Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Performance issue

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my experience and I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Till last Christmas my 'desktop' was SunRay with Solaris. I haven't got smart phone or anything alike. I wanted something with ssh client and what I can use for reading web/books and emails. I wanted large screen so I can read without problems and keyboard to make it easier for input/typing.

I (wrongly) thought I could use my *nix experience with Android, and that I would be in a bit familiar waters with the GUI. It is obviously my mistake and there is nothing wrong with Android or the GUI, though I found it difficult to use.

Asus Transformer TF700T looks like the best as it has nice large screen and good hardware specification, but also unlike some others it utilize the keyboard for additional battery, USB and SD.
    I know how fast desktop can be on Quad-core CPU @ 1.6GHz as I have SPARC T2 based servers without GPU and all other good things this tablet has.

At first I was really disappointed and seriously unhappy. The device was slow and I could not make it to do what I wanted. It could do many other things like multimedia or all sorts of animations, but I do not need it and want it. I appreciate that it is partly due to my experience and expectations, so I wanted to get on and learn how to use it. After all, this suppose to be the future in computing, right?

I did my best to make it faster and usable. No widgets, no wallpaper, just simple black desktop, no anti-virus/malware apps, no synchronisations, no Bluetooth, no GPS, no apps I know I am not going to use. I couldn't find how to manage the background services and there are many things which I usually don't use, but there are nevertheless running. From what I could find on Internet at that time, the new Android version 4.2.1 should make all better and easier...

So in April I made the update. Things did not get better, but now I have some additional problems. Previously occasional black line over screen is now very common and frequent. The speed is so bad that even thiswebsite doesn't simply scroll up and down. When I go from one application to another, there is black screen for good 2-3sec. To open file or app takes significant time, and even when I type text it would occasionally stop for second or two. On daily basis the transformer stops working, few times a day I get message after few seconds of delay "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" or it simply randomly reboots. I get the same message also for some other applications, eg "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped".

I do not want to blame the hardware or OS - but is that my fault? Am I doing something wrong or I should not do?

Also I've got hdmi-VGA adapter so I could use my screen but:
    - I can't make it work on 1280x1024
    - though I can use my USB keyboard and mouse, I can't just simply close the Transformer and use external screen

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks.
    Dan

PS: the web browser crashed four times while writing this post...
    Last edited by djagor; 05-15-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    I don't have much of any suggestions at this point, but I'm also an old Unix hand and I have a TF700 (and a TF201). I don't, however, see the lag issues that you describe, well any of the issues you describe really. No reboots, and it's only extremely rarely that an application stops (although it's happened). I have not upgraded to 4.2.1, I decided to stay on 4.1.1 after reading about 4.2.1 issues here on this forum (I was lucky in that 4.2.1 wasn't rolled out to my SKU region until later).

As for disabling stuff you don't use, some of the built-in apps can be disabled by going into Settings->Apps and scroll to 'All', then select one of those annoying built-in apps and click 'Deactivate'. I have deactivated a whole bunch of those 'Asus My<something>', and '@vibe', and other rubbish.

My TF700 now basically replaces my former laptop PC when travelling. I use 'OpenVPN for Android' plus 'JuiceSSH' (much faster than the others I tried, e.g. when doing 'ls' in a directory with thousands of files), and 'MultiVNC' which is the only VNC I tried that will let those editing control chars through. For business meetings I use Cisco Webex.

-Tor

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Like Tor, I also do not experience lag on my tf700. I would suggest a cold boot or, if that doesn't help a full factory reset.
    Cold boot instructions http://www.transformerforums.com/for...html#post97001
    Factory reset http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Welcome dj... I'm not sure how you updated to 4.2.1, but these are the recommended steps when updating. As Tor has pointed out, some of the 'bloat' can be disabled...though I don't think it can be un-installed. Seems to me it shouldn't be slowing your machine down to what you're describing. Not sure if you've tried a cold boot -- good to do anytime you experience a slow down: doesn't harm any of your data, basically blows the cobwebs out of the system. Factory resets, though more involved, can often clear up lingering issues. I'd have a read through the Master Help Guide. The links I've provided are contained there, with a boatload of other info that can help tweak your tablet. As I mentioned, imo you shouldn't be having this lumbering turtle for a tablet...I'm not sure what browser 'crashed 4 times' during your post, but that alone smells odd. I'd try a cold boot and/or factory reset if it were me, and if it's the stock browser you're having an issue with, test out another. Boat is popular (supports Flash) and has a few more options than stock....Lightning Browser is another that is starting to get some good feedback. (haven't used it personally as of yet, but plan on giving it a go) Hopefully with a little tweaking your tablet will come around...cheers, keep us posted.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Yes it looks like a Factory Reset is in your future. Follow the advice of the links that the Mods have provided above for backing stuff up etc. Then once the Factory reset is completed and all settled then it's time to do more tweaking with different browsers like eejit suggested. And why stop there. Try out a couple different launchers also IE: Apex or ADW to name the top choices here at the forum. I myself was having trouble with the stock launcher continuing to close on me even after doing a complete data wipe Factory Reset. I switched to the paid version of Apex launcher and haven't had any troubles since.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all for your comments. The web browser I used was the build-in, not Chrome. But as far as I can see it doesn't have specific name(?).

The tabled rebooted after the update to 4.2.1, but I didn't know about the 'cool boot'. I've done that, at seams to me that the lag is gone and general response is much better. I'll use it for while and see.

I've disabled or deleted many apps already beforehand, but I couldn't find any information about dependencies or descriptions what is what (eg all the com.android.* or com.asus apps). I'm happy to disable all what I don't use, but I do not want to cripple the tablet or make it unusable.

I still get the black line over screen, but I noticed here that I'm not the only one. From what I could find I'm not sure if it is software or hardware problem, if Factory Reset may help or I should send it back to Asus.

Any suggestions on the external VGA?

Thank you all,
    Dan
    Last edited by djagor; 05-16-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djagor View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. The web browser I used was the build-in, not Chrome. But as far as I can see it doesn't have specific name(?).

The tabled rebooted after the update to 4.2.1, but I didn't know about the 'cool boot'. I've done that, at seams to me that the lag is gone and general response is much better. I'll use it for while and see.

I've disabled or deleted many apps already beforehand, but I couldn't find any information about dependencies or descriptions what is what (eg all the com.android.* or com.asus apps). I'm happy to disable all what I don't use, but I do not want to cripple the tablet or make it unusable.

I still get the black line over screen, but I noticed here that I'm not the only one. From what I could find I'm not sure if it is software or hardware problem, if Factory Reset may help or I should send it back to Asus.

Any suggestions on the external VGA?

Thank you all,
    Dan
    The black line, which I found out by what the dev who makes CM10.1 for the TF700 said, what creates the black line is proprietary, meaning devs cannot touch it without copyright infringement. I am sure otherwise there would be a custom fix. As for ASUS, you can only cross your fingers. I myself expect a new update coming VERY soon with many bugs fixes on 4.2.1. If you are unhappy with 4.2.1 ATM, just wait a little bit and patch should be here at any time.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    ROM: CROMIX 4.5 DeOdex
    Kernel: Hundsbuah/MaxKernel
    Theme: Timberwolf's Blues and Jazz Theme

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links