Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Swipe

Thread: Where Are The Gallery Pictures Stored At?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Where Are The Gallery Pictures Stored At?

Hello All,

I'm very new here. I bought the Asus Infinity TF700, and the Keyboard, and lots of accessories, when it first hit the market.

Over time, I found it getting slower and slower, and extremely unresponsive. I more or less just set it aside when I got my smartphone, as I was using that a lot.

But I very soon got tired of typing out documents, (and doing other things), on a tiny 4 inch screen.

I had this 'very expensive' tablet and keyboard sitting here collecting dust. I know it's out of warranty, but I have 'so much' money invested in it, I figure it would 'probably' be worth dumping even more money into it, so I can at least use it again.

I went searching the Internet, read some forum posts, and found that I wasn't the only one having this problem.

I read some totally 'awful' things about this tablet! Like it was even more useful as a doorstop than a tablet, no matter what others had tried as a fix. And I must confess that some things I read, were 'way, way' over my head!

Well, needless to say that I was very upset about the money I had to save out of my 'disability income' a long time ago, to buy this and now just have it sitting around 'un-used', collecting dust.

I decided to call Asus, to ask if they had come up with a 'fix' for these. The support person I talked to didn't seem to know about 'any' problems or issues with these, or all the negative comments about it.

Well, the first thing I was told was that I had to do a factory reset. Something I 'hate' doing, as I know I'd have to re-install everything I had in there.

I did a factory reset on a different, smaller tablet I had some time ago, and it was 'a lot' of time consuming work, that never really got finished yet.

And, I had already read forum posts from people that did a factory reset, without any 'fix' to the issues these have.

Well, I have to follow what Asus tells me for now. I'm not going to get to a higher level support, until I do the reset.

So I'm in the process of backing everything up first rigjt now. Including taking screen shots of all my pages so I know what I had installed in there.

Among what I need to back up, are all my Gallery photos. In looking through my file manager, I can not find a file folder where those Gallery photos are stored.

I do see a file folder called 'Pictures', but there are no picture files in there. And I know I have 'hundreds' of pictures in my Gallery!

So exactly 'where' does Asus store those Gallery pictures in this tablet?

I can't go forward with the factory reset until I get my pictures backed up too.

And 'I hope' that someone has, 'some' good news for me, about actually being able to use this tablet once again!

It had so many good reviews about it when it was first introduced.

And then some time later I heard that these came out with a Windows operating system. Something I 'probably' would had choosen if that option was available at that time. I really miss some of my old Windows programs.

Anyway,

Thanks to all...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    500 times
    Look for a folder called DCIM.
    You could back the pictures up to the cloud..but if you have hundreds that may take a while. I would suggest NOT restoring everything. Uncheck the restore option when you do the reset. Really, if you went so long with out using it there are apps on there that you are not using. I would install them as you find you want to use them. But ghat us just my opinion.
    Also look at unlocking it and installing a custom ROM like CROMI. Lots of good reading in the development section of this forum.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

There aren't actually any photos in Gallery, only cached shortcuts to images elsewhere on the tablet. If you cleared the data and cache in Gallery it would find them again. If you can backup the dcim and other folders you know had important items you would eventually have everything that appeared in Gallery.

In short, don't worry about what's in Gallery.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Maybe I'm even slower. When you first open the Gallery app, it will give you a window with several locations where Gallery has found pictures. Right now mine shows Camera (IIRC that is a subfolder of DCIM that @FF referred to above), PhotoLab (an app I am trying out that has its own storage location), Download because I often use a wireless camera card, Screenshots, Profile Photos (nothing in that one!), and Vids and Pics which are folders I created on my external SD. To find any one pic, open it, and tap the top-right corner, then tap the three dots aligned vertically to open what would be the File menu in Windows. At the bottom of the menu tap Details, and at the bottom of that it will give you the full path to that file. I'm looking at one that says /storage/emulated/0/Download/IMGP2883.JPG; that is the same as /sdcard/Download/IMGP2883.jpg and that is where I'd look to back up this file. I would use ES file explorer but any would do, just copy to a microSD.

Incidentally, kudos for thinking of backing up first!

A factory reset every so often is pretty much a basic maintenance item, on any tablet. You may find an app called Titanium Backup helpful if your tablet is rooted, or the built-in Asus backup app. Some have had good luck with it on the 700; others find a custom ROM necessary to keep it useable, but that gets somewhat complicated. Not undo-able, understand, just kind of geeky. The good news is that our very own @Droidbound has written a very good guide to it. But if you are happy with it after a factory reset, well, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

FWIW my 700 is both fairly fast and rock-stable on CROMi-X, a custom ROM that is based on the stock Asus ROM.

Edit: Yes, Camera is a subfolder of /sdcard/DCIM. Just double-checked.
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 03-11-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm lost... I didn't clear anything that I know of. I do know that the dcim folder stores images taken by the camera. There's nothing in that folder. I don't want to back up 'everything'... If there was some garbage in the tablet that caused these problems, that's what I need to get rid of. And hopefully will, when I do the format.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Exactly what pictures are you concerned about? If they aren't in the DCIM folder they got on your tablet by some other means, so how if you didn't take them? Are you sure they aren't also somewhere in the cloud because of an app you have installed, like Picassa?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1224 times
    Pressing on the Gallery app -- pictures taken with the camera show up under camera. Other apps or screenshots are displayed separately:

17 March, 2015 61519 AM PDT.png

The stock file manager app -- /sdcard/DCIM/Camera -- folder where pictures taken with stock camera app should appear. Other apps [cutpaste for instance] have their own sub-folder under DCIM:
    IMG_20150317_061400.JPG
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-17-2015 at 07:25 AM.
    Kevinthefixer likes this.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Only other possibility I can think of is that you have a different camera app installed, or have used a photo editing app routinely, they often store edits in their own folder. Again just open the context menu while viewing that pic in Gallery, it will tell you where it is.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links