Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: From a grandma: Error in update for new tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times

Unhappy From a grandma: Error in update for new tablet.

Hi there,
    after 24 hours of desperate search for answers about my new tablet, I'm here and I put myself in your hands.

I've just received an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. When I first loaded it I think it was under Ice Cream OS because the android version was 4.0.x.x (i don't remember exactly). I did a system update from the tablet but i didn't notice any changes. I can see the difference with the Jelly Bean OS because we have two Asus MeMO FHD Pad and I would like to have the same OS on my tablet.
    Late in the morning I noticed there was a downloaded update just finished in the notification box and I checked in the Settings if there were any further updates. For the setting system update my system was up to date and the Android version was already changed from 4.0.x.x to 4.1.1 that for my knowledge is already a Jelly Bean, but for sure I did not see any change.
    Here the screenshot I took.

Screenshot_2013-12-26-15-30-37~2.jpg

So I clicked on apply the update in the notification box and the tablet was shut down, the little green android robot appeared and it was working on an update. After some time, the little green avatar died!! He fell down and is lying with a triangle with an exclamation point.
    After that no changes were made in my system, still the same specs in settings, still the same appearance in the tablet.
    I really don't know what to do now.
    I'm really newbie on Android systems because I've been using an iPad for a few years.
    I did a lot of searches but haven't been able to find any useful information.
    So I'm asking for your help.
    First of all sorry for my english, it's no good but it is not my native language.
    I need some basic explanations and some tips.
    here are the questions:
    1) What's the meaning of OTA? (may be on the air update, but not really sure)
    2) Where can I find the firmware and how can I update it?
    3) On the Asus support site I see many firmware updates but no one that combine with my JRO03C.US_epad-10.4.4.25-20121228. I think the SKU is US, the actual firmware is 10.4.4.2 released on 20121228, but that JRO03C is not present on the firmware update on Asus support site and there is clearly stated that I have to download the right firmware.
    4) the downloaded update I found in the notification box and that failed the install, where is it now? I cannot find it and so I cannot try to reinstall it. But I think it was the right upgrade/update because it was the same Asus/Android operating system to choose it.
    5) finally, how can I update my new tablet to the latest Jelly bean OS (4.2.1)? I've found many tuts for this update, but none with this JRO03C.US_epad-10.4.4.25-20121228 firmware installed. Every tuts speaks about a "A condition is necessary to be applied when youíre trying to install this latest update, your device need to be on officially stock Android 4.1 JB firmware with the 10.4.4.25 build version. , If this condition isnít respected this latest update wonít work." I have a 4.1 android version but with a mysterious acronym JR.

Please can someone help me with a step by step for old people instruction?

Thanks so much

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    The info you want can be found here [GUIDE] How to flash Official Firmware downloaded from ASUS site

Don't worry about the JR that is normal just ensure that you download the US version of 4.2 as that is what you already run. Unzip once, no need to use an SD card, most people have better success just putting the file on the internal memory. Then just reboot the tablet.
    Lio likes this.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Welcome to the forum Lio, just follow FrenziedFemale's link, and you should be up to your neck in jelly beans! BTW - OTA does mean "over the air," usually referring to a download.
    Lio likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Actually - sorry to disagree, but the instructions in that post ff linked to are only partially correct.

There are two ways to update your firmware manually and for both you have to download the correct firmware file for your SKU (US if you live in the US or Canada, WW for Europe, JP for Japan etc.) from the Asus support page. Let's call the downloaded file zip1. Unzip that file once, resulting in another zip file which we'll call zip2.
    The latest firmware version for this tablet is 10.6.1.14.10 which is the Asus version of JB 4.2.1 for the TF700.

