Thread: TF700 REBOOT issue

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

TF700 REBOOT issue

Since the old thread is a year old, I thought I would try another one. My six month old TF700 is now rebooting every 4-5 minutes and getting quite hot if not used with the reset button. Seems to be a common problem with ASUS. Has anyone else found a solution or are these forums just a place set up by ASUS to blow smoke at each other with no solution?
    Last edited by Streetwise52; 07-31-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I can't type

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    These forums are not set up by Asus. Asus has nothing to do with this forum aside from one of its reps has kindly posted here from time to time.

We are a community of owners and the staff are all volunteers who have given their time to help others.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum

As Swipe says, we are not associated with Asus. This forum is published by a privately owned company called Forum Foundry whose business revolves around internet forums (should that be "fora")

As far as your reboot problem is concerned, I can understand your frustration, I went through this problem with my tf101 in the update from Honeycomb to ICS.

The suggestions I would make to you are...
    1) Follow our "how to Factory Reset" guide (linked from the Master Help Guide, see link below)
    2) If you have the dock, do not leave the dock & tablet connected and powered on when not in use (ie in sleep mode)

If the problem still persists after that (or even without taking those steps ) then you would be perfectly entitled to contact Asus & have them fix your device under warranty as it is only 6 months old. I believe they have a pretty good track record on this issue as often they will not only fully wipe the device & re flash the firmware, but they have also been known to swap out the main board as well.

Hope that helps & all the best
    Last edited by janner43; 08-01-2013 at 02:36 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
    After a few cold boot an 2 factory reset the problem was still there.

I removed my microSD card and since then ... no problems. My unit is actually working very good since then.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise52 View Post
    Since the old thread is a year old, I thought I would try another one. My six month old TF700 is now rebooting every 4-5 minutes and getting quite hot if not used with the reset button. Seems to be a common problem with ASUS. Has anyone else found a solution or are these forums just a place set up by ASUS to blow smoke at each other with no solution?
    I may sound like a broken record here, but it is amazing how many things can be "fixed" by a factory reset. It can be a pain setting everything back up, but it has always been worth it to me.
    Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (KitKat 4.4)
    Ex-Archos 70IT 8GB (Froyo)
    Ex-Transformer Pad Prime 32GB Grey (ICS, S/N BCxxxxxxxxx)
    Transformer Pad Infinity 32GB Grey (JB, S/N C7xxxxxxxxx)
    Transformer Pad Dock AD01 Grey (FW: DOCK-EC21N-105, S/N CAxxxxxxxxx)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise52 View Post
    If after doing a factory reset and you're still getting the reboot issue go ahead and send me a PM and we can see what we can do to help you out.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

As Swipe says, we are not associated with Asus. This forum is published by a privately owned company called Forum Foundry whose business revolves around internet forums (should that be "fora")

As far as your reboot problem is concerned, I can understand your frustration, I went through this problem with my tf101 in the update from Honeycomb to ICS.

The suggestions I would make to you are...
    1) Follow our "how to Factory Reset" guide (linked from the Master Help Guide, see link below)
    2) If you have the dock, do not leave the dock & tablet connected and powered on when not in use (ie in sleep mode)

If the problem still persists after that (or even without taking those steps ) then you would be perfectly entitled to contact Asus & have them fix your device under warranty as it is only 6 months old. I believe they have a pretty good track record on this issue as often they will not only fully wipe the device & re flash the firmware, but they have also been known to swap out the main board as well.

Hope that helps & all the best
    Your suggestion 2 about the dock - is that a general recommendation and if so, why? First I've heard that - I leave mine docked and powered in sleep mode.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    @sparksd,

There were some issues with 4.2.1 which made the dock problem worse, if I've understood correctly (I stay at 4.1.1). For me, at least, there are no problems leaving the dock connected, even over night, as long as the tablet is reasonably well charged. The problem occurs if the tablet needs charging and the dock isn't fully charged, OR if the tablet needs charging and you leave the combo along for a longer period (a night or more). When the tablet dips below 70% the dock starts charging the tablet until it's at 90%, then it stops. During that period there is an LED which is switched on, and the tablet uses more power than when in pure sleep mode because it's actively managing the charging. All is well at this point if the dock was fully charged. But if it wasn't, the dock can't take another charge cycle. The real problem happens if your tablet is, say, 50% charged, and you leave it connected to a dock that is only 50% or 60% charged. At the point where the tablet is 90% charged the dock will be completely empty, or very nearly so. It definitely can't take another charge cycle. I've found that if the dock is at 90% and the tablet is at 70% then the dock will be at 53% when the tablet is back at 90% (and this is with the TF201 dock which has a slightly larger battery than the TF700 dock). This is when the tablet is completely idle, if in use the dock will discharge more before the tablet is back at 90%.

So, no problem if both are reasonably well charged. If both are lower, say around half, then the dock will be flat pretty soon. And that is very bad for the dock battery. I learned my lesson, so now I check the battery status and if the dock isn't fully charged I won't leave it connected to the tablet over night, unless the tablet is fully charged. And obviously even a fully charged dock cannot charge up an empty tablet battery - it's too small, and it'll be flat (red bar) and still trying to charge. Not good.

-Tor
    Last edited by Tor; 08-12-2013 at 04:49 AM.
    droidbound likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links