Thread: Onscreen Keyboard Issue

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Onscreen Keyboard Issue

I have been having a bit of an issue with the onscreen keyboard and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it. When I'm using it to type in forums like this and I mis-type sometimes using the backspace button the cursor will suddenly jump up into the text above. It will also do this if I choose a suggested word as I am typing and insert the word into the text above. I tested it out below mis-typing below and it still does it with the latest update from Asus' web site. :-(

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

I don't know if this is an issue with the soft keyboard as such.

Let me explain... I don't use a physical keyboard at all any more. Everything I type here, or for anything else is done on a soft keyboard. Now, when I first started out using the onscreen keyboard it was a bit of a learning curve. Sometimes, my key presses would go adrift, or the cursor would "move" as you describe. However, I have discovered that sometimes this was due to my fat fingers. Other times to genuine keying errors. Additionally, website scripts (that part of the coding of the page that allows for typing) sometimes threw up errors. Also sometimes if a page wasn't fully loaded, or browser compatibility issues - they also played a part.

I hope that adds some "fuel for thought" for you. Nowadays, I have got used to the occasional vagaries of different soft keyboards on different devices - whether Android, with all the devices in my signature "pantheon" or even the much vaunted Apple - whose soft keyboard has to be one of the worst I ever use - and unlike Android, they won't let you load all a third party keyboard to replace it!

Hope that helps, somewhat

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    It happens to me too. It really is irritating to have to get off the couch and go to the PC to complete a responce to a post because the onscreen keyboard is so messed up. Matters not that it's either of the keyboard from the 700 or an app. (I use Swiftkey Pro) I'm sure it's more a browser problem than anything. But it is VERY VERY frustrating!

So, I installed Splashtop on my PC and the 700 and when it gets really frustrating I open Splashtop and use Internet Explorer and get the job done. Android has a ways to go with getting browsers up to par IMO.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    GotGroceries, I use Swype, and when it starts to act wonky, I go to the Settings>Apps>Swype, and clear the data and cache. Maybe that would work for you too!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

I don't know if this is an issue with the soft keyboard as such.

Let me explain... I don't use a physical keyboard at all any more. Everything I type here, or for anything else is done on a soft keyboard. Now, when I first started out using the onscreen keyboard it was a bit of a learning curve. Sometimes, my key presses would go adrift, or the cursor would "move" as you describe. However, I have discovered that sometimes this was due to my fat fingers. Other times to genuine keying errors. Additionally, website scripts (that part of the coding of the page that allows for typing) sometimes threw up errors. Also sometimes if a page wasn't fully loaded, or browser compatibility issues - they also played a part.

I hope that adds some "fuel for thought" for you. Nowadays, I have got used to the occasional vagaries of different soft keyboards on different devices - whether Android, with all the devices in my signature "pantheon" or even the much vaunted Apple - whose soft keyboard has to be one of the worst I ever use - and unlike Android, they won't let you load all a third party keyboard to replace it!

Hope that helps, somewhat
    Thanks for the welcome. Based on what you said I've pretty much narrowed it down to the built in web browser that Asus provided. I played with all kinds of settings on either the Asus keyboard and Android keyboard. None of those helped. Then I came back here and reread the post. Now that I'm using the Google Chrome browser the issue seems to be gone, good thing too because not being able to use the onscreen keyboard would have seriously had me consider returning this tablet. I very used to how well the onscreen keyboard works on the two different iPhones I have had thus far. Those have pretty much always worked as I expected and hopefully using this Google Chrome browser will restore my hope for this tablet. Thanks!
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh crap the Chrome browser doesn't support Flash! Any suggestions?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gotgroceries View Post
    Oh crap the Chrome browser doesn't support Flash! Any suggestions?
    Yup

Visit the browser guide thread linked in my signature for a lot of advice on that very subject (You will need to view the thread from a browser to see it, not Tapatalk)

Firefox or Boat browser seem to be most folks favourites if they need Flash support. But to be honest - as with iOS where you either love Safari or find it lacking - the stock TF browser & Chrome are also lacking on Android.

Most of us have two or three different browsers installed as one just doesn't seem to get the job done.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Most of us have two or three different browsers installed as one just doesn't seem to get the job done.
    That's just sad, achieving mediocrity seems to be the norm in a lot of stuff.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gotgroceries View Post
    That's just sad, achieving mediocrity seems to be the norm in a lot of stuff.
    I personally think the stock browser it's a actually very decent browser. If you have browser 2 ram, the stock browser flies faster then any third party browser I have seen yet. Chrome with browser 2 ram runs really quick as well but as you said it does not support flash player.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    ROM: Cromi-X 4.3
    Kernal: _That's V2

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    I personally think the stock browser it's a actually very decent browser. If you have browser 2 ram, the stock browser flies faster then any third party browser I have seen yet. Chrome with browser 2 ram runs really quick as well but as you said it does not support flash player.

Tylor

ROM: Cromi-X 4.3
    Kernal: _That's V2
    Where do you get browser 2 ram. I saw an Astro browser ram in the play store, but no browser 2 ram?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links