Method 1: You copy zip2 to the root of your internal SD. If you're on the 10.4.4.25 firmware that would be /sdcard/
    The update file should get recognized automatically and you should get a notification to update. If that does not happen you can try and clear cache and data on DMClient and CMClient in Settings > Apps > All and reboot.
    If that still doesn't work it's time for:

Method 2: Rename zip2 to: EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip (make sure file extensions are shown in Windows Explorer, you don't want to end up with a file named EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip.zip). Copy that file to the root of a microSD card (meaning not into any folder) and insert it.
    Boot into recovery by shutting your tablet down and then:
    Pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power keys until you feel the tablet vibrate twice and see tiny script appear top left. You should see three icons: RCK (which is flashing), Android and Wipe Data.
    Just push Volume Up to enter RCK (your recovery). The recovery should recognize the update file on your microSD and start flashing it. Let it finish and it should reboot to system.
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-27-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    Lio likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Thank you all for the replies and for the welcome.
    I'm starting now reading the link indicated by frenziedfemale and then I will update.
    Because at night time I've read a lot, now I have 1000 questions to ask for, such as what is the root or the rootkeeper......
    I'm trying to figure out if on an Android tablet I can do more than I did with my iPad in 4 year
    MikeM likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    You do not need to worry about root or root keeper to update your tablet.
    Rooting is a method of allowing the user access to files and functions that we don't have out of the box. ( things that the manufacturer doesn't want us to mess with). Rootkeeper is just a tool to allow you to keep access to those files after an update.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    OK, I'm here and alive and I did my job!!!
    My tablet is now on Android 4.2.1 but.... in appearance it's still the same. I did this update because I really wished to have the same interface of my children's tablets.
    I gave my children the Asus Memo Pad 10.1 FHD and I liked very much the interface they have. I saw this morning that their tablets have installed the Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    Could it be that the difference between our two models, it is given by the latest update?
    For example, in their tablets they have a taskbar in the top of the screen, and the notification box is in the middle top of the screen. Very useful. They also have a floating apps bar at the bottom of the screen.
    Nothing of this on my tablet..... and I cannot find any apps to have them on my tablet.
    Another thing I cannot fix. How do I delete all the preinstalled apps that I do not need, such as Amazon Kindle, Vibe Fun Center, Parental Lock, many Asus apps that are duplicates of other applications such as Facebook Asus, Asus Keyboard, Asus battery, Asus email, Asus etc MyZIne.
    At the end I can not figure out what app I'm using and what are duplicates also because I see (for example, for email) that there are two apps that are working, but I'm just checking a Gmail account. The same applies to the weather forecast or the clock and others.
    I don't know if Android service are the same as in Windows, but to have them double or triple I assume they consume a lot of memory.
    I would like to figure it out ....with iPad I have not even tried, I did not know about the Apple operating system. But here I would like to be able to work more in depth as I always have done with my PC.

Thank you very much!

PS I know... my english is painfiul ... sorry about that

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Lio, I don't know what your native language is, but I didn't find anything wrong with your English! Anyway, I think it's admirable that you want to take control of your tablet. I believe the best way to get a handle on the Android OS is to peruse some of our guides, The Master Help Guide is a good place to start. The only way to really uninstall unwanted native apps, or bloatware, is by rooting your tablet, but I would become more acquainted with the Android OS before thinking about it. Coincidentally, I just went through the very long list of "apps that are safe to disable on my Galaxy S4 phone." I did it by Googling just that, and came up with a couple of lists that S4 owners have safely disabled. You might do the same for your 700. Just go the app in Settings>Application manager>All, force stop it, clear the cache and data, uninstall updates, if needed, and disable or turn it off. That way if you mess up, you can always go back and enable or turn it on.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    If I've ever seen a candidate for root-ing and rom-ing, it's gotta be you
    That's exactly why people started to root and unlock their Android devices: To get rid of the garbage device manufacturers put on the tablet and they did not like or use, and because they got tired of waiting for the OEM to release updates that would add the features they craved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lio View Post
    OK, I'm here and alive and I did my job!!!
    My tablet is now on Android 4.2.1 but.... in appearance it's still the same. I did this update because I really wished to have the same interface of my children's tablets.
    I gave my children the Asus Memo Pad 10.1 FHD and I liked very much the interface they have. I saw this morning that their tablets have installed the Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    Could it be that the difference between our two models, it is given by the latest update?
    For example, in their tablets they have a taskbar in the top of the screen, and the notification box is in the middle top of the screen. Very useful. They also have a floating apps bar at the bottom of the screen.
    Nothing of this on my tablet..... and I cannot find any apps to have them on my tablet.
    The notification panel in the top middle is an Asus feature for their version of the JB 4.2.2 firmware and I'm not aware of anybody having ported that to our device - so I am afraid at the moment that's not achievable. The same is true for the floating dock, but I think there should be custom launchers (like Apex, ADW or Nova) which will give you that functionality or maybe you want to check out the floating apps in the Play Store. If you root the tablet you could also play around with the Xposed Framework which allows you to change and customize many, many, many aspects of the UI.

