Thread: Help with tf700 new Tablet Please

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times

Help with tf700 new Tablet Please

Hi, I am not only new to this forum, I am new to the "Tablet World"!
    I just received the Asus tf700 as I had wanted a tablet for quite awhile.
    Knowing absolutely NOTHING about them, I was lucky to get it to turn on!

1st off, When I turned it on, I was greeted with questions to answer (welcome screen) which some I didn't know how to answer but survived. I then was lost as to what to do but did find the Tablet had NO Sound!

I decided on sending it back and get a Samsung thinking tf700's are problems?

The next day:

Before packing it up I decided to try it again.
    I searched and found a couple other people had the same identical problem as I. They never posted back for me to know an answer. One help replied to that person asking this: Go to settings/sound/defaultnotification. Do you hear it when you pick one? and no answer back.

I tried that and I myself, did get SOUND! SO---- I tried music and the Recorder again and by golly, I could hear sound which didn't the day before! Figure that one out? So I decided to hang onto it.

Does GPS have to have something from online to be able to work? It keeps searching and searching only to end up saying something to that effect. In other words, what do I have to know before I can get GPS to work?

I do not have wireless at home but planned on using it wireless at the Library to put on it what needs be to be able to enjoy some of what it has to offer offline at home. Before I go to the Library, is there anything I should know how to do when I get online?

Also------Under Settings: Location Services, which boxes should be checked? There are 3 of them. Google this and Google that.

I have checked out the help sights here but I need "Baby Steps" to help understand stuff? Give me a Tablet and I can be "Dangerous"
    ANY HELP is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    476 times
    Hi Urlee, welcome. You are savvy enough to find these forumns and add the cutest bird pic to your profile, so I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit!!

Lots of questions there but let me see if I can help you out with 1 or 2. You will see at the bottom of this post in blue, a link that says Master Help Guide. You should have a read through there. Lots of great " baby steps".
    GPS, and the location services, personally, I would check the first 2 for sure, you don't need to click the 3rd one. Also, tap your clock lower right corner, there is a bar with a bunch of icons, you can use your fingerto drag it left and right, the last one on the right is the gps, make sure it is lit up, that means it is on. You will already have Maps in your app drawer. Click on it and see if it finds you!

Let us know when you've tried it and we will see if it is working ok.

Getting on line at the library... chances are that your tf700 is going to need an update, this will try and happen the first time you connect it to wifi/internet. Just thought I would let you ponder that. It may be advantageous to borrow a friend or relative's wifi for the initial set up.
    Last edited by frenziedfemale; 02-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    urlee likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by urlee View Post
    Hi, I am not only new to this forum, I am new to the "Tablet World"!
    I have checked out the help sights here but I need "Baby Steps" to help understand stuff? Give me a Tablet and I can be "Dangerous"
    ANY HELP is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Urlee,

Welcome to the forums and I too was
    just like you a few months ago. Don't
    worry, Android and tablets are easy to
    learn and fun to learn too.

I recommend you start here and take
    ONE topic at a time. That is what I did,
    and it worked great, in fact sometimes I
    go back and read through it and learn
    something new.

MASTER HELP GUIDE

Lastly, GPS does need at first a Wifi signal
    of some sorts, at least that's what I've found.
    Especially if you're going to use Navigation.
    Because Google maps needs to download
    the images of where you're at, where you're
    going etc. Once I tried to start driving with
    navigation, and then shut off my Wifi tethering
    from my phone, and ... you guessed it, NO MORE
    NAVIGATION.

Gotta remember, this is a tablet not a dedicated car
    GPS system that has all the maps pre installed.

It needs to download the images or roads etc.
    as you go.

Good luck !

Peace!
    urlee likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times
    There are ways to use the tablet as an offline GPS, but you will most likely have to pay for a GPS app and download the maps you need.

In my experience, Google Maps/Navigation will cache your route when online so you can use it offline, but it will not work to redirect you if you get off your route. Even downloading the offline map files will not allow you to get directions even if it is all within the cached area, you must be online for it to get directions.

I use Sygic when traveling and it works really good, even has speed cameras and red light cameras in it for most places I have been.

