Thread: Battery drain when connected to dock

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times

Battery drain when connected to dock

Ok so I fully charged my TF 700 and the dock last night and put the tab to sleep with wifi off. This morning I awoke to a dead tablet and completely drained dock! Any help with this issue? Have any of you experienced this?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    Yes, although i own a tf300 i have the same issue you describe, Battery drain has only happened *In my case* Since the 4.2.1 update & will only be fixed with another update from asus. Most of the members on the forum have the same problem.

So you are not alone...

Catt
    Its mind over matter - What does it matter never mind - by me

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattblue View Post
    Yes, although i own a tf300 i have the same issue you describe, Battery drain has only happened *In my case* Since the 4.2.1 update & will only be fixed with another update from asus. Most of the members on the forum have the same problem.

So you are not alone...

Catt
    Ok thanks for the response Catt! I was spazzing out because I knew I just charged it. Hopefully a fix will come soon from Asus.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skie View Post
    Ok thanks for the response Catt! I was spazzing out because I knew I just charged it. Hopefully a fix will come soon from Asus.
    Give the tablet a couple of cold-boots. The battery really shouldn't be draining that fast over night..
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Give the tablet a couple of cold-boots. The battery really shouldn't be draining that fast over night..
    I will try that thanks. It only happens once in a while and only when it's connected to the mobile dock.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Ok, here's an explanation for the battery drain from sbdags, the developer of CROMi-X over on XDA:

When attached to the dock, the dock keeps the tablet from entering deep sleep because it wakes it up again and again to charge it. This cycle continues and makes both batteries drain at the same time. The tablet by being pulled out of deep sleep and the dock charging the depleting tab battery....
    The only solution at this point is to keep the tablet with an attached dock plugged in overnight or to disconnect the tablet from the dock to let it enter deep sleep.

I would be very curious if Tien had a comment on that theory.

Another user on XDA reported the following: The battery drain only happens when you attach the tablet to the dock when awake and then turn it off (putting it in sleep mode).
    If you reboot with the dock attached, then turn the tablet off, there's no battery drain.
    I cannot confirm this because I do not have this problem, but maybe one of you guys wants to test it?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Skie likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Ok, here's an explanation for the battery drain from sbdags, the developer of CROMi-X over on XDA:

When attached to the dock, the dock keeps the tablet from entering deep sleep because it wakes it up again and again to charge it. This cycle continues and makes both batteries drain at the same time. The tablet by being pulled out of deep sleep and the dock charging the depleting tab battery....
    The only solution at this point is to keep the tablet with an attached dock plugged in overnight or to disconnect the tablet from the dock to let it enter deep sleep.

Another user on XDA reported the following: The battery drain only happens when you attach the tablet to the dock when awake and then turn it off (putting it in sleep mode).
    If you reboot with the dock attached, then turn the tablet off, there's no battery drain.
    I cannot confirm this because I do not have this problem, but maybe one of you guys wants to test it?

Thanks for that post. I think both users are right because I have my tablet set to disconnect from wifi when I put it in sleep mode so that makes since if the dock is trying to charge the tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Hi Tien, if you have a channel to your developers here's one suggestion/question:

I have read (and don't know if it's true) that one degrades the performance and longevity of the batterie(s) the TF700 has, if you let them drain completely.
    If that is true, there should be a build in cut-off point at which the dock stops charging the tablet.
    The way it is now, there is no way to prevent the dock from draining to 0% and thereby constantly damaging the battery! Unless you worry about it all the time and check.......

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    The way it is now, there is no way to prevent the dock from draining to 0% and thereby constantly damaging the battery! Unless you worry about it all the time and check.......
    I'm not Tien (he may weigh in) but I am pretty sure the dock is designed to stop discharging at 3% and then the tablet is supporting the dock's charge!
    If your dock drains lower than that it would be possibly due to the internal battery charge sensor getting a bit out of whack. Could be the tablets software, could be the dock's battery sensor - Have a look at the many comments, suggestions and links provided in the Battery Use Guide. This has been covered on the forum several times.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times

This is true, and this is why I un-dock the tablet when I know I'm going to be away for more than a few days. When the tablet is docked, it's essentially charging, thus no need to go into deep sleep. I haven't owned a whole lot of Android devices, but it's my understanding that this is normal for all Android devices while being charged. Since the tablet cannot go into deep sleep, and because the dock is constantly waking it to charge, the battery drains at a quicker rate.

The battery drain only happens when you attach the tablet to the dock when awake and then turn it off (putting it in sleep mode).
    I am not sure about this. As long as the tablet is docked, it will be charged when needed. I don't see how rebooting with the dock attached and then turning off would make a difference.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links