Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1051 times
    Welcome urlee...
    You'll learn your way around your new gear in no time with that attitude. Goodonya!
    urlee likes this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    48 times
    A tablet without internet access is almost useless. The main use of a tablet is to connect to the internet. I suggest you look into getting internet access at home. Also, the GPS function requires internet access in your car to be of much value because it needs to download maps as you drive along. You can download them in advance, but that is a pain. It would be much easier to purchase a standalone GPS for your car that comes with maps installed. What cell phone service do you have? If you have a smartphone with a data plan, you can use it to tether your tablet and connect to the internet that way. However, you have to be very careful because you'll burn through a lot of data and run up a hugh cell phone bill if your data plan is not adaquate.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Urlee,

Your App Drawer is accessed by tapping the collection of little boxes in the top right hand corner of the screen.
    One of the links in my signature covers Android Guides - perhaps one of the most important liks to click on as it has a number of guides (including video guides) some of which, while referring to older versions of Android, will give you a great overview of the Operating System on your new device.
    Good to have another keen member on board.
    Thank you and for verifying that for me (App Drawer) and of the link in your sig for me to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale
    Also, tap your clock lower right corner, there is a bar with a bunch of icons, you can use your finger to drag it left and right, the last one on the right is the gps, make sure it is lit up, that means it is on. You will already have Maps in your app drawer. Click on it and see if it finds you!
    Let us know when you've tried it and we will see if it is working ok.
    Thank you. I did that and when I clicked on Maps, this is what came up: Network Failure-This application requires a working data connection.

I went to Settings and found this in Apps: 1 process and 1 Service. Network Location Service/This service was started by it's App. Stopping it may cause the App to fail. MAPS----Main Process in use.
    My being able to even find that made me feel proud!
    Last edited by urlee; 02-12-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    46 times
    Approx. how long does it take to update the new out of the box Tablet? (wireless of course)
    Last edited by urlee; 02-14-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/urlee/acea6e3d.gif

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    470 times
    Hard to say, the download took place in the background while I was doing other stuff. I wouldn't think it takes that long.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by urlee View Post
    Approx. how long does it take to update the new out of the box Tablet? (wireless of course)
    Depends on the speed of the connection, clearly, but sub 2mbs you are looking at 10-15 minutes or so.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1046 times
    My last two firmware updates ( Operating System Updates) took about 20 minutes. It varies a bit as it depends on how many apps you have installed. Asus recommends you have a good battery charge ( I think 40% or more) just to be safe.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    58 times
    I found the easiest way is to download the firmware update ROM from ASUS support, unzip it and then copy the main ZIP file in the folder to the root directory of the tablet or to a microSDHC card.

Since my desktop computer is just a few feet away, I do it this way. It's a faster download and more accurate and convenient for me.
    urlee likes this.
    I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
    ~Robert A. Heinlein~

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    46 times
    THANK you all for your replies here.
    I am sweating this out as I am so frightened to go online to update what should be done.
    I read and read and still am not understanding the steps etc. and am frightened to do so as I am great at screwing up.

1. If anything, can JB be downloaded and not installed at the time? Or does it automatically install at the time I go online?
    2. What am I backing up when it says to backup? Just newly added stuff (as I only monkeyed with the camera and super notes) or what came with the tablet?

I see words like Wipe Data, zip file, your SKU, MOD, back up your existing ROM, which is scaring me from ever doing it as I wouldn't know what to do with them or how? I think the more I read, the more I get confused and even thought of just going to the Library where I would have wireless access and turn on my tablet and see what happens hoping I can at least use the camera if I wreck it.

I was planning on ordering an SD card for backup first if needed?
    I told you I am very dense when trying to understand and figure out such complicated ventures but have, in time, done so but not without a struggle.
    I thought I retired from such new high tech inventions out there because of that but now look what I went and done?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2274 times
    Hi Urlee,

The only things you will be backing up are things that you cannot get back again - any photos or videos you have taken on the tablet. Any documents you have created. Things of that type. All your apps from the Play Store can just be downloaded again as can anything else you have downloaded to your TF.

Given your newness to this sort of thing, my advice is to ignore all the advice about "flashing" "backing up your ROM" etc and simply follow this guide - as your TF will likely be updating to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from Android 4.0 ICS, then follow the section about updates that include an OS update. If, having read that section you still feel confused or too nervous, then just follow the first section for incremental updates. 99 times out of 100 that will be fine - especially in your case as you do not have lots of new apps loaded.

Don't panic - it is a very simple process and the guide explains it in easy to follow steps. (OTA= over the air, ie via a wifi connection) It had to - I wrote it for me

[GUIDE] How to update your firmware OTA - incremental changes & full OS updates.
    Last edited by janner43; 02-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Ads