Thread: TF700 Random Reboot

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times

TF700 Random Reboot

So here we are again, another post about random reboots...Sorry guys!

I have had my TF700 for about 6 months now and updated to JB the day the US got it. This is my 3rd Asus Tablet, 101 and 201 before, and I have always had random reboot issues. I am only posting now because its getting more frequent, about once a day now. I have gone through all of the recommended steps like factory resets, installing apps one at a time, always going to the home screen before sleeping, and leaving the SD card ejected until I need it, even running stock install with no additional apps for a couple of weeks. I always continue to have random reboots. I also started to disable some of the Asus bloatware and no help there. Usually if I do a factory wipe, it starts out at once or twice a week, then grows more often as time goes on, until I get to about once a day. I have read about every post on the internet and have never found a definitive answer. If it takes unlocking (even possible with JB?) and getting a custom ROM, I'm game.

So I was hoping if you have random reboot issues you could post how you fixed it or what you have tried with no relief.

Does anyone know if other tablets, like the Samsung Tab line has these type of issues? This question is 2 fold, I want to know where to look when my TF700 goes out, and I'm about to switch form the iPhone to a GS III and I want to know if this is an Android wide issue. I'm the opposite of an Apple fanboy, but I do have a house full of iPhones and iPads and I Know none of them EVER have these issues.

Thanks for any help you have!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    918 times
    Do you unmount the SD or USB external storage prior to turning off, sleep mode or disconnecting the tablet??
    Do you close down all apps before turning it off or putting it in sleep mode?
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    DrMightySnake likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2099 times
    As Swipe says, leaving SD cards in the dock has been known to cause this, as has turning the screen off with a running app showing (ie not tapping the home icon prior to turning the screen off)

Happily though, random reboots, while not completely an Asus "feature" are not anything like as prevalent on other Android devices - and as you can see from my signature, I've handled more than one or two it certainly is not an integral part of Android "per se".

The only Android device that suffers from random reboots that I have ever had is the tf101. I can make the Lenovo A1 reboot - but that never happens any more because we charge it with the wifi toggled OFF. Charging with wifi on causes the device to reboot the next time you turn it on. It's a known bug with that model, but at least there is a 100% & straightforward workaround as I have described. My son once had a budget Android phone - the Orange San Francisco - that suffered from an occasional reboot issue, but he has had 2 other handsets that have been rock solid. One HTC, one Sony.

I have a theory about the TF reboots - but it is pure conjecture. It goes like this...
    1. Asus design a new tablet with dock & get the launch OS version nice & stable
    2. Incremental updates are released to improve the device, very nice
    3. A new version of Android is released & Asus are the quickest folks on the market to release it, but the trouble is that every time they do this & on every Android device in the TF series random reboots start to manifest. The worst has been on the tf101, but to some extent it has occurred on every model, some more than others.

I think it is down to the clever coding that Asus have developed that makes the demountable dock such a part of the product range. It is almost as if they can develop the launch firmware so it's pretty rock solid, but as soon as a new version of Android is released it causes problems.

It really is a mystery to be honest & I have yet to see one definitive answer as to why.

I don't know what to recommend to you. If you need the dock & like the form factor of a transform able device, then really you are just going to have to be patient and accept it as part of life's "rich tapestry"

The really strange thing is that the issue only affects a relatively small percentage of devices (less than 1 in 5) - not all of them, so I can understand the difficulty that Asus have tracking it down to be honest.

This thread, while not about the tf700, is nice and informative - a good post fromzAlbee on the subject with some useful reference links...

TF201 rebooting frequently
    Last edited by janner43; 11-01-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added link...
    Bille2021 and DrMightySnake like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Do you unmount the SD or USB external storage prior to turning off, sleep mode or disconnecting the tablet??
    Do you close down all apps before turning it off or putting it in sleep mode?
    Thanks for the reply. No I don't manually unmount or manually swipe all of the apps closed before sleep. I will eject and bring the home screen though. Honestly, I use the tablet on and off all day. If I had to manually close every app every time I wanted to put it to sleep, I'd be at best buy with a broken screen under my accidental damage warranty looking at a different product all together. Maybe I'll give that a try for a couple of days. If that really is it, then I will get rid of it, even though I'v come to love it so much. Not sure anyone should be willing to put up with that kind of maintenance every time you put the tablet down.

Not something I had thought of though, thanks!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Lots of good info Jan, thanks!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post
    Lots of good info Jan, thanks!
    Just to be clear, you wouldn't need to "swipe" the apps from the list, just don't leave any open. A browser, for instance, that is open may want to attempt as refresh of the page which could be an issue. The list you referred to is really just most recently used app, many of which are not actually running.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    918 times
    Just to clarify : When I said unmount I meant press on the unmount icon in your notification area. It has a red x and you'll see a message "safely removed external storage" appear. This might be something to test to see if helps your reboot situation with cards installed... Don't physically remove them, try this first and report back.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2099 times
    And just to add a few final thoughts...

I think the un mounting of any storage device connected to the dock prior to undocking the tablet, should be a regular practise for anyone. Consider the OS in the tablet for a moment. One second it has access to storage - a USB drive or SD card - the next second it doesn't. If it thinks storage is present and tries to "sleep" properly, turning off access to the storage & that storage isn't present, it is likely to cause a problem.

And as Leeshor says, if a running app is left on the screen (especially one similar to a browser, making heavy use of wifi / Internet connectivity) it may also attempt to perform a function which, in turn, could cause an issue if the device is sleeping.

In the end, I got into the habit of tapping the home screen icon prior to turning off the screen. I think if you do that, all apps are then put into the background by the OS & it "knows where it stands", so to speak.

I have never owned a dock, but If I did, I would always demount (in the way Swipe says in post 7) prior to undocking. Not to do so, would IMO, be a recipe for corrupted data on any external storage that was connected to the dock. We have to remember that the dock is "dumb" - all the "brains" are in the tablet.

At the end of the day users still need to operate "good practises" and some things are not likely to ever change in regards to the correct removal of external mass storage.

Good luck, I hope you get more joy out of your infinity with these few "helpful hints".
    eejit and DrMightySnake like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Totally agree about the external storage being unmounted. I rarely use it anyway so I'll start unmounting it before I eject from now on. Totally misunderstood the closing apps. The OCD in me forces me to go to the home screen before I sleep, so I have been doing that.

I have disabled all of the apps that I had running continuously and stopped using the default browser, and things are running pretty smooth for the last day. The difference in things I've tried before is not using the default browser. Using chrome right now and the tablet seems to be running smoother. Something I hadn't considered before is that I have flash and always set the browser agent to desktop, that could be the issue,.

I'll give it a couple of days like this then start introducing my continuous running apps, like a sound app that increases the volume. Will take a bit to get used to chrome on the tablet, love it on the desktop, but feels a little clunky on the tablet, but if it helps stop the reboots, I'll get used to it.

Thank you all for the advice!!
    Swipe, DrMightySnake and janner43 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I just bought 2 of these and I'm getting random reboots just trying to do simple things like use teamviewer. My wife's rebooted while playing words with friends. Both are very basic stock setups updated with latest firmware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads