Thread: TF700 charges from dock but not wall charger

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

TF700 charges from dock but not wall charger

My month-old Transformer will now only charge off the dock, but won't charge off the wall charger.

The wall charger WILL, however, charge the dock. So I'm not completely out to sea here, but it would be nice to just directly charge the tablet without docking it.

I've read and tried some of Frederuco's suggestions (all excellent, by the way), including putting the charger in the freezer, but with no luck. The charger brick is a solid 1-piece; that is, only the USB cable detaches. The prongs that go into the outlet are attached and do not fold.

I'm gonna try tech-support next and will post the results, but wondered if anyone here had suggestions.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1621 times
    The charger is a 2 part system that comes in one part with some Transformers but it's hard to tell it will come apart. I would think the problem is with the charging port on the tablet, not the charger, but that's still pretty strange.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by commanche1 View Post
    My month-old Transformer will now only charge off the dock, but won't charge off the wall charger.

The wall charger WILL, however, charge the dock. So I'm not completely out to sea here, but it would be nice to just directly charge the tablet without docking it.

I've read and tried some of Frederuco's suggestions (all excellent, by the way), including putting the charger in the freezer, but with no luck. The charger brick is a solid 1-piece; that is, only the USB cable detaches. The prongs that go into the outlet are attached and do not fold.

I'm gonna try tech-support next and will post the results, but wondered if anyone here had suggestions.

Thanks!
    I have no help for you but just want to say that I have the same problem on my TF300T.
    I too will be getting in touch with a tech tomorrow.
    If you get some results with them, could you post them as soon as possible, please. I will do the same if i get any good results.

I still think and say it has something to do with the jellybean update.
    I'm in Canada, if that has anything to do with the problem. Maybe there are others in Canada that are getting this problem or is it a North American problem?????

Fab

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2273 times
    I have deleted the first copy of your help request - one thread is enough & this one has replies
    commanche1 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll have to wait until I'm back from vacation to contact Asus, but will update. Probably the port, but I've wondered about some software issue too. Otherwise why would thre be such a difference, on a hardware level, charging from the wall charger or from the dock? Maybe some miniscule voltage difference, but...

And thanks, janner43. I had some noob trouble there
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by commanche1 View Post
    I'll have to wait until I'm back from vacation to contact Asus, but will update. Probably the port, but I've wondered about some software issue too. Otherwise why would thre be such a difference, on a hardware level, charging from the wall charger or from the dock? Maybe some miniscule voltage difference, but...

And thanks, janner43. I had some noob trouble there
    I am having the same problem. The 700T will not charge directly from the AC charger, however, it will charge just fine from the keyboard dock while the AC charger is plugged in. It also will charge just fine from the keyboard dock when not plugged in to the AC charger when the 700T is down to about 70% charge. I just cannot charge the 700T with the AC charger plugged directly into the 700T.

I contacted Asus and they want me to RMA the 700t back to them. Other than the charging problem, my 700T works perfectly with no problems what so ever. I have not decided whether to RMA back or just live with it.

Has anybody sent theirs back to fix this problem and was it successful?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2273 times
    Send it back comptime - if your tf700 is not behaving properly then it has a hardware fault which will get worse over time and will end up leaving you with a very expensive doorstop.

Either a connection "sub board" or maybe even the main board likely has a faulty component or circuit & these things do not fix themselves. Document your device thoroughly prior to sending it back (photos of all sides & faces), back up to some local storage & then Factory Reset to protect your privacy. Tell Asus you have documented the condition of the device prior to return & they will be careful with it. The only issue anyone ever reports here about their returns is that sometimes their device comes back marked or scratched. If that happens & you can prove the condition it was in prior to return, then you can get it fixed again.

Thoroughly check your device for condition & full functionality upon return & immediately report back to Asus if anything is less than perfect.

It may sound scary, but it is just common sense & self protection - or to put it in Latin "caveat emptor" (buyer beware)

Hope that helps.
    comptime likes this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times

Re: TF700 charges from dock but not wall charger

Hey all.
    I have some news on this charging issue with my TF300T. Yesterday was a weird day for me. I fell asleep not log after supper around 19:30 I woke up around 21:00 for about 15 minutes or so and because this charging issue is on my mind i decided to do a test. I disconnected the tablet from the charging dock and plugged the charging/data cable directly to the tablet. I then proceeded to turn the tablet off. I then looked to see if the led by the power button came on and no it did not. The tablets charge was at 53% according the the battery widget. I then fell asleep again...lol, I had a busy afternoon and a big meal, so the two together brought on a fatigue that caused my eyes to shut...Any way. I awoke again around midnight and grabbed my tablet and turned it on and lo and behold it had charged. It was now up to 72%...I shoulda taken a couple of screen shots but this tiredness was causing me not to think at normal capacity...lol. So I am now thinking this charging problem is a software problem and not a hardware problem. I am starting to think that the possibility of installing Flash Player may/might have something to do with this charging trouble.

(Question: Does anyone know charging times? Meaning if it's plugged in for an hour, what percentage of charge should one see??

So let do the math for my situation last night. I awoke at 9, stayed awake for apprx. 15min, lets say I fell asleep again at 9:15 and woke up again at 12 midnight = 2.75 hrs of charging apprx. A gain of apprx.20% charge. Is that normal or close to normal? Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know...)

I know or at least I think I remember when my tablet was updated to Jellybean that I had to reinstall flash but I can't say for sure and I don't remember if I had tried to just charge the tablet alone BUT I do definitely remember charging the tablet by itself before the upgrade to Jellybean and it was charging and showing it was charging in the battery widget.

So my next test will be to do a factory reset and not install Flash. They do tell us that Flash is not supported so maybe, just maybe that may be the problem.
    I am having too much fun though and I don't want to do the reset at this moment. Maybe at the end of the month I'll give it a try. Maybe, from now until the end of the month someone else may give this a try before me.

So I guess my advice for those with the tablet charging problem is to do as I did and see if your tablet charges up.

Well I hope this helps a bit.

Fab

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2273 times
    @Fabforce - in the Master Help Guide linked from my signature is a guide all about the who's, where's, why's & whatever's of charging & batteries on the TF range. Take a read there & you will be surprised at what is covered also the answer to your in post questions, too.

One thing, I would greatly doubt that Flash Player is at fault. Read through the guide thread and post back there if you can't find the answers to any subsidiary questions you might have, if you would be so kind. That way this quite specific thread won't go off topic & start dealing with lots of varied situations. (No offence intended)

Thanks for posting & I think the guide thread will resolve things for you.

Added by edit...
    If you are using Tapatalk, you'll need to visit this thread in a browser to see the signature links.
    Last edited by janner43; 02-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Send it back comptime - if your tf700 is not behaving properly then it has a hardware fault which will get worse over time and will end up leaving you with a very expensive doorstop.

Either a connection "sub board" or maybe even the main board likely has a faulty component or circuit & these things do not fix themselves. Document your device thoroughly prior to sending it back (photos of all sides & faces), back up to some local storage & then Factory Reset to protect your privacy. Tell Asus you have documented the condition of the device prior to return & they will be careful with it. The only issue anyone ever reports here about their returns is that sometimes their device comes back marked or scratched. If that happens & you can prove the condition it was in prior to return, then you can get it fixed again.

Thoroughly check your device for condition & full functionality upon return & immediately report back to Asus if anything is less than perfect.

It may sound scary, but it is just common sense & self protection - or to put it in Latin "caveat emptor" (buyer beware)

Hope that helps.
    Thank you Janner43, that is great advice on documenting the condition of my tablet before sending it back. My tablet is in same as new condition having been always in a case and handled very carefully. I have the original box it came in so I will put the tablet in its box and then re-box to send it back. Hopefully they will do the same on the return. Your post was very helpful, thank you.
    janner43 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads