Thread: TF700t most likely bricked

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

TF700t most likely bricked

...and I realize this, but it's still a puzzle and I enjoy trying to exhaust all options before I toss it in the trash.

Anyhow, a few years ago, I was futzing with it and was trying to install CWM and a new bootloader as well as unlocking it with the ASUS unlocker. Well, things didn't go right and I deployed days later and wasn't able to get back to it for a year. Now I pretty much forget any details of what I did or how I did it, but over the years I'll pick it up, try a few options for getting it past the post screen [top left says, "The device is unlocked", in the middle of the screen it says "ASUS, Inspiring Innovation*Persistent Perfection" and the bottom right says, "Powered by NVIDIA TEGRA".] That's as far as it gets. No amount of combination of volume up/down/power/reset-button-in-tiny-hole has gotten me past that. No spinning wheels on the screen that would indicate it is 'thinking'.

Is it bricked absolutely or do I still have a course of action or two that I could pursue?

I will continue to research here as well as other forums, but wanted to query for input/advice at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatmac View Post
    ...and I realize this, but it's still a puzzle and I enjoy trying to exhaust all options before I toss it in the trash.

Anyhow, a few years ago, I was futzing with it and was trying to install CWM and a new bootloader as well as unlocking it with the ASUS unlocker. Well, things didn't go right and I deployed days later and wasn't able to get back to it for a year. Now I pretty much forget any details of what I did or how I did it, but over the years I'll pick it up, try a few options for getting it past the post screen [top left says, "The device is unlocked", in the middle of the screen it says "ASUS, Inspiring Innovation*Persistent Perfection" and the bottom right says, "Powered by NVIDIA TEGRA".] That's as far as it gets. No amount of combination of volume up/down/power/reset-button-in-tiny-hole has gotten me past that. No spinning wheels on the screen that would indicate it is 'thinking'.

Is it bricked absolutely or do I still have a course of action or two that I could pursue?

I will continue to research here as well as other forums, but wanted to query for input/advice at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
    There are numerous ways to recover a "bricked" tablet as long as there us some sort of bootloader in place. That is the screen with 3 icons showing. Unless you can get to that (which I don't think is possible in your case) then nothing short of a new motherboard will revive your tablet. Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    gpatmac likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't. That's my suspicion. Maybe I should change the direction of my research for how to replace motherboard.

Thank you for your response.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatmac View Post
    I can't. That's my suspicion. Maybe I should change the direction of my research for how to replace motherboard.

Thank you for your response.
    Well, if you really are interested in reviving this tablet as a project, you could buy another tf300 with a broken screen/ digitizer on eBay and swap out the motherboard. As long as the tablet was working properly before the screen broke you can transfer things just fine. There may be a thread on here with pictures if you do some searching.

Droidbound has written a fantastic no fail guide for custom ROMs on the tf700 and the difference when you load one up is night and day.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll definitely look into that. I apparently did things all wrong and in such a way that even if I remembered what I did, too much time has passed to recall anything with any accuracy.

Thanks again.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Did I miss something here? The thread seems to have started in the middle. How, exactly, have you tried to enter the bootloader screen? In order to boot to the Asus screen splash it has to have a bootloader doing SOMEthing.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    No combination of power/volume/reset buttons have worked. Power by itself gets me to that screen (in windows I believe that call that the post screen). Power + down volume gets me to post screen only. Power and up button gets me to post screen only. Power + down followed by up once I get to post screen only. Reset button in a little hole gets me to post screen only. Reset button + down volume gets me to post screen only. Reset + up volume....

If I do any of those and leave it sitting for a while, I come back and it's still on post screen.

I have the user.zip file that I downloaded from ASUS' website in a micro SD card in it as well.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Does it try to reboot when you power it down? If so, try holding the volume-down key while it is rebooting. You might also try a little judicious canned air around the volume buttons, there may be a bit of dust preventing it from seeing the button press. Also try just a momentary press on the reset, then hold down the volume-down. Make sure the machine is completely powered down with a long-press on the power button, and the charger is not plugged in. For now I'd remove the microSD card, no use complicating things at this point.

Have you tried for adb access? It's a long shot, but if USB debugging is set on the tablet and if it's booting enough to enable it, you might be able to issue a reboot-bootloader command in adb and get into fastboot that way.

One more thought: try holding down the volume-down button while plugging in the charger.

If none of the above works at all, I recommend donating it to the local little league for use as second base.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    When I press power+down, it will shut off if I hold it til it vibrates. Long press on power button alone just restarts it. Plugging it in while holding down didn't work.

Apparently, Universal ADB isn't compatible with Windows 10 (on Surface 3). I'll try it on my laptop when I get home next week. The error I get is UniversalADBInstaller has stopped working.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Wait, I didn't have the JRE installed. It's a new computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links