Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: From a grandma: Error in update for new tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Gtanner00, thanks for the advice.
    When I have finally figured out how to backup and how to restore, I will ask you where exactly to find this firmware (I assume that Chrome X is a firmware for Asus TF700).
    Have a great evening.
    Lio

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the link sparksd .
    I'm going to see what it is.
    Lio

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    I know Swipe, but I bouht my tablet on ebay from the USA and there was no Canadian warranty on it. So no problem for this.....
    Thanks for the advice.
    Lio

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Hey Lio, Thanks for taking the time to write out so many responses. You remind me of my grandmother who is also very technology centric (she owned quite a few computer models before anyone else in the family had even used one)

I thought I would give you some advice before you start on your adventure:

1. The Cromi ROM I mentioned before is available here [ROM]★★[JB 4.2.1][CROMi-X 5.2.3][DATA2SD/ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][DEC 16]★★ - xda-developers It is a modified version of the "stock" asus ROM with many optimizations and tweaks. You wont find any direct customization there because it is based off the stock rom. That is where Xposed framework comes in (But you can figure that out when you get there,

That page is part of a greater forum community called XDA. XDA is where all mobile device development happens. This is not illegal at all, everything is developed from open source code. However some of the information you may google search on the internet and youtube may be either: out of date, or not meant for your specific device. This is why you have to be careful when starting out and why there is a risk of "Bricking" your device (its exactly what it sounds like)
    The Cromi X link is a great place to start out. You can follow all the links to other guides that will prepare you for installing the rom. The other great thing about Cromi is that it is availible for the tf700, tf300, and tf201 and almost all of the rooted users in this forum have either used it at some point or are currently using it. This means that there will always be support both here and on XDA if you want to ask questions.

The more customizable roms are ones that are not built from the ASUS firmware. Cyanogenmod 10.1 (android 4.2) , 10.2 (4.3), and 11 (4.4) are examples of these. they allow you to update the android version and gain a different than stock experience on your tablet.

2. BACKUPS
    there is not a lot you can do to back things up before unlocking. you can move all files you want to keep (movies, books, music) to a computer or micro sd card. You can also use the ASUS app backup tool (this is an app found on your device) to backup data from your apps (remember you need to move the backup file off the device afterwards so it isnt destroyed)
    These protective measures will allow you to mostly restore everything if you had to return to square one and have everything wiped. (it shouldnt happen but just in case

The more powerful tools are available once you install the custom recovery (it is called Team Win Open Recovery TWRP) TWRP is almost like a mini operating system similar to a computer BIOS and lets you install and wipe the firmware in an isolated environment. The cool thing about custom recovery is that it allows you to make a NANDROID backup of your system. Think of this as a perfect image of your tablet frozen in time which you can restore back to if there is any trouble. You need to have TWRP installed for this and the CROMI guide will help you with that.

Best regards. I have enjoyed following your story as I had similar fears when I decided to break free from the stock firmware. Now I am running Android Kitkat on my 18 month old tf300.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I hear you! I'm not that young anymore either.... So it becomes even more important to keep the remaining grey matter in shape! LOL
    I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 as dual boot on my Win7 laptop who's been gathering dust since I bought the TF700. That's another universe to explore....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    You are right Droidbound but.... it's really difficult to me here.
    I do not know anyone here so all information must be sought in the forum and these are always in a language that is not mine: really tiring!
    Finally the holidays are over and I can get back to work on the tablet that is driving me crazy. At the moment I would like at least to understand how it is possible that there is no real guide. The instructions found in the package and those downloaded online are really ridiculous and they do not say anything at all.
    For example, the first day I installed the Gmail app that I used with the iPad. Here, however, Asus has a pre-installed application for the post that I can not disable so now I have two apps for mail, a desktop with his "good looks" and the other in the taskbar. At this point I have to uninstall the Gmail .... And the same goes for the weather ...
    Guess I'll have to continue to bore you all .......
    by the way: Happy New Year to all of you
    Lio
    droidbound likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Gtanner00, thanks so much for all this useful infos.
    Sorry to be late, but I've been really busy these days. Now I study well the things you said to me and I do my homework. Then I will let you know what happens.
    Happy New Year !

PS I like the idea to be somewhat similar to your grandmother. For sure in my family it was the same and even now I always have to have the most advanced computers than my own children who are still young (25 and 30 years respectively). Honestly now I would have preferred them to be more geeks

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lio View Post
    At the moment I would like at least to understand how it is possible that there is no real guide. The instructions found in the package and those downloaded online are really ridiculous and they do not say anything at all.
    Well, that's pretty much standard nowadays.... Which company can you name that puts resources into writing a meaningful manual?
    And why should they? They know there are user forums and we dingbats provide the service for free!

