Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Is it possible to clean install the Android OS

Hello Forum,

I need to know the answer to what I think should be a fundamental question that is, can the Android OS be clean installed by the end user?

Now what I consider a clean install is completely removing all traces of any previous data on the internal sd card and then reinstalling or flashing the Android OS back to the sd card. I have read through countless Forum topics on this Forum as well as many others and no where have I seen anything that indicates to me that this is even remotely possible. I have seen all the reset, cold boot, factory reset, clear caches, etc. blah, blah, blah, but no where have I seen how to completely remove the OS and replace it new. Having said that it does appear that the factory is able to do such a thing. I also note that with the TF700T I have with version 10.6.1.14.10 software that when one does perform a cold boot 3 icons appear on screen. They are RCK, the Droid Bot, and Wipe Data. I have never seen anyone mention anything about using the Wipe Data option. Is there some sort of taboo in doing so? What does the Wipe Data do anyway? Having Windows PC experience of more than 30 years my logic tells me that Wipe Data would completely clean/clear the internal sd card, is that true? If so, what would one do after that?

[B]Now before you answer there are issues I have that must be considered in performing a clean install if in fact it is possible so please read on.[B]

As mentioned I have an Asus TF700T Tab with the correct TF700 keyboard dock. I also have a TF201 with correct keyboard dock and a TF101 with correct keyboard dock. My issue is with the TF700T. I purchased the TF700 new, sealed in box, about 1 year ago. When I got it it had 4.1.1 OS installed (whatever that is). Shortly thereafter there cam an OTA update which I performed which installed 4.2.1 and is still on the machine (whatever it is). The reason for the whatever's is because I find the Android naming conventions completely confusing so I find it impossible to determine what is what.

Now after the 4.2.1 update some time passed and I had the occasion to want to use the micro sd card slot of the dock to access some music files. The micro sd card I attempted this with was one that I had previously used in my TF201 device and worked perfectly fine. Well the TF700 refused to recognize this card so I tried several others, no luck! So I decided I would copy the music files onto a USB stick and use that device instead, well, same thing, the TF700 would not recognize this device either, again tried several others different capacities, different formats (FAT32, NTFS), different brands and no dice. The TF700 would not even attempt to or even act like anything external had been attached at all. So I searched the net, reading posts in Forums, articles about this issue that I could find, searched the Asus support site and found a few references that were like mine, some identical, but no real solutions.

Now being a long time PC enthusiast I decided I would try to see if I could figure out what the problem was myself. I tried all the suggested fixes I could find, cold boot, reset, factory reset (3 times) after backing up data, attaching tab to other docks, attaching other USB devices such as mice/keyboards, attaching OTG USB sd card readers, all failed and failed completely.

So I have reached the conclusion that this is not a USB problem, not a connection problem, not hardware related at all! I believe at this point it is software where the problem is. Either the update to 4.2.1 was flaky or that update corrupted or had corrupted USB code and or drivers. I have been unable to find a way to find out if that is the case or not, unlike a PC there seems to be no way of tracing such things down in Android.

So this has led me to the point where I wish to start from scratch with a clean install of the OS. So the questions I have are:

1. Can a clean install be done?
    2. If so, how do you do this?
    3. What is the Wipe Data option that appears during the cold boot process?
    4. Is it possible to install clean without root?
    5. If I do this will this in fact be the same as a root.
    6. Can I move to another OS version? (ie. go backward, forward)
    7. Since I cannot access external devices how and what would be the best way to get the fresh OS .zip file onto the machine. If this can be done at all?
    8. Are there any other alternatives other than what has been discussed so far that I might attempt?
    9. How does the factory install the OS in the first place? Obviously there is nothing there to begin with so can I duplicate what they do?

Thanks to anyone whom can help here. I am confident that if a solution can be had this is the place for it and I would think a solution here would benefit others as well.

enchantech

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    Welcome to the forum enchantech.

