Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1048 times
    ^^^^
    Yup, Janner is right on the money. I don't know a sku from a skidoo & a rom is a local museum down the road.
    But following that guide I had no trouble at all. Hit those 6 wee buttons on your home screen to open the App Drawer & you'll find Asus backup.
    It will give you options to back up Apps or Apps & Data, don't let it fool you...the data it refers to is not your data (ie your photos/notes), it is the App Data.
    So backup that, then, backup the personal stuff you want to keep...photo's/notes/ebooks/tunes etc. You can put that on sd card (not sure how, we can point you in the right direction...but you can do it through the File Manager with copy & paste functions.) Just remember when you're done, remove the sd card from your device before you factory reset. You can safely eject the sd card by going to Settings/Storage and scrolling to the bottom to get 'unmount or eject external storage'. Not sure what it reads exactly...often this sd card will be shown in the notification window as well. Tap the clock and see if external storage shows at the bottom. You can also unmount there, though sometimes it doesn't show up or is hidden. Don't let it scare ya, android is forgiving and the site is packed full of help.

Also, if you dig your camera and want a brief tour of options, a basic tour is here.
    urlee likes this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    58 times
    urlee - carefully read janner43's reply above. This member knows his stuff. Click the link he provided and read it carefully. Re-read as many times as necessary until you thoroughly understand it and feel comfortable.

I sympathize with you in the fact that you're rather skittish about all these terms (new to you) and info. Believe me, when I first started messing with computers years ago I was nervous too. To be honest, you're making more out of this than it deserves. A few months from now, you'll look back and realize this to be true. It's not hard, you won't 'brick' your tablet and the procedures involved are much easier to implement than you may think. With all the expert advice here you'll be updated and using the Jelly Bean update in no time at all.

May the Force be with you!
    bfmetcalf, janner43 and urlee like this.
    I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
    ~Robert A. Heinlein~

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    Hi, I just wanted to report back to you to THANK you for the info in helping me here and being so patient with me.

I am going to read your replies over and over plus the guides. Yes the words "factory reset" makes me nervous but I have to study that as to what it does/what happens after?
    I am so afraid of losing what is on the tablet from out of the box!
    I, as you must know, have not put any "Apps" on the machine as I have not been online yet to be able to, as if I knew how? (smiles)

I must say, for the first time, this morning when I played with it, I had a grin on my face towards liking it because I took the tiny card out of my hand scanner to slip into the tablet and when the whatever was on the card, showed up on the Tablet screen, I jumped with joy! That alone is worth the $$ I paid for the tablet as I LOVE photo's I have taken to see on screen. AND THANK you so much eeji for the thread on how to use the camera as I am going to read and study that too!

I am ordering a 64GB SDXC card as soon as I can find a (not too expensive) case/stand for the tablet I like with a strap. (no keyboard)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    466 times
    A factory reset will put your tablet back to the exact state it was when you unboxed it, although if you have done any ASUS updates, like the one we have been talking about here, that will not revert back. So any apps on the tablet when you got it will still be there, any apps or data ( pictures, etc...) will be gone. You can save your pictures, and documents by moving them to the micro sdcard. Since you haven't installed any apps there is no reason to back them up.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1048 times
    ^^^
    Yup, just what ff said.
    I just did a factory reset last week, trying to fix an app problem.
    What happens after?? It's just like unboxing your tablet for the first time again...except you've already seen the screens before when you first turned it on.
    Really, that's what happens....it's like having a new tablet. You are presented with the welcome window, you pick your system language again, then it asks your account (gmail) info.
    That's about it urlee. It just starts the tablet like it is new again--BUT, it has the system update on the tablet. Three things you may be worried about - cause I was first time -
    Once you get a system update, do you lose it again doing a factory reset? No.
    Do you lose the apps that came installed on your tablet doing a factory reset? No.
    Do you lose everything else? Yes.

So, you would lose the apps you personally installed--as you've said, you haven't installed any yet.
    You would lose your pictures. But those you can transfer over to your little memory chip, do the factory reset, and transfer right on back.
    It's good to keep a backup of all these pictures on another computer/device anyway...only having one copy is a recipe for disaster and there are lotsa threads around here to prove it.
    Nice to see your enthusiasm.
    urlee likes this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    Bless you, Bless you, for the explanations here to assure me of not "Destroying" what I am seeing and have on the Tablet that came from the Factory!

I am curious as to what happens when "Jelly Bean" gets on the machine? Does it operate the same?
    How is it different from IceCreamSandwich? I don't even know where it says that on my unit. I looked in settings for it. (about) Not there.
    Does it change the programs that are on there now as far as the icons on the screen (app drawer), and how they work?
    What if I want it to stay ICS?

I had a bad experience with my computer that left me sick to my stomach and so sad which took away the joy of when it was working the way it was before. I did a "Destructive" Recovery by mistake and lost the way it used to be and now does not work like it used to. I had it in for repair. My sound recorder does not work, my mic does not work nor Audacity to where I used to make movies and slide shows. Now I can't. I had so many things hooked up to it which are useless now. I gave up on that enjoyment. I knew where everything was and how to use them which is not anymore.

I just had to throw that in so you would know why I shake in my boots when it comes to doing updates and stuff I do not understand.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    251 times

Re: Help with tf700 new Tablet Please

Quote Originally Posted by urlee View Post
    Bless you, Bless you, for the explanations here to assure me of not "Destroying" what I am seeing and have on the Tablet that came from the Factory!

I am curious as to what happens when "Jelly Bean" gets on the machine? Does it operate the same?
    How is it different from IceCreamSandwich? I don't even know where it says that on my unit. I looked in settings for it. (about) Not there.
    Does it change the programs that are on there now as far as the icons on the screen (app drawer), and how they work?
    What if I want it to stay ICS?

I had a bad experience with my computer that left me sick to my stomach and so sad which took away the joy of when it was working the way it was before. I did a "Destructive" Recovery by mistake and lost the way it used to be and now does not work like it used to. I had it in for repair. My sound recorder does not work, my mic does not work nor Audacity to where I used to make movies and slide shows. Now I can't. I had so many things hooked up to it which are useless now. I gave up on that enjoyment. I knew where everything was and how to use them which is not anymore.

I just had to throw that in so you would know why I shake in my boots when it comes to doing updates and stuff I do not understand.
    If you want to stay on ICS, just stay on ICS! You may get a notification that an update is ready to install when you are connected to the Internet, but you can just cancel that.
    Nothing and nobody will force you to upgrade to Jelly Bean.

If you decide to do the upgrade to Jelly Bean, very little will change. Your home screen icons and everything in the app drawer will be the same.
    The most visible change in Jelly Bean will be a "notification panel" with some handy shortcuts to often used functions and where you get notifications about emails and such.

But if you are happy with ICS now, it'll probably serve you well for the life of the tablet.
    No reason to do an update, just because it's there....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    urlee likes this.
    TF700 on CROMBi-KK (JB 4.4) TF701 on CROMi-X 7.x (JB 4.4.2) HTC M8 on CleanROM 1.x (JB 4.4)

LINKS:
    Transformer Guides: Tips and Tricks

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1048 times
    Urlee, if you go to Settings and About Tablet it will give you the details of your device. Your operating system won't say Ice Cream (or Jelly Bean), it will be listed in About Tablet -- Android Version --> and a number.
    The number is your operating system, 4.1 being Jelly Bean....and I believe ICS is 4.something? Not sure on that, but neither version is listed by 'candy' reference.
    Jelly Bean looks the same, it's supposed to be smoother etc...have a few more features. You wouldn't be shocked/miffed or wondering 'what happened to...' if you installed it.
    Camera works the same, screens look the same, things are in the same place etc.
    As droidbound said, you can put off the update...but really it's nothing to get too concerned over. The apps you have installed will still work & you won't lose them.
    urlee likes this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    THANK you both for the GREAT explanations here!
    I spent a good amount of time yesterday on reading what was recommended to me here and came across some VERY helpful info along with questions answered that I had asked here too. Can never have too much info. (smiles)

One question I have is the VOL Down the Volume button on top of unit? I have read where it stated VOL Down and another said VOL UP? OR do I just press on that button?
    Do I press on that button first, then the power button to hold both?

Do I Download Adobe Flash Player? I do not see it on my Tablet. If so, when do I do that? Before or after all the updates and "Cold Boots"? Then Cold Boot again?

Do downloads get stored on the Internal storage then installed from there if not automatically? I am going to read again to be able to "sink in"!

THANKS again all. I appreciate and value all you have replied here!
    Little by little I am getting closer to taking the big step going online to update etc.

I have to write the steps down in order, to take with me, to follow what to do when I first turn that miracle machine ON Online.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2258 times
    Hi Urlee

VOLUME
    The volume key is on the top of the Infinity I believe - pressing one end of the "rocker" switch turns the volume UP, pressing the other end turns the volume down. Try it out and ensure you know which end is which. Then, when you see "Vol. down" or "Vol. up" in an instruction it refers to the particular end of the volume switch.

BUTTON COMBINATIONS
    When you are told in a guide to press "power & vol down" (as an example) it means do both at the same time.

FLASH PLAYER
    You download this as a seperate file (filename.apk) from the Adobe website - if you read the relevant guide in my signature it gives you the link and clear instructions on how to install it. My advice would be to update your firmware to Jelly Bean (4.1.1) first, then Factory Reset, and then download & install Flash Player.

DOWNLOADS
    Firmware downloading & installing is a completely automated process. First the new firmware is downloaded to your tablet. Then you tap the notification area (next to the clock, bottom right) and a notification pops up which you tap to install the updated firmware for your tablet. That process is completely automated as well.

When that process is finally complete - depending n the speed of your connection, the firmware download will take perhaps 10-15 minutes and the installation will taken another 5-10 minutes, then your tablet is ready for use again.

I do recommend that you follow the "how to update" link I gave you in post # 20. I would print it out (the first post of the guide, that is) & take it with you if you can.

All the best
    urlee likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Ads