Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

wifi freezes Tablet

Hi. I have a situation that seems different from most other freezing issues I have seen online. I have a tablet that will freeze within seconds if I turn on wifi which makes it practically useless, right? I have done a factory reset, and with the suggestion of ASUS manually upgraded the firmware to the latest, so now it is 10.6.1.14.10. There are no additional Apps apart from what is part of the system. It is a clean slate in that aspect. The wifi is 7.2.1.44. I even tried the "Force GPU rendering" option without any difference in the outcome. If I leave the wifi on the tablet will loop and freeze within seconds of arriving on the main screen unless I hurry to the "internet connection" part of support and turn it off.
    I am not sure where to go from here and any suggestions will definitely be helpful.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

It sounds like you have done one factory reset, try one more in case the first one didn't take 100%. Does it do that when you are not around any WiFi?

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Have you tried both with battery and AC power? Does the screen dim, speakers click, or anything happen that might indicate a low power situation? Next to the screen, the Wi-Fi radio is the hungriest thing on the tablet, with the possible exception of the GPS. Does it help at all if you turn off the GPS and Bluetooth radios?

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TransformHenri View Post
    Hi. I have a situation that seems different from most other freezing issues I have seen online. I have a tablet that will freeze within seconds if I turn on wifi which makes it practically useless, right? I have done a factory reset, and with the suggestion of ASUS manually upgraded the firmware to the latest, so now it is 10.6.1.14.10. There are no additional Apps apart from what is part of the system. It is a clean slate in that aspect. The wifi is 7.2.1.44. I even tried the "Force GPU rendering" option without any difference in the outcome. If I leave the wifi on the tablet will loop and freeze within seconds of arriving on the main screen unless I hurry to the "internet connection" part of support and turn it off.
    I am not sure where to go from here and any suggestions will definitely be helpful.
    Over the air (OTA) update sometime gives users some issues. If all of the suggestions above don't solve problem, you may want sideload or install the full firmware from Asus website, good luck..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay I tried a couple additional factory resets, but those did nothing. It is not a power issue and both GPS and Bluetooth have been turned off already, just in case, but that did not give any different results either.
    The update was a direct one from Asus because I have no wifi as it is the wifi that freezes the tablet.
    It just seems odd that everything else works fine as long as wifi is not on. However this does make the tablet fairly useless except as a Camera.
    The Tablet is not under warranty, so how much would it cost to have ASUS repair the thing?
    Or does anyone know of any software tweaks that would remedy the situation?
    Last edited by TransformHenri; 10-07-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    This really is an odd problem...
    Without a system log of some kind this us going to be hard to diagnose.
    But you need root for that.
    Are you willing to do that? You can use Towelroot v1 to get one-click root access on your tablet.
    If you're interested PM me and I send you a download link for it. Can't post it here - against forum rules.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks droidbound but I get the impression that if I root the Tablet I will not be able to get it serviced at ASUS. And if that might be the only way to get it working then it would not be the best route to take. I did get a response from ASUS and they said to get an RMA to send it in. Now I am not sure how much such a route will cost me. In other words- is it worth it to take such a step?
    Any additional input to help me decide?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Asus will service it - root or not - if you pay for it. And the price would be the same...
    Even under warranty root does not matter to them.
    I have no idea where you are, but be prepared to pay $200+ if they replace the motherboard.
    To send it in to Asus is not worth it IMO. The TF700 is 2 years old - you can get refurbs, used ones or even better tablets brand new at the same price or for just a little more.....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Asus will service it - root or not - if you pay for it. And the price would be the same...
    Even under warranty root does not matter to them.
    I have no idea where you are, but be prepared to pay $200+ if they replace the motherboard.
    To send it in to Asus is not worth it IMO. The TF700 is 2 years old - you can get refurbs, used ones or even better tablets brand new at the same price or for just a little more.....
    I thank you for your advice. I also agree about the unneeded expense. I will see about how to get it rooted in the next few days to see how to find the system log. It seems like it can't be a very dramatic cause, but it is frustrating.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    This really is an odd problem...
    Without a system log of some kind this us going to be hard to diagnose.
    But you need root for that.
    Are you willing to do that? You can use Towelroot v1 to get one-click root access on your tablet.
    If you're interested PM me and I send you a download link for it. Can't post it here - against forum rules.
    Okay I was away for a while now, but I am back. I tried the Towelroot v3 from the direct website and I got it onto the Tablet, but then as it is loading it says "Make sure you are connected to the internet!" Since my entire issue is that I can not get onto the internet this is not very useful to me.
    Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links