Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Stuck Boot: Cold Boot (Android), and Wipe Data ineffective

Exactly as the thread title says. I was using my tablet yesterday morning, as normal, (checking mail, schedule, etc.). I restart the tablet every so often if it has been on for a few days, or if I've updated a large number of oft-used apps. I rarely turn it off. Now, it is completely stock (no custom ROM, not unlocked, not rooted). It was purchased in October of 2013, it is the TF700T model, with Keyboard Dock. I restarted it, dock UNattached, and it jammed at the first splash screen. This happens to me once in a while, I did a factory reset about a month ago, and the it hadn't happened in a while. So I force-restart it (hold the power button down). No dice, so I load the bootloader to cold boot. Gets there fine, I move the selector to the Android, let is sit for 10 seconds, and then hit Volume Up. Nothing. Just locks up right there, never goes into the usual second splash screen (Asus logo with spinning wheel). I've done this cycle in a variety of ways (with/without dock attached, sometimes a normal restart, sometimes an attempted cold boot). Eventually, I threw in the towel and decided to see what RCK did. For a few moments, it was looked like a system update screen, then I got an Android, on its back, chest open, with a red triangle. Just seeing that screams bad things to me. For the record, I am very tech savvy, and have never really had a problem with a machine I didn't eventually fix. I have since attempted to use Wipe Data, with the same results as RCK: a few moments of an Android system update image, followed by the Android on its back with a red triangle over its chest. I am about to attempt to manually install the firmware (RCK with the firmware .zip on a micro SD), but if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I tried looking up the warranty information on the Asus support page, but I get a 404 error. (here: http://support.asus.com/support/imag...PRINT_only.pdf)

Is my Transformer bricked? I haven't done anything to it, I am very careful with what I install on it, which isn't much.

UPDATE: I attempted the manual firmware update, using the guide here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...bly-tf201.html . Still getting the dead android with red triangle. Is my only recourse going to be to send it to Asus? I found the warranty information, but it seems to indicate only a 3 month warranty for my product. Which is irritating, to say the least, if I read it correctly.
    Last edited by kaloonzu; 04-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    OK so..the normal 2 questions when dealing with failed manual firmware installs... did you unzip the file ONLY once...did you rename the resulting zip file as indicated?

Otherwise...in North America I believe you have a one year warranty on a new tf700. I would call ASUS support...not email as many have encountered issues with email support.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    ......and is the microSD formatted fat32?
    You did download the firmware for the correct region (SKU: WW, US, TW...)?
    Make sure Windows Explorer is showing file extensions and is not adding them automatically. You don't want to rename the once unzipped zip to: EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip.zip.

Those are indeed the most common reasons a manual firmware update fails.
    It's rare for this to happen on a stock system and I don't have an explanation, but it seems your system and/or data partition got corrupted badly....
    RCK is the recovery and what you see is normal when the recovery does not find a valid update file. That's when you get the Android on his back.
    When you choose 'Wipe Data' Android writes a command to the misc partition for the recovery to erase the data partition on the next boot and reboots the tablet. So that the tablet boots straight into recovery after using that command is normal too. That it fails to execute the command is not.....

Trying to flash the stock firmware is indeed your best shot at getting the tablet back.
    Double check every step of the process and try again.
    Good luck.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I unzipped US_epaduser10_6_1_14_10_UpdateLauncher.zip (the original download), and got US_epaduser10_6_1_14_10_UpdateLauncher as a folder, with US_epad-user-10.6.1.14.10.zip inside, which I renamed to EP201_768_SPUPDATE.zip, which I double checked to make sure that I didn't make a ____.zip.zip mistake. I then put the renamed folder into the root directory of a microSD card formatted for FAT32 (Is there any particular sector size it has to be formatted in?). It's worth mentioning that every so often it gets past the first splash screen on its own, and then sits on the silver Asus logo screen for as long as I let it, until I get frustrated and attempt another restart.

If it sounds like I haven't made any mistakes on the manual firmware install, would you say the only recourse would be to call Asus?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Sounds as if you are doing everything right.
    Unless your unit is a refurb you should have 1 year warranty on it - check that with Asus. If you send it in they will most likely replace the motherboard, and that is costly....
    But that's probably your only option - sorry.
    Try this tonight: reboot it until it gets to the Asus logo screen, connect it to power and leave it like that overnight. It's a long shot but I've seen a couple of cases where the tablet seemed to need a lot of time to sort out.... Something.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Sounds as if you are doing everything right.
    Unless your unit is a refurb you should have 1 year warranty on it - check that with Asus. If you send it in they will most likely replace the motherboard, and that is costly....
    But that's probably your only option - sorry.
    Try this tonight: reboot it until it gets to the Asus logo screen, connect it to power and leave it like that overnight. It's a long shot but I've seen a couple of cases where the tablet seemed to need a lot of time to sort out.... Something.

Actually tried that last night. I've also tried reformatting the microSD, and having the .zip be the only thing on there. Still not getting past the second logo screen, but it IS doing that much more regularly. Looks like I'm sending it in.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Also try booting with no microSD inserted. The 700 is fickle with cards...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Also try booting with no microSD inserted. The 700 is fickle with cards...

Done, still nothing. Dead android after a few seconds of the system update screen on RCK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links