Step ONE:

Here are the answers to Questions 1,2,4,6,7:

You can install the OS by simply downloading it and re-installing it : see the links in the Master Help Guide. (regarding what to do with the downloaded zip file - if you have no microsd you can copy or place it in the top directory of your internal storage (/) (no folder)

Here's a link to the download page - be sure you read the description comments:

Tablets & Mobile - ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

added: here is a forum guide that should help you as well:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...y-tf201-3.html

Question 5. --- No rooting is not the same. It allows some admin functions. You can easily search and find rooting information on our forum, using the search tips linked in my Signature below.
    Question 6. -- It may be possible to load a different version of the OS, can't recall if anyone has gone backward to Android 4.03 (Ice Cream Sandwich) from 4.2.1 (which you should have on your TF700) 4.2.1 is the latest and is Jelly Bean.
    Question 8 -- ? Try the suggestions above.
    Question 9 -- No idea. They probably just download it and install like we do.

Step TWO - Enjoy Your Transformer.
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-11-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added forum link to guide
    leeshor and frenziedfemale like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Swipe,

I take it then that doing this will completely eliminate all traces of the former install? Do you now anything about how this process is carried out by the update such as, is the internal flash erased before update? Is this update process simply overwriting the data that is already on the disk?

I will review the links you provided, think I have already visited before but will review and take some notes.

Will post back results.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I think you should do all of this with the dock connected in order to make sure that everything gets returned to default. I have done the above process many times and it works quite well. Just know that in order for data to be wiped, you need to load an older version of the firmware ( 4.1.1) let it install, then upgrade either by ota or using the same methods back to 4.2 (which is an improvement all around over 4.1) it is only downgrading which causes a wipe to occurs not an upgrade.

You also failed to mention anything regarding the full size SD card slot in the dock. Does it work? If not and all three storage systems do not work, then it must be a software problem as you say. If the mocrosd card worked by SD and USB did not then I would say it was definitely a hardware failure in the dock.

You can also try using the tf700 with the prime dock. They are compatible with each other so I would try to conform whether it is a software problem as you say it is.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    One other tip

Think outside the box! i.e. Quit thinking in the Windowz Wurld. This is Adroid/Linux.....it's quite a bit different.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Regarding updates: If you are referring to Asus updates, it's a complete overwrite.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by enchantech View Post
    9. How does the factory install the OS in the first place? Obviously there is nothing there to begin with so can I duplicate what they do?

enchantech
    Have you heard of Nvflash and APX mode? It is a low level programming for Tegra.. However, after the program was completed, the programmer deactivated the read/write modes so no one can access or extract the bootloader. It is possible but why you want to take that route, hehe.. Good luck..

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Thank you Swipe,

I take it then that doing this will completely eliminate all traces of the former install? Do you now anything about how this process is carried out by the update such as, is the internal flash erased before update? Is this update process simply overwriting the data that is already on the disk?

I will review the links you provided, think I have already visited before but will review and take some notes.

Will post back results.
    Q 3: The Wipe Data option from the bootloader menu (that's where you are when you see the 3 icons) will wipe your /data partition. It will erase all user installed apps and user data stored on internal memory. It does not affect the apps that came with the tablet. They are installed to /system (that's why you can't uninstall them unless you root the tablet and thus gain access to the /system files).
    Installing of system firmware is done by the recovery (that's the RCK icon in the BL menu). I have not seen any logs on how the stock recovery operates, but each and any custom recovery formats the system and boot partitions, cache and Dalvik cache before it installs the new software. I assume the stock recovery works the same way.
    Q 8: Unlock that baby, install a custom recovery and custom rom - that will give you (almost) total control of all aspects and parts of the system. Including to mess it up royally if you don't know what you're doing.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to all who replyed. I have not had the opportunity yet to reinstall the OS but will do so soon. Seems there is a bit of conflict of opinion about going back to a previous build 4.1 then upgrade to 4.2, necessary or not?

I do plan to have dock and tab connected together when I reinstall.

My device seems to not have USB connection at all. External USB connections both Type A connector and sd card on dock do not work using either a TF700 dock nor the TF201 dock. When I first got the device these worked but after OTA update to 4.2 they stopped working. This is why I suspect a flaky update.

Thank you droidbound for explaining the bootloader icons, also the install structure pretty much what I figured.

If a clean reinstall does not fix my problem then I will suspect that it is hardware related but given the circunstances under which the problems began I think not at this point.

By the way, I always think outside the box!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    By the way, I always think outside the box!
    Well I only mentioned it because a LOT of time I find myself looking out through the cracks in the box.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links