Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By goodintentions
  • 2 Post By Tor

Thread: What is it doing when it becomes unresponsive?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

What is it doing when it becomes unresponsive?

Is there any way to find out what is slowing things down? I have tried a couple of system monitors but they do not make sense as they never show a high enough CPU or RAM usages to explain the slugishness.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    I always do a cold boot when mine gets sluggish.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If you have just turned it on it isn't the CPU or the RAM. When you bring your TF700 out of sleep it does some WiFi checks, mail and any other live widgets and the result is disk activity, (not RAM, NAND). The NAND in the TF700 is relatively slow.

If it is an all the time thing then follow Mike's suggestion

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    I guess the nand flash is plausible as it's not always sluggish

It certainly is infuriating they would hobble this device with a slow SSD but they did the same thing on the Eeepc netbooks.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertinsky View Post
    I guess the nand flash is plausible as it's not always sluggish

It certainly is infuriating they would hobble this device with a slow SSD but they did the same thing on the Eeepc netbooks.
    Well, I'm sure they were trying to work within a budget. Remember that ssd is still relatively expensive.
    Gtanner00 likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    16 times
    For me the sluggishness started after the update before the last one (forgot the number). Factory reset, cold boot etc made no difference. Mine had been running great, better than it ever did in fact. I've been hoping a new update would fix it. I don't think it's the fault of the memory. I think it's bad code and if I could revert to 4.1 it would run great, just like before.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    225 times
    I've looked a bit into the filesystem handling recently.. my TF700T (Android 4.1.1) does things a bit differently than stock Android on large-eMMC devices. The out-of-the-box way is to have the larger part of the NAND/eMMC as a FAT32 partition. This is presumably to make it really easy for vendors to provide the user/data section (set up as 'internal' SD card) as a mass-storage device for easy transfer to PCs etc.

Asus, however, mounts the internal large partition (56GB on my TF700T) as a FUSE filesystem (File system in UsEr space). On 4.1.1 it's a single FUSE filesystem, on 4.2.1 there are at least four of them, mounted in various ways. Now, a FUSE filesystem is a great way to give a filesystem exactly the features you need, and something better than FAT32 can easily be provided (and until recently Android would not support larger than 32GB as FAT32 anyway). But a FUSE filesystem is implemented via a user-level application, it's not directly handled by the kernel. When some app does a filesystem operation the kernel will catch that operation (e.g. open, read, write..) and then feed the operation to the user-level program (application) which does the actual job. The problem with this, compared to a 'native' filesystem like ext4 (or even FAT32) is that it's slower, and, worse, the user-level application is affected by the same context switches, priorities, waits etc. that every other process is. If something prevents the user-level FUSE handler to run properly you could get stuttering and delays. To analyze if this is what really happens you would need to do some root-level serial shell-level monitoring I think. In any case there's no reason to believe you can easily compare with other Android devices. Another device with the exact same apps can be problem-free even if an app misbehaves, the symptoms on an Asus tablet can be very different because its filesystem handler(s) run(s) in user space.

-Tor
    droidbound and Gtanner00 like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    This would explain why Sbdags has gotten great results with his cache2sd and data2sd mods (have not tried either) in his rom. They reliy on only one file system instead of the 4 you refer to so it would make a difference even when using equal or slightly slower external sd cards.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    This would explain why Sbdags has gotten great results with his cache2sd and data2sd mods (have not tried either) in his rom. They reliy on only one file system instead of the 4 you refer to so it would make a difference even when using equal or slightly slower external sd cards.
    Actually sbdags never implemented data2sd in the rom and he himself does not use it. It's an option to use with specific kernels, but it actually does not yield much improvement in speed or smoothness on that rom and causes more headaches in setup and maintenance than it's worth in many people's opinion.
    cache2sd is an option in the latest versions, considered to be experimental and has not done anything for me in my setup.
    But naturally your experience may differ.....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links