For example, the first day I installed the Gmail app that I used with the iPad. Here, however, Asus has a pre-installed application for the post that I can not disable so now I have two apps for mail....
    Do you mean the Asus email app? You don't HAVE to use it! Just ignore it and if you like to, you can disable it in Settings > Apps, swipe to the left until you see " All" apps, select the Asus Email app and click "disable". Once you are rooted you can uninstall it.

....a desktop with his "good looks" and the other in the taskbar.
    Sorry - I don't quite understand....

At this point I have to uninstall the Gmail .... And the same goes for the weather ...
    Why?

Guess I'll have to continue to bore you all .......
    Feel free to do so - that's what we're here for!

by the way: Happy New Year to all of you
    Lio
    And the same to you Lio!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    13 times
    Hi Lio, I am really grateful for your questions. I've been using Android since 2008 and love stock when it behaves. I have just decided to install CROMi-X because the functionality of my TF700 has gotten decidedly worse. (the latest is the touchpad becomes active randomly and out of sync with the touchpad switch in the middle of typing. frustrating). Your understanding of computers and devices allows you to ask questions I need to know that I would not have thought to ask until in the process of updating. I have a colleague who also will want to do this, so I really appreciate this. Your questions show how we learn both from those with experience and those with keenly insightful questions. Thank you and thanks to everyone who has contributed suggestions.

I want to encourage you to go for it while your device is fairly clean as you have stated: part of what held me back is I do a lot of work from my tablet (or did until I got my Nexus 5...but that is another story) and I know that even with stock I could use a factory reboot for better performance. My device is just out of warranty this month, so I am going for it and am part way through the "homework" you were given.

Quote Originally Posted by Lio View Post
    PS I like the idea to be somewhat similar to your grandmother. For sure in my family it was the same and even now I always have to have the most advanced computers than my own children who are still young (25 and 30 years respectively). Honestly now I would have preferred them to be more geeks
    I hear you! I'm not as big a tech geek as you, and I'm not yet a grandmother only because I had my kids when I was 40, but I have yet to hire anyone on my team (I do research) who is more tech-savvy than me. What is funniest to me is I taught my hubby how to use a computer when we married and he adopted my Amiga 1000 and we bought a 2000 as well. His family would call to ask him for computer advice, presuming that he would know because he is a man, but he is still just an end-user kind of guy and has to pass the phone to me for troubleshooting. So here's to girl geeks young and old!

Just one more point.. you talked about your mail programs, one with the "desktop good looks and the other in the taskbar".

And droidbound told you to drop the ASUS email and use Gmail (or even some other third party options, but none have worked for my mail scenario).

My 2 cents on that is to note that you can bring Gmail to the desktop as a widget as well as simply have the icon there. You can use widgets to customize your stock-ish experience on the tablet, as well as organize icons into folders. You may already know this, but from your discussion and comment about lack of user guides, you may not have gotten there because you are focused squarely on performance. I encourage you to study, then take the leap and modify your firmware (ROM) and then take the time to learn about setting up your operating system all comfy and cozy.

Good luck, and keep posting your progress. I definitely want to follow you and join you .
    Superior quality middle aged Android fangirl looking to spice up relationship.Solution? Time to customize. Thanks to all sharing experience with ROMs

G1>Nexus One>G2>Nexus 4>Nexus 5<=>HTC One M8; TF101B>TF700...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi all!

I apologize to all of you.
    You were friendly and helpful and you do not deserve me to disappear without a word.
    Sorry about that....
    Unfortunately, health is not the best and I didn't find the will to fight "even" for the tablet
    And, my excuse, I was without my tablet. You can read HERE what happened, and of course the problems are even worse with this Memopad ......

Not even an ebook reader like iBook! I cannot even load books and I have tried several. No one allows you to select the micro card to keep books. Or rather, no one that lets you choice where to put them, how to keep them etc etc..
    Not to mention the fact that - even using the supplied reader MyLibrary - I cannot see the edit options. According to the instructions, I should have an icon (pencil) to tap to select, move or delete ebooks.
    Too bad that I don't have it, in the same way that I do not have the icon of the Advanced settings.
    And loading the books from Calibre, I have found 3 copies of each too!
    It is so frustrating! It makes me wonder if I simply and suddenly became stupid: '(
    I tried the free Aldiko , and a free Moon reader and another one yet. All with the same problems.
    I wonder if it's because the same tablet has problems (as I explain in my post in the section of MemoPad FHD 10).
    Any of you have any advice for me or is it better that I close this new tablet in the box and continue to use the 5 year old iPad?
    Thanks again for all your help
    lio

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links