroSD card, and choose the CROMiX zip file. It will begin the install process. Choose what you use and unselect what you do not, if you are unsure, leave it as is. There is a page about FSYNC. FSYNC is good to enable ONLY if you have data you cannot lose, otherwise, disable it because it increases performance tremendously.

Motochopper can be found in the General section over in XDA, and CROMiX can be found in the Dev section of XDA, while the unlock tool can be found on ASUS website.

CROMiX can be flashed over stock, any others require a full wipe of the device so I suggest using CROMiX as the first rom so you can become used to the process.

Questions are welcomed if you are confused, need more information, or if something needs more clarification.

UNLOCKING VOIDS WARRANTY! and since it is refurbished, the unlock tool may not work, but you will only know when you receive or try it.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Tylorw1; 06-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    jt1998 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    Thank you Tylor!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone explain me what is a ROM?

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyp13 View Post
    Can anyone explain me what is a ROM?
    A ROM is, in the Android world, an unfortunate mis-naming of what is normally called "firmware". So what's meant is the actual operating system, in this case Android, stored in the internal Flash-based non-volatile memory of the device. The alternative "ROM"s are versions of Android which have been created by someone else and is different from the "stock" ROM which is created by Asus (with original coming from Google. The variants are also based on the Google software of course, but they add their own variants for some components).

A well-known third-party version of Android is called Cyanogenmod and works not only on Asus tablets but also on mobile phones. Depending on the device it may or may not be better than the original "stock" version. On my tablets I run the stock Asus versions, on my ZTE Blade mobile phone I run Cyanogenmod because on that device I not only get a much newer version of Android with Cyanogenmod, I also get a device which is three times faster and use three times less battery.
    If you check their website you'll get a good explanation about third-party firmware: CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Jelly Bean

And note that on that site they use the proper term in the actual explanation: "Firmware", which means software stored in non-volatile memory (never mind the title used in the URL itself). Firmware can also be stored in ROM, which means read-only-memory, but that's actually not how firmware is stored on Android devices. That's why I call it an unfortunate mis-nomer: ROM cannot be updated or changed. It's doubly unfortunate that the community keep referring to these alternative firmware distributions as ROM, because there is actually real non-modifiable ROM in the tablets, this ROM contains the little bit of software which is used to flash, boot and load the firmware (alternative or not). Calling flashable firmware ROM makes it difficult to talk about the real ROM in the devices.

-Tor
    Cyp13, droidbound and Howey.r like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for advice

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Nice and clean instructions. I'm curious though:
    1. The ASUS tool, is it the ASUS Utilities tools or something else for the TF700T
    2. Do the ROMs/Firmwares work with the keyboard or am I stuck with stock for that support

Thanks.
    Mike

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SP3NGL3R View Post
    Nice and clean instructions. I'm curious though:
    1. The ASUS tool, is it the ASUS Utilities tools or something else for the TF700T
    2. Do the ROMs/Firmwares work with the keyboard or am I stuck with stock for that support

Thanks.
    Mike
    With "Asus tool" do you mean the Asus Unlock Tool? That is the only way to unlock the bootloader on this device and a prerequisite to flashing custom recoveries and firmware.
    The custom firmwares made for this device work with the dock. Mostly. If you want full functionality go for the CROMi-X rom. It is based on the Asus stock rom, retains all the necessary bits and improves majorly on the annoying bits.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links