Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: From a grandma: Error in update for new tablet.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    903 times
    Lio, I found a succinct definition of a ROM here Custom ROMs For Android Explained - Here Is Why You Want Them It begins like this:
    A stock ROM is the version of the phone's operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.
    A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc - everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way.
    So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.
    You can tap the link and read the rest. As DroidBound started his post, "If I've ever seen a candidate for root-ing and rom-ing, it's gotta be you" All I'm suggesting is that you learn the ins & outs of the Android OS before taking the big step. Hate to admit it, but I'm the voice of experience. (Oh, no, I think I sense a story coming on!) My first smart phone was a DroidX, and after finding out about bloatware, I decided to root it, and uninstall the bloat. I read, and reread about how to root, and lo and behold, it all went very smoothly. Once rooted, I uninstalled all the bloatware. The trouble was, I wasn't really interested in playing around with different ROMS and customizing my phone. Then when the OTA (over the air) updates were available, I couldn't update my phone. The problem was that I didn't know enough, then, to back up the apps I had uninstalled. If I had kept them, on an external device or card, I could have easily unrooted (derooted?), gotten the update, and rooted back again...if I wanted to. Actually, I probably could have found the required apps, but I just wasn't up to what would have been a laborious process. So, I lived with my outdated OS, until I was eligible for an upgrade, so I could get a new phone.
    Lio likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    The term "ROM" is unfortunately misused in the Android world, and can be confusing to someone who actually knows what ROM is. The correct term is "firmware", and it's stored in non-volatile memory (internal flash) which is read-only for normal users and applications, as is firmware everywhere.

So whenever you see this and that ROM coming up, just mentally substitute with "firmware" and you should be ok.

-Tor
    Lio likes this.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I agree 100% with sculptedstylus! Getting rid of the bloatware was also what got me interested in rooting and then later custom ROMs - and btw, I made exactly the same mistake - LOL - but learned how to flash the full firmware

Lio, you are absolutely correct. Calling the Android firmware or OS a ROM is technically totally incorrect and generally fully accepted
    That's just the lingo used in this community. The stock OS is usually called "firmware".
    Functionally the same "bag of code" developed from an official firmware is called a "custom ROM".

Yes, you do not get any updates from the device manufacturer if you custom ROM, but I could not care less! What the developers on XDA have created for this tablet is so much better than what Asus sold us - there's just no comparison! The dev of my ROM releases updates about every two weeks! And yes, so far (for about a year) every single update has been worth it! Compare that with the 6 month cycle Asus seems to have.

Case in point: Asus seems to have a released an update for the new TF701 for WW users today which turned out to be a DOWNGRADE! I know, it's hard to believe, but these poor folks got a OTA upgrade notification, installed it, and ended up stuck on the boot screen! They unknowingly actually installed the original release firmware (JB 4.2.2) although they already were on JB 4.3! Only wiping their data partition (and loosing all their data in the process) got them back to a working system.
    So much for loosing out on official updates.....

Since I got the hang on the basics of running a custom ROM, I feel much safer having a custom recovery and fastboot access (not to mention NVflash blobs) in comparison to being on stock firmware with no access to the system and being totally dependent on whatever Asus decides to release.
    The only thing that could kill my tablet now would be hardware failure. Anything software related I am confident I could fix.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I think that Cromi X is the perfect match for most people. Its rock solid stable and wicked fast. It's what Asus Roms should have been (the developer 'sbdags' should be working for Asus he's that good)

He also assumes that his users aren't familiar with the rooting and flashing process so he links to guides and help from his main thread (something other roms should do as well)
    You said you wanted customization? This ROM has it all. There is an installer tool (much like installing a program on a computer) which lets you pick what kernel you would like (including a few over clocked kernels), which Asus apps, and extra speed tweaks. You can also install Xposed framework which Allows for customization if navigation bar, status bar and lock screen to name a few.

If you start out on cromi and want something different there are some very new KitKat Roms available as well. However I strongly suggest giving cromi a whirl to see what your tablet can really do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Lio and insight spinner like this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    21 times
    I recently took the leap and unlocked, rooted, and loaded CROMi-X on my TF700T and it has been a tremendous improvement both in performance and stability - it runs faster and no more lockups and random, spontaneous reboots. As noted, the developer (sdbags) has provided both good directions and links as needed:

[ROM]★★[JB 4.2.1][CROMi-X 5.2.3][DATA2SD/ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][DEC 16]★★ - xda-developers
    Lio likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    What great testimonials we are getting here.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Wondeful! Droidbound, you made my day
    I have a lot to read especially to understand / learn. My old brain has to work hard if I want to learn all over again. It's ridiculous as an OS upgrade may change in the way so absolute a tablet.
    This morning I was wasting my time working side by side with 3 tablet: my old iPad first generation (may 2010), the Asus MeMO FHD and my Infinity.
    And if I can understand the big difference between iPad and Asus due to the age and the operating system, leaves me rather amazed the difference between the two Asus that have a similar age and about the same OS (4.2.1 vs 4.2.2). The same apps in the store are different. On my Infinity an app for the weather forecast looks completely different from the same app downloaded to my daughter's MeMo.
    I did a search on the chance to have JB 4.2.2 on my Infinity and I saw that someone solved the problem with a ROM (CyanogenMod 10.2) or with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 RC5 Custom Firmware.
    But reading that articles was enough to understand that before I can try such a procedure, I have a long way and in any case I must first unlock the tablet. So I'm going to read all I can find, hoping someane has made ​​a step by step guide for people like me.
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and the time you're devoting me: You're all great!!
    Lio

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Remember that when you use the Asus unlock tool you will void your warranty.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Sculptedstylus,
    you're absolutely and completely right. I think I will go on to study hoping for some official upgrade from Asus, although I fear that this tablet is already considered too old to dedicate anew firmware.
    Thanks so much

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    5 times
    Dear Droidbound, in many years in front of a PC, I have never been able to give up to try a new OS, or a new software (From wherever they came). Over the years I have learned to protect myself by creating backup of all or working in a virtual partition or in Sandboxie. I just have to find out how to make backups of everything on my tablet, how to format from scratch and reinstall the operating system. And I prefer to do it now that I have nothing on the tablet.
    In addition I have to format and reinstall the old iPad to bring it back to the ancient splendors: the continuous updates have made it ​​slow and since I want to use it as an ebook reader, the old OS is enough.
    So So it is just to create a good backup and a minimum capacity of recovery and then I'll throw into the fray: D: D
    Thanks again
    Lio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links