Another thing I cannot fix. How do I delete all the preinstalled apps that I do not need, such as Amazon Kindle, Vibe Fun Center, Parental Lock, many Asus apps that are duplicates of other applications such as Facebook Asus, Asus Keyboard, Asus battery, Asus email, Asus etc MyZIne.
    That's the so called bloatware and it is installed to the /system partition which is inaccessible to the user unless you root your tablet. In the Linux world you are the "Superuser" or you "have root" if you run the device with permission to access the root level of the file system and change system files.
    Even without root you can go to Settings > Apps, swipe to "All" and disable the apps you do not want to run. Unfortunately some of them will be back after the next reboot.
    If you root your tablet, you can use an app like Titanium Backup which will allow you to "freeze" or even uninstall any app - even those installed on the system partition. Frozen they are basically dead weight, just taking up space - but it's space on the /system partition which is not accessible for storing user data. And anyway - with a 32 or even 64 gb microSD in the tablet and the same in the dock you would have to be a real movie junkie to ever run out of storage on this device.

At the end I can not figure out what app I'm using and what are duplicates also because I see (for example, for email) that there are two apps that are working, but I'm just checking a Gmail account. The same applies to the weather forecast or the clock and others.
    A lot of these apps you could safely uninstall with Titanium Backup, but you do have to exercise some caution with system files: Asus keyboard for example is tied into the OS and uninstalling it might lead to unintended results. It's good practice to backup any app or service you want to remove (also done in TiBu), then freeze it first and run your tablet for a few days before actually uninstalling it.

I don't know if Android service are the same as in Windows, but to have them double or triple I assume they consume a lot of memory.
    Android handles memory allocation much better than Windows. It will close unused processes if needed, but some of the bloatware constantly "phones home", connects to servers to update and sync or runs in the background and that does consume system resources.
    The problem with the TF700 is that Asus used cheap memory and the I/O performance is lousy. That is what makes this tablet so sluggish for many and the only solution is to run a custom ROM. Really sad for an otherwise great tablet.

I would like to figure it out ....with iPad I have not even tried, I did not know about the Apple operating system. But here I would like to be able to work more in depth as I always have done with my PC.
    Well, there's no end to it if you decide to unlock the bootloader and run a custom ROM on this device.
    Developers on the XDA forums have created great software for this device! Most prominent are CROMi-X (which is based on the Asus firmware with all the bloat removed and many, many other improvements) and CyanogenMod (CM) which is built from the ground up. Version 10.2 is pretty stable, gives you the functions of JB 4.3 on this tablet. They recently started on CM 11 which will bring KitKat to the TF700 (a JB version this tablet may never see on stock), but it's still experimental.
    Head over to the XDA forum for the TF700 and start reading in the Development section. That should keep you busy for a few weeks! LOL

I wrote a little guide recently for "beginners" to roming and rooting (although on the wrong forum - but that's another story), maybe it helps you untangle some of the lingo.
    Tutorial: Flashing a custom ROM on TF700T - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

PS I know... my english is painfiul ... sorry about that
    Your English is perfect. I would have sworn you're a native speaker
    Lio likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks so much for your kind words Sculptedstylus.
    I'm used to understand what I hold in my hands and it's 20 years that I assemble my computers, I format and I rearrange them and this for all the computer in my home and office. From my children's laptop to all the home desktop..... So it's normal for me to try to interact with the tablet even realizing what I can or can not do.
    I'm reading all the guides here on the site, but I think I'm very ignorant on the subject Android and I am afraid that the age does not help me much.
    I must start by considering Jelly Bean as an operating system and not as a program: this is not easy
    I'm googling for all articles about Android 4.2, Jelly Bean and its differences in the last 2 version. And for sure, I know very well that I have to think more and more time before erasing or changing something that normally the OS hides to users.
    But I have a question.... what's a ROM? everywhere I find people speaking about ROM, but the only ROM I know is the read only memory and I cannot understand..... I know the difference between ROM and RAM, and the ROM (as read only memory) is not esay to be programmed. So maybe I am wrong in thinking at that kind of ROM.
    Thanks for all, I really appreciated all your support.
    Lio

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links