Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tablet only charging when docked

  1. #1
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times

    Question Tablet only charging when docked

    This is probably a long shot and I'm assuming I will be doing an RMA, but thought I'd ask anyway...

    I just noticed that my tablet will not charge without being docked. I typically always keep my TF700 docked and only detach the tablet every so often (to play games on the crapper, or in bed, etc.) A few nights back, I decided to charge it without putting it back in the dock. Woke up and it was dead. No charge. Put it in the dock and plugged the charger in. Charged fine. Thought it was just some fluke. Drained battery down to about 65% and gave charging just the tablet another shot. Nothing. Funny thing is, I noticed that if I turn the screen off, it will turn back on when I plug the charger in. It just doesn't charge.

    When I use the charging USB cable to connect to my PC, the PC recognizes it just fine and the tablet kicks off ASUS PC sync tool.

    Tried doing a cold boot. Didn't help. Haven't tried doing a factory reset yet, but will try that before I call ASUS for an RMA.

    Since the charger works fine when charging the dock, it shouldn't be a charger issue. Since connecting the tablet to my PC with the USB cable works fine, the USB cable is good and the charging port on the tablet is at least recognizing connections (as well as the docking connection.)

    I'm at a loss other than it's some sort of hardware issue with the charging port on the tablet that isn't working right for charging but is working fine otherwise.

    Any help is appreciated before I bite the bullet and call ASUS.

  2. #2
    Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    12453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Posts
    14,013
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

    Three bits of advice...
    1. Try a cold boot undocked & then try again (link in signature)
    2. Have a read through our battery/charging guide thread linked from the Master Help Guide (link in signature)

    But sadly, I don't have much hope for 1 or 2, so I expect 3 will come as no surprise...

    3. Contact Asus - Factory Reset your device to protect your privacy prior to returning it though. We have a guide in the Master Help Guide that covers that process, including backing up your data.

    Good luck

    PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

    Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

    Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

    Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

    Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

  3. #3
    Jazz
    Member #
    53101
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    5 times
    I guess I should have posted my findings a while ago but life keeps me distracted and I had forgotten to make a post concerning this issue.
    I guess I should post them now. Better late than never. This is what I have done and have discovered.
    When I originally got my Transformer TF300T for Xmas past, it had Icecream for the OS then a few days later it showed there was an update to Jellybean and so I did the update. Not long after that I noticed my tablet would not charge disconnected from the keyboard dock like you have mentioned in this thread.
    I then waited to see if anyone else has figured out what to do or to call Asus. The next update to Jellybean came and I said to myself maybe this will fix the problem but no. Before calling Asus I decided to do a factory reset and that didn't seem to fix the charging issue. When I plug in the charging cable to the dock and on the screen the widget for the battery shows the little lightning bolt and it charges. Just trying to charge the tablet by itself without using the dock the widget does not show the lightning bolt....hmmm. So one night I decided to turn the tablet off and try to charge it alone. I was at about17 or 18% left before shutting down. I left it charging over night while I slept and I awoken in the morning with a fully charged tablet. Yet the widget does not show it charging. Now I am awaiting on a car charger for when I'm on the road and I want to see if it will charge. Can it be on while charging or will I have to shut it down. I have tried charging during the day when there was at least more than 50% left on the battery and with the tablet on and it does charge but again the battery widget does not show it is charging. Now what I have not done yet is to use the tablet while it is plugged in.
    The good thing is it does charge. NOt exactly to what I would want or think it should. But, it does charge.

    Fab

  4. #4
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

    Three bits of advice...
    1. Try a cold boot undocked & then try again (link in signature)
    2. Have a read through our battery/charging guide thread linked from the Master Help Guide (link in signature)

    But sadly, I don't have much hope for 1 or 2, so I expect 3 will come as no surprise...

    3. Contact Asus - Factory Reset your device to protect your privacy prior to returning it though. We have a guide in the Master Help Guide that covers that process, including backing up your data.

    Good luck
    Thanks. Tried a cold boot undocked already. Read through the battery/charging guide with no luck. Option 3 is my next step unless someone else has run into this and managed to fix it in a less intrusive way.
    janner43 likes this.

  5. #5
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabforce1 View Post
    I guess I should have posted my findings a while ago but life keeps me distracted and I had forgotten to make a post concerning this issue.
    I guess I should post them now. Better late than never. This is what I have done and have discovered.
    When I originally got my Transformer TF300T for Xmas past, it had Icecream for the OS then a few days later it showed there was an update to Jellybean and so I did the update. Not long after that I noticed my tablet would not charge disconnected from the keyboard dock like you have mentioned in this thread.
    I then waited to see if anyone else has figured out what to do or to call Asus. The next update to Jellybean came and I said to myself maybe this will fix the problem but no. Before calling Asus I decided to do a factory reset and that didn't seem to fix the charging issue. When I plug in the charging cable to the dock and on the screen the widget for the battery shows the little lightning bolt and it charges. Just trying to charge the tablet by itself without using the dock the widget does not show the lightning bolt....hmmm. So one night I decided to turn the tablet off and try to charge it alone. I was at about17 or 18% left before shutting down. I left it charging over night while I slept and I awoken in the morning with a fully charged tablet. Yet the widget does not show it charging. Now I am awaiting on a car charger for when I'm on the road and I want to see if it will charge. Can it be on while charging or will I have to shut it down. I have tried charging during the day when there was at least more than 50% left on the battery and with the tablet on and it does charge but again the battery widget does not show it is charging. Now what I have not done yet is to use the tablet while it is plugged in.
    The good thing is it does charge. NOt exactly to what I would want or think it should. But, it does charge.

    Fab
    Interesting, but I don't believe mine does charge, as it was dead when I woke up and had the tablet plugged in. I haven't tried charging it overnight since, so maybe I'll give it another shot to see if it does manage to charge eventually. Either way, something is not working properly, like you said.

  6. #6
    Jazz
    Member #
    53101
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
    Interesting, but I don't believe mine does charge, as it was dead when I woke up and had the tablet plugged in. I haven't tried charging it overnight since, so maybe I'll give it another shot to see if it does manage to charge eventually. Either way, something is not working properly, like you said.
    Do the factory reset first though. Before getting the results I have it did not charge just like you say. And only after I did the factory reset did it start to charge the way it does now.
    It does suck that you will have to re-install your apps but I'd rather that then have to send it away and wait to use my Transformer again and who knows what they will do to it if anything....
    Now does a TF700 vs TF300 make a difference for this problem...couldn't tell ya.

    Fab

  7. #7
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabforce1 View Post
    Do the factory reset first though. Before getting the results I have it did not charge just like you say. And only after I did the factory reset did it start to charge the way it does now.
    It does suck that you will have to re-install your apps but I'd rather that then have to send it away and wait to use my Transformer again and who knows what they will do to it if anything....
    Now does a TF700 vs TF300 make a difference for this problem...couldn't tell ya.

    Fab
    I just turned the tablet completely off and plugged in the charger. The orange charging light doesn't come on, but I let it sit for a bit anyway. I think I turned it off at about 51%. When I turned it back on after letting it sit, it had 55%. It might actually be charging if the tablet is completely off. The screen doesn't seem to go off if I plug the charger into the tablet with the tablet on.

    I will let it sit for longer and make sure it's charging while off. After that, I'll try doing a factory wipe and see if that changes anything.

    Pretty ticked off about this. I only have a TF700 because I was able to exchange my TF201 after that whole disaster. This is most likely my last Asus product. I thought the TF201 was just an early adopter mistake, yet here I am again.

  8. #8
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Update: This morning I woke up and opened the tablet (it was docked) and the tablet and dock were very warm. The screen was also lit but frozen and the power button did nothing. Never had this happen before. Was able to reset it with the pinhole reset button and tablet cooled down and acted normal. I tried a factory reset to see if it changed anything with the charging issue, but it didn't.

    Contacted Asus and got an RMA number.

  9. #9
    Soundwave
    Member #
    47285
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    12
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello z33tec,

    I have the exact same problem as you. My 700T charges fine when docked but will not charge with charger plugged in at the tablet charging port. I have tried everything and searched the web. Found others with same problem, all had to RMA back to Asus for fix. I thought maybe the new Jelly Bean update would fix it but no change. I received an RMA from Asus a while back but did not send it in hoping for a way. I will be sending in my 700T and crossing my fingers that it will be returned in its pristine shape. Sorry to hear you are having the same problem, hope all works out OK for you.

  10. #10
    Soundwave
    Member #
    55755
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Just a final update for anyone who runs into the same issue. I just got the tablet back from Asus and it is charging fine now. Hopefully it stays this way. No idea what they did to fix it as it just says they repaired it in the description. Took 15 days for the whole RMA process.
    janner43 likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. When docked uses tablet battery first?
    By tarheels55 in forum Transformer Pad 300 Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 01:49 AM
  2. charging tablet and still using a usb?
    By drayid in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
  3. TF300 Charging Indicator is not blinking when docked.....??
    By abdoualy in forum Transformer Pad 300 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 05:22 AM
  5. Disable charging while docked?
    By ChiGGz in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Search tags for this page

android tablet is fully charged but only stays on when on charger
,
asus tablet charging problem only charges using a pc
,

can i charge my tablet when 65%

,
cnm tablet doesn't connect to pc
,

my tablet only charges when off

,

need to charge tablet before use

,

rma z33tec tf201

,

tablet stays on only when plugged in

,

turned tablet on before charging

,

what does it mean when a computer tablet is docked

,
what to do if your tablet doesn charge
,
why i couldn't charge my tablet from pc
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 AM.