Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrumm49

Thread: Backup to Micro SD Card and Formating?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Backup to Micro SD Card and Formating?

Plan to update to JB soon but wish to backup apps, etc to Micro SD Card first. Do I have to format the card first and if so, how do you do so and in what format? Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    I formatted my micros to NTFS with no problems. To backup your apps use App Backup (already in your app drawer) where you can choose your micro card to store the back-ups. If you have a lot of apps it may take a couple rounds to get all the apps/data backed up, since app backup can only do so many gigs at a time. (Can't remember the number but it lets you know.)

Remove all your storage cards once you update to JB. This is now the best time to do a Factory Reset after this major update. Even though you have backed up everything (hope you didn't forget your movies, music and pics too), IMO it is best to slowly reinstall your apps fresh again from the Play Store and Amazon. If you use your same accounts they will be there waiting. I only use app backup for more of an emergency if something doesn't show up at the Play Store.

Yes App-backup can be used to immediately reinstall all your apps; but if you were having any type of less than stellar performance before you did the backup, it will probably return because of a rogue app. But if there were no issues, app backup can get your stuff reinstalled pretty quickly again. But for me, reinstalling apps fresh from the two stores has worked the best in keeping my Infinity running very smooth and fast after the JB update.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    I formatted my micros to NTFS with no problems. To backup your apps use App Backup (already in your app drawer) where you can choose your micro card to store the back-ups. If you have a lot of apps it may take a couple rounds to get all the apps/data backed up, since app backup can only do so many gigs at a time. (Can't remember the number but it lets you know.)

Remove all your storage cards once you update to JB. This is now the best time to do a Factory Reset after this major update. Even though you have backed up everything (hope you didn't forget your movies, music and pics too), IMO it is best to slowly reinstall your apps fresh again from the Play Store and Amazon. If you use your same accounts they will be there waiting. I only use app backup for more of an emergency if something doesn't show up at the Play Store.

Yes App-backup can be used to immediately reinstall all your apps; but if you were having any type of less than stellar performance before you did the backup, it will probably return because of a rogue app. But if there were no issues, app backup can get your stuff reinstalled pretty quickly again. But for me, reinstalling apps fresh from the two stores has worked the best in keeping my Infinity running very smooth and fast after the JB update.
    a few months back i exchanged my prime for the infinity. i had around 160 apps but even though i had the app for backups, actually two of them, i never once used them. everything from the google store as well as my books from amazon all came back automatically. which is why i ask what is the purpose for the app backup if everything you have every downloaded free or paid comes back? i can understand selecting and using the backup data only but the apps? just for future reference is their something i missed along the way? thanks
    Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does. -Douglas Adams-

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    @mikenz, personally I like to back up my apps because I don't always care for an update. You know, sometimes the updates are buggy or they change a feature that I really like. Then I have the older version of the app to go back to if I want to.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenzinbfe View Post
    everything from the google store as well as my books from amazon all came back automatically. which is why i ask what is the purpose for the app backup if everything you have every downloaded free or paid comes back?
    True, when you are dealing with the Play Store and Amazon your apps are there waiting. But I got a few 'paid' apps from Get Jar that were free at the time. Now those particular apps are no longer being offered or there is a fee for them now. Since I backed them all on App Backup I have been able to reinstall them.

There are other legitimate App stores for android besides the Play Store and Amazon. And these stores may have apps not found in the 2 major app stores. And if you forget which store a certain app came from or it isn't available anymore, App Backup sure comes in handy.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links