Thread: Pad overheating and battery drain issue

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Pad overheating and battery drain issue

I've only had this problem a few times, and I'm very unsure of what might be causing it, but here goes.

I was using the pad today, without the keyboard. I finished doing what I was doing, "closed" all recent apps, reconnected it to the keyboard dock, then shut it and put it away. I got home around 8 hours later to a pad that was very hot, and frozen with a bright black screen. I immediately removed it from the case, disconnected it from the keyboard, and turned it off to allow it to cool. I turned it back on after it was cooled, and it seems to be working fine so far. Both batteries are almost completely drained.

Has anyone else had this issue or have a remedy? Thanks in advance!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Try reflashing the firmware. IT might be a bug. Also, reflashing wont wipe the device. It has been reported before, but unless you are willing to download and pay for an app that will exactly tell you whats up, reflashing I would recommend, after trying a cold boot first. Cold Boot might fix it. Just search the General Forums for the guides.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    ROM: CromiX 4.5 DeOdex
    Kernel: MaxKernel V2

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    If I charge the battery while I am using my pad it always increases the battery temperature about 10 degrees more than if I do not use the charger while using the pad. I should also mention that I do not use or even have the keyboard and I think it has another battery in it so I am not sure what if any difference that would make.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Powered by Cyanogenmod !!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I cold booted it, but it happens so infrequently that I might not know if it's fixed for a while. If it happens again I'll flash it and report back.

Thanks again!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had the same problem a number of times. I'm not positive, but it seems to have only been happening since the latest OS update. Have you managed to find any more info on the issue?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't found anymore information about it, but I seem to remember it happening before the latest android update.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    By chance was IPS+ enabled for the display? I know my tf700 can get very hot in sleep mode for I left the display in IPS+

Just a thought but probably not your issue.

Likely dictated, not typed, on my LG Motion ICS 4.0 .4 with Tapatalk

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I am having the same problem......now.....I can't say if the screen looks bright black or not. However, my overall experience is similar.

I will be using the tablet, and I close my apps, then reconnect to the dock, and I'll come back several hours later, and the battery has experienced massive battery drain. Sometimes it has drained both the dock and tablet to the point that they shut down.

It's an intermittent problem. Much of the time, it only drains about 1% every six hours....it'll run like that for days. Then a day like today, when I had it at 100% charge at 8am, I pull it out at 9pm, and it's dropped to 40% charge in the dock, and 76% in the tablet.

There is nothing in the recent apps history.

I have GSAM Pro, Better Battery Stats, and CPU Spy+. None seem to show anything.......ever. I think the problem is that these apps are designed to measure usage when not charging. When the tablet is connected to the dock, it counts as charging, so I never see what caused the problem.

Is there an app, paid or free, that will let me see what is happening when it's connected to the dock?

This is both frustrating and annoying. It's an expensive device, and these rapid discharges may be damaging the battery and reducing its life.....and the battery isn't cheap to replace.

PAB5204

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I "fixed" the battery problem with mine by manually turning off wifi, bluetooth, and GPS. If I do that before closing my transformer, the batteries will last for days with the cover closed. The drawback is that when I turn the wifi back on, my transformer really crawls for 30 minutes or so while various apps try to sync up. Before I turned off the wifi / bluetooth / gps manually I had tried just putting it in airplane mode. That did not solve the discharge issue! Is there some rogue app that turns on wifi and gps while airplane mode is set? Battery usage said 90% wifi when it discharged in airplane mode. How can that be happening? I left my tablet turned off completely last time I flew just to be safe. I find myself using my wifes Nexus 7 more than my transformer because of the battery issue and laggy performance.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    This happened to me again last night....I don't know whether it's a rogue app or not....consistently, several apps might show they've caused 5% of the battery drain....but oftentimes it shows Android System as being like 35% of the battery drain.....but if the tablet is sleeping, why is that happening?

This last time it happened, I do know that I had forgotten to clear out my recently used apps, and there were about 6 of them in there. I cleared them out when I woke up, and the battery drain seems to have slowed. When I first woke up, I'd dropped from 100% to 85% overnight, which is obscene drain for sleeping. Then in the few minutes I was looking at it, and it was syncing up, it drained another 2%. But now, in the last almost six hours, it hasn't drained at all.

Luckily, I'd remembered to install Battery Widget Reborn last night, which seems to be the only thing I can find that shows battery usage when the tablet and dock are connected, and it showed 0% drain from about 11pm until 4am. Then, starting at 4am, there was a steady drain until I checked the tablet at 8am.....so 17% in 4 hours, with the tablet not doing anything.

So, I know the battery drain started suddenly, and just started running itself down, for no reason. I don't know what apps will show me what's causing drain when the tablet is connected......Better Battery Stats and GSAM both reset their timers as soon as the device starts charging....and connecting to the dock counts as charging.

I *have* noticed a few times when I've noticed drain that when I turned the screen on, there was a notification...usually from Any.Do. So I assumed that Any.Do was the culprit, and deleted it. It seemed to be good for a few days, but I've since had this problem occur twice more, and that's AFTER I reset to factory settings last week.

It's really, really annoying.

I've installed System Panel Pro, which has a battery/CPU/Process monitoring feature, and have set monitoring to "on". Hopefully this will tell me something. I need *some* app that can track when battery drain starts, and allow me to reconcile which apps were running at the time that the drain started.

I'm honestly unsure if this is an app problem, or a flaw in Android. My TF101 used to do the same thing....though in its case, it would get super hot when this was occuring, and it eventually killed the tablet.

Android should be robust enough that neither the OS, or a poorly coded app should be able to do this.

I find myself considering the newly announced Transformer Infinity with Tegra 4 and 2 GB of RAM, but then I wonder why I'd throw multiple hundreds of dollars into a THIRD device, hoping that they get it right this time.

Sorry for being negative....I acknowledge I'm grumpy today I love my tablet in many ways, but this instability in a $500 device is really annoying.

If it's just a bad app....fine.....but I just can't seem to find an app that will allow me to isolate what's causing it, reliably.

Incidentally, to a lesser degree, I've had a similar problem with my GS3, though to a lesser degree....it rarely causes the battery to completely drain, though in its case, I use GSAM, find every single process, including system processes that show more than 0.5% battery drain, and kill them all. Then, *usually* the drain stops....but even then, sometimes it has to be rebooted before the problem goes away. Frequently, the two biggest culprits appear to be Kernel and Android System. I can't kill kernel, but killing Android System sometimes helps. Those aren't downloaded apps though....those are core to the OS.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links