If you live in the US, you can try out Nav Free USA and see how you like it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en
    urlee likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTOKINAWA View Post
    Urlee,
    Don't worry, Android and tablets are easy to
    learn and fun to learn too.
    Weeeeelll... There's a lot of pokin' and hopin' and more pokin' with these devices that are bereft of an even rudimentary user guide. Can't come back if there's a problem and say: "Dang, did'ja RTFM?" (I use that on my GF all the time. But then again, I am a writer of these user guides nobody reads, so I'm kinda sensitive to the lack.) Learning the tablet is like being back in the rear seat of my first Chevy. All I had then too were my fingers, an unknown device, and no bloody user guide. Pokin' and hopin'...

And Sarge, that scary avatar of yours is probably causing new cutey Urlee Bird avatar to expel little bbs and overstress its little lungs. Could get messy.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2317 times
    And if you don't live in the USA NavFree also have UK & EU maps & an app too - actually NavFree came out before NavFree USA. I use it & also contribute to the OpenStreetMap project that backs it - I may not contribute much, but I try to add new information for my local area when I see it.

Read through the Master Help Guide & the other links in my signature & before long you'll be an expert user...

Last edited by janner43; 02-12-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    Frederuco, briped and urlee like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    There are ways to use the tablet as an offline GPS, but you will most likely have to pay for a GPS app and download the maps you need.

In my experience, Google Maps/Navigation will cache your route when online so you can use it offline, but it will not work to redirect you if you get off your route. Even downloading the offline map files will not allow you to get directions even if it is all within the cached area, you must be online for it to get directions.

I use Sygic when traveling and it works really good, even has speed cameras and red light cameras in it for most places I have been.

If you live in the US, you can try out Nav Free USA and see how you like it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en
    I've been working with the map app and GPS. Works pretty well. Additional areas/maps can be downloaded. But it is limited to I think five maps, and each at a maximum of around 88 MB. Granted, that can be quite a large area. So planning ahead as to where you are going, what city or area and you can have all you need to to get where you want be. Location accuracy is good. I don't think anybody is launching missiles, so pinpoint accuracy down to a meter or less isn't needed. Though if you're launching missiles, 10 to 20 meters is probably close enough.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    I forgot where I posted this under and almost had to have a "GPS" to find my way back here?

I want to thank BOTH of you for the GREAT responses back! I shall certainly read all to try to figure this "High Tech" $$ Toy out.

I was not aware of: Also, tap your clock lower right corner, there is a bar with a bunch of icons, you can use your finger to drag it left and right, the last one on the right is the gps, make sure it is lit up, that means it is on. You will already have Maps in your app drawer. Click on it and see if it finds you! I will have to check into that. I have been clicking on the blue Arrow Navigation icon from the home screen thinking that was how to get GPS?
    Is the app drawer, my home screen with all the icons? (urlee running to the dictionary help page?)

The video one looks great but being on "dialup" may take quite awhile to load. Will take my netbook to a wireless connection and see if I can pick it up that way.
    Yes, you may think I am nuts to spend so much $$ on something I can not use to the fullest not having router wireless at my home but hey, I have spent twice as much years ago for a cassette tape video camera that just sits collecting dust cause that is all a person can do with it where a Tablet can be used every day for fun and enjoyment. Right? (smiles)

I will be on the Tablet later to experiment some more with your help here.
    Thanks loads!
    urlee
    eejit, frenziedfemale and Swipe like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    Yikes! So many more posts while I had answered the only two that was here while I was answering those. Forgive me. THANK you ALL for what I see here. Yes, I have seen the help guide but have to look at it again more closely.

And Sarge, that scary avatar of yours is probably causing new cutey Urlee Bird avatar to expel little bbs and overstress its little lungs. Could get messy.
    "LOL" YES, I did get a little frightened when I saw that but braved it out.

urlee

Whoops-----Didn't see the edit option to have done it to the above one.
    Last edited by urlee; 02-12-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2317 times
    Hi Urlee,

Your App Drawer is accessed by tapping the collection of little boxes in the top right hand corner of the screen.

One of the links in my signature covers Android Guides - perhaps one of the most important liks to click on as it has a number of guides (including video guides) some of which, while referring to older versions of Android, will give you a great overview of the Operating System on your new device.

As your TF is also wireless, you might find that spending a morning or afternoon in your local coffee shop, pub, bar, MacDonalds or whatever (anywhere with free public wifi access) will be time worth spent & may even be something that you could do on a regular basis while you get orientated.

I'm surprised you are still running a dial up connection though! I wonder if you have looked into Broadband with a wireless setup as, certainly herein the UK, dial up disappeared quite a few years back & entry level Broadband services can now be had for maybe only 3 monthly on a 12 month contract.

Good to have another keen member on board.
    urlee likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads