Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Losing my patience with TF700T

Hi all,

I eagerly bought a TF700 this summer after debating between Android and iPad. With the build specs and the constantly updating OS I figured the Asus was the right way to go.

However, since getting it, it has not lived up to my performance expectations whatsoever. I'm new to tablets, but I don't think they should be laggy or slow out of the box. My issues are as follows:

-Browser (built in) is very slow. Pages load slow; the system often hangs for 5-10 seconds while a new page loads; streaming video is a nightmare (streaming soccer on a Flash page via 'request desktop site', the video constantly freezes and refreshes but the sound is fine). Browser frequently quits/crashes. Dolphin is just as unstable; Chrome doesn't have Flash so it doesn't work for me. (My home internet connection is very good FYI and has never been a problem wirelessly)

-Watching videos (namely animated with subtitles) there are significant artifacts with HW rendering; SW rendering has perfect quality but causes the sound to not match the video. MX Player, BS Player, built-in player, all have similar problems. Downloaded arm7 codecs but it didn't seem to help much.

-When typing in forms, the keys often lag behind my actual typing. In fact in most applications, the keyboard input is slow and occassionally misses a letter (I type pretty quickly, but not THAT quickly lol)

I have done cold resets, tried various apps, tried to close everything via the 'recent apps' list, but little seems to work. Only thing I can think of now is a full factory reset, or installing a new OS. I don't have much on the harddrive but the inconvenience is obviously not ideal.

Please help me get some value out of this thing before I throw it out the window and jump ship to Apple...!

TF700T on android version 4.1.1; wifi V7.0.2.62.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    This is a tablet, not a laptop. Maybe you need to switch to a computer. I love my Asus TF700 and have no problems with it.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Welcome Justin...you've pretty much tried the stuff I would've suggested.
    (ie. cold boot--another browser/vid player±codecs)
    Only thing left is a factory reset....or 3 in a row--don't ask me why 3 is the magic number,
    for some reason it just seems to do the trick.

Have a read thru the.updating to Jelly Bean Guide and just skip the parts that don't apply to you. cheers

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    Justin, all I can do is welcome you to the forum, and say that I agree with both of my previous posters. First, JimGFitzgerald is right, these tablets are just not as fast as a laptop or desktop. I have a TF101, and use it for browsing only when my desktop is not handy, or I'm in absolutely in no rush. For generally getting the kinks out of the OS, Eejits recommendation of a factory reset is the ticket! If you do it, try doing it by the book, following the last link in my signature...yes, it's that magic 3-in-a-row resets! Anyway...
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Same same

Same problem here... I am loosing patience with my TF700. It is slow and unstable.

When it's working, it works very well. But surfing the internet is a pain in the a... Every 2-3 page-loads will freeze the browser for 5-10 seconds before a window pops up asking if I want to 'wait' or 'close' the non-responding app. At that time the browser has recovered and I can continue after pressing 'wait'.

I have performed a factory-reset (3 in a row) and the problem persists even before I install a single 3rd-party program from Google Play.

Just a week or two before the Jelly Bean release, a firmware update fixed the problem - only to come back with the Jelly Bean update.

The browser is very fast if I switch off javascript... but this is required for most interactive webpages today.... but I suspect a solution could be found somewhere in the javascript engine.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pytagoras View Post
    Same problem here... I am loosing patience with my TF700. It is slow and unstable.

When it's working, it works very well. But surfing the internet is a pain in the a... Every 2-3 page-loads will freeze the browser for 5-10 seconds before a window pops up asking if I want to 'wait' or 'close' the non-responding app. At that time the browser has recovered and I can continue after pressing 'wait'.

I have performed a factory-reset (3 in a row) and the problem persists even before I install a single 3rd-party program from Google Play.

Just a week or two before the Jelly Bean release, a firmware update fixed the problem - only to come back with the Jelly Bean update.

The browser is very fast if I switch off javascript... but this is required for most interactive webpages today.... but I suspect a solution could be found somewhere in the javascript engine.
    Pythagoras, have you tried some other browsers? I'm using Boat Browser at the moment!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the tip. Boat Browser seems to have a smoother user experience.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I felt the same way. Jellybean never lived up to the hype of performance for the TF700 the way it did for the Galaxy Nexus. I found the best way to max its performance was to unlock, root and throw cleanrom on it. I also use Dolphin browser, which is night and day. Where the stock browser would crash 3-4 times whenever I surfed the net, dolphin has crashed a total of once since I started using it last month.

I know rooting is scary for those who have never done it and we really shouldn't have to do it to fix these kind of problems, but every since I made the jump my experience with this device has been one of pure joy.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    And the third moderator who posts here does so to move this thread from tf101 help to tf700 help...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    I understand your frustrations. I was having a lot of issues and they are all gone now. The only time I have ever had video (non streaming) issues is with something I downloaded that must not have been a format that the TF liked. I was having really bad random reboot issues and browser slowness/crashing. Here are the things I've done since my issues have went away.

1. Updated to the latest firmware. Not sure if it fixed anything as it came out the same time I made the below changes.
    2. Stopped using the default Browser. If you have to use it, disable the "Always Request Desktop Site". I got a significant boost when I started only requesting desktop when I needed to (This site...)
    3. I use chrome now. It took a little to get used to even though I used it on my PC, but it does seem to run faster and more stable.
    4. IF you must use flash, Dolphin 8.5 seems to work the best for me. You'll have to side load the .apk.
    5. If you haven't had any random reboots, give it a reboot every now and then to clean out the memory.
    (Edit) 6. It seems that no matter what browser I use, the XDA site crashes the browser, even reboots me a lot. Was really frustrating since a lot of fixes lead you there. I avoid XDA on my TF now all-together and use a PC or my phone. Has anyone else seen that? (End Edit)

After I started doing all of this my TF700 runs very fast and stable. I haven't had a reboot since, probably about 3 weeks. Also, do keep in mind that Adobe stopped supporting flash on Android for a reason. It's just buggy and doesn't run well with the mobile OSs. When I do use it, my TF does start slowing a bit until I reboot. I have also NEVER been able to watch video in the browser via the TV networks or Amazon, so it seems like you get better results with it than I ever did.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bille2021; 11-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links