Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Installing CyanogenMod on the TF700T

I guess I'll bust the cherry on this section and make it my first post as well. I made an effort to correct some of the ongoing problems with my Infinity by installing CyanogenMod. Mission Success!

Here is my blog post about it ASUS Transform Pad Infinity TF700T Cyanogenmod Installation « DevDm ? Danny Machal

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times

Re: Installing CyanogenMod on the TF700T

Quote Originally Posted by Danny00014 View Post
    I guess I'll bust the cherry on this section and make it my first post as well. I made an effort to correct some of the ongoing problems with my Infinity by installing CyanogenMod. Mission Success!

Here is my blog post about it ASUS Transform Pad Infinity TF700T Cyanogenmod Installation « DevDm ? Danny Machal
    I would like to try this out but sadly I have already upgraded with the OTA jellybean OS. I should of rooted this TF700T first.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Powered by Cyanogenmod !!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    I would like to try this out but sadly I have already upgraded with the OTA jellybean OS. I should of rooted this TF700T first.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    I accidentally upgraded also... Yet now I'm rooted, unlocked and running CleanROM Inheritance 3.4.4.

I'll probably stick to this for a week or two....

See this post http://www.transformerforums.com/for...rooting-2.html

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T - 1.8Ghz - Inheritance 3.4.4
    Last edited by workdowg; 03-04-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    So it sounds like you must be running a previous bootloader to install CM 10.1?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Yes currently that is the case, you can downgrade but it involves using a PC to flash a new bootloader and recovery. Never tried it.

Cromi x works with the current one but it is stock based and not similar to CM
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    May give the CM a whirl when the warranty dies on my tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    I know I like CROMIX on the 300, was the first thing I did when the warranty died and out of all the roms I tried, the CROMIX was the one I stuck with. I want to try Black Bean and CM but I have yet to flash back to an earlier boot loader.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know if there is an ics rom still out there somewhere for the tf700t?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I understand you need to downgrade from the current stock jb 4.2.1 to root.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Let me tell a tail of intrigue, suspense and in the end love. Like all good stories this one is to fill in some gaps and leave the reader fulfilled, wanting a sequel or sorry they read the whole thing. Some of this story is a work of fiction and some is fact. Like a Sea story where truth is the heart of the story but the tail is what you want to hear. I am quite the tech savvy guy with about 100 years of experience building and fixing stuff. I can rub two sticks and tin can together and create something, fix the crack of dawn and coax a turtle out of its shell. But as I get older I have lost the desire to futz with some things. So I just never bothered to modify the TF700, especially since I use it less and less because the lag frustrated me but since I have other devices I would just not use the TF700. Having worked with Linux / DOS extensively and having Jailbroken many iOS devices I'm "not be scared" of bricking a device. A lot of the "tutorials" for ROOT/ROM seem to leave out parts or assume you have rooted the device. They remind me of a contractor telling me once how he was going to build me a building. "We are going to level that land, dig a basement get some guys on the framing and we'll be installing roof trusses in 3 weeks and you'll be using the building in 5 weeks. WOW that was easy - with those directions anyone can build a building. With computers the main constant is that there are MANY ways to get the same end result and its REALLY REALLY hard to totally brick and ruin a device.

This is how I did it. You can get the same end result with other sometimes easier methods. However you have to plan your work and work your plan.

My ROOT AND ROM story.

Kango ROOT. - Install on the PC, set TABLET to USB debugging (in the settings) The new version of KINGO root works GREAT.
    RUN KANGO ROOT follow on screen prompts - ROOTED
    Installed titanium Backup premium and backed up to SD card - copied anything important (pictures, documents) with ES file explorer then pulled SD card and put it to the side.
    With DEVICE - WEB ASUS - SUPPORT - DEVICE - TF700T - OS - ANDROID - pick utilities and latest version of bootloader unlocker. Install the .APK and follow instructions, hit yes for everything and supply your google account info when asked. I was in the latest ASUS firmware.
    REBOOT DEVICE - then reboot it again. You should always reboot any device between procedures and updates as a general rule.
    Install SuperSU app grant access to anything that wants root access. After all is done, you can remove root access from any apps you desire to.
    App Store - TWRP Install and pay for the premium version - run it and look around at the options to see whats up and then get out of this app.
    Download CM 10.x stable from Cyanogenmod.org and google GAPPS and get the GAPPS package that matches CM10 (android 4.3) google GAPPS android 4.3
    USE a file manager like es file explorer or Root Explorer to make sure you know where the downloaded files are. You can copy them to two or three folder locations with no harm and remove all the extra copies after all is done.
    RUN TWRP pick the options to install TWRP as your recovery.
    Here is where it gets a little confusing. When TWRP reboots it WILL NOT automatically be at the TWRP recovery but will reboot to the original OS desktop. Shut down your machine and then hold the left volume button down and restart the the device, pick RCK, right click the volume once and - WAIT - TWRP will load.
    OPEN TWRP and Pick BACKUP and backup your old system (if you want - I did not) INSTALL in TWRP pick the two zip files (the CM ROM and PA_GAPPS) and let it install. You must pick WIPE DATA and WIPE CACHE for a successful install. However Wiping these actually leaves media in the device intact in MEDIA and DOWNLOAD folders.
    Upon reboot it installs CM10 and lands you at a clean desktop.
    I did a backup at this stage.
    Now I wanted CM11 (kit-kat) So why didn't I go right to Kit-Kat. Well my "experience" tells me that incremental updates with known good software often works better than flying directly into "experimental" zones.
    I used the tablet for about an hour and was satisfied that all was well. I restored a few apps to check things out.
    I then installed ROM MANAGER (and paid for the upgrade) as TWRP doesn't work with CM11 (I did this on purpose as I wanted to see and feel the TWRP interface and ROM MANAGER to see how they both worked.
    After installing ROM MANAGER i downloaded CM11 Nightly and googled google apps kit kat and got PA_GAPPS for android 4.4. I put them on an SD card
    I ran ROM manager and looked around the app. I found reboot into recovery and picked ROM MANAGER as my recovery. I then picked REBOOT into RECOVERY (for manual rom management) Rebooted holding the left volume and picked RCK with a right click of the volume which booted ROM MANAGER
    I picked the CM11 and 4.4 GAPPS packages. Now dont panic if you cant find the packages. Just remember a directory that is visible and access-able and remember it. Now reboot your device and when the desktop comes up go to file manager and copy the files to the directory you can access.
    Now reboot and hold left volume button and pick RCK, right click volume to pick RCK, ROM manager will start and again you pick INSTALL and pick the two .zip (CM and GAPPS)
    Let the install begin. WAIT - WAIT it will then boot to CM11 (KitKat) and you will have all the standard google apps. Now you can either install your apps back from google (Which I did) as there may be some optimized for Kit-Kat. Then using titanium backup install DATA into any apps that you want to restore customized settings.

I deleted all the .zip files and used clean-master cleaner to sweep up the empty folder and residual junk.

So this is the tail of how I waited out the rain delay for the Daytona race. After doing this install I still had 4 hours to wait for the race to resume. I used the tablet while downloading 20 apps and it was surprisingly usable and quick to respond. Overall 10/10 satisfied. Overnight I let it install the remaining 300 apps and I am of course still tweaking a few apps, restoring data to a few apps and will install Folder Organizer and restore that backup when I get all the apps installed. I would like to say that battery life is now 30 hours and it gave me more MOJO but i can't. However it is smoother, more responsive. switches apps faster and does boot in about 1/2 the time and shuts down in about 1/3 the time it did before. Widgets do not show up in the app drawer and you have to hold down of the screen till Wallpaper Widgets Settings appears then touch widgets and WAIT, it is slow to load this with a live wallpaper, but much quicker with a static picture.

AVG antivirus scans newly installed apps MUCH faster. I have had one crash / reboot but I may have caused that.

Auto updates work for apps and the CM11 rom.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links