Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Infinity Pad/Dock doesn't seem to charge

Hi,

I got an Infinity yesterday from the USA (someone brought it back for me) and I live in the UK.

I used it for around 10 minutes to make sure it is all working okay and then I thought I would turn it off and let it do the initial 8 hour charge.

So I got a travel adaptor, plugged the ASUS AC adaptor that came with the tablet into that, and the USB cable into that and connected it to the dock with the tablet docked but none of the charging lights lit

So I tried it with just the dock and just tablet, still nothing. I then tried a shaver which I knew worked as I tested it in the bathroom, and it turns out that the shaver works in the bathroom but not in the travel adaptor, so it must be a faulty adaptor

So I thought I'd try to charge it with USB ... But still nothing. I find this very odd, tried just the tablet (it turns on when I plug it in, I turned it off and still nothing) and just the dock, no charging lights come on. The USB cable is working as my PC detects the tablet when it is on.

Anybody have any ideas why this isn't working? I assumed those travel adaptors worked but maybe the fuses are blown? I will check in the morning but that doesn't explain why the USB charging isn't working.

I have had the tablet plugged in while typing this (turned off) and still no charging light

Hope you can help and thanks in advance

EDIT: The tablet has been plugged into the USB for over 10 minutes now and still no charging light. Starting to panic now lol
    2nd EDIT: The battery on the tablet is at around 40% if that makes a difference and it did do a firmware (I think) update when I connected it to the PC
    Last edited by azibux1; 08-30-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Extra info

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    If you know of some one else that has the same model number of Transformer try their power supply on your tablet and tablet. That should tell you where the issue is. I would also check out the electrical side of things since the ac adapter is from the US not England.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlarson_mn View Post
    If you know of some one else that has the same model number of Transformer try their power supply on your tablet and tablet. That should tell you where the issue is. I would also check out the electrical side of things since the ac adapter is from the US not England.
    Thanks for the reply

I don't know of anyone that has this here.

It should work as other people in England and on this forum have done it.

The ASUS AC adaptor says input voltage: 100-240V so that should be fine

But I have established that my travel adaptors don't work. That is why (for now, until I buy another travel adaptor) I tried USB charging but that isn't working. That is what I don't understand

UPDATE: If I plug the USB cable from the PC into the dock, and dock the tablet and turn it on, the charging light on the dock flashes. But if I turn the tablet off like the manual says to do when charging via USB then the light stops flashing on the dock. Remember the dock battery is on 0%, see here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ng-tablet.html . There is no indication in the notification area that actually says anything is charging though.

I am going to sleep now, will leave the PC on with the tablet docked and connected with the cable to see if it charges. Dock battery is on 0% and tablet is on 44%

Please help!
    Last edited by azibux1; 08-30-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Update

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Hi again,

Please search the forum for threads before you start new ones. We get lots of duplicate threads, information gets lost & folks can't find the answers to questions.

If you had searched, or even just looked through the Master Help Guide linked from your welcome PM, you would have found
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...mer-range.html
    Which answers your dock charging tablet thread (now answered) & also explains how USB charging works. So, you will see that nothing has happened charging wise when you look as the docked combo will not charge from USB.

Your travel adapter is clearly faulty as you say. Replacing it will likely correct all your problems, but you could always try turning your charger through 180 degrees to plug it into your US to UK adapter as this has been known to correct polarity issues & the charger may then work.

In any case a functioning adapter is all that should be required.

Let us know how you get on...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi again,

Please search the forum for threads before you start new ones. We get lots of duplicate threads, information gets lost & folks can't find the answers to questions.

If you had searched, or even just looked through the Master Help Guide linked from your welcome PM, you would have found
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...mer-range.html
    Which answers your dock charging tablet thread (now answered) & also explains how USB charging works. So, you will see that nothing has happened charging wise when you look as the docked combo will not charge from USB.

Your travel adapter is clearly faulty as you say. Replacing it will likely correct all your problems, but you could always try turning your charger through 180 degrees to plug it into your US to UK adapter as this has been known to correct polarity issues & the charger may then work.

In any case a functioning adapter is all that should be required.

Let us know how you get on...
    Sorry about that, think I just panicked a bit and started a new thread. I did try to search before but I only came to a couple of threads about TF101's not charging after a firmware update and found out about some peoples not charging after the plug got too hot and had to put it in the freezer, no situations like mine though

You say the docked combo doesn't charge from USB, but I had the tablet plugged in, on its own, via USB for around half and hour and got no charging light. What was the issue there? I assumed the PC would be powerful enough to charge it slowly. Or is the issue with the hit and miss USB ICS charging?

I just tried what you said about turning it 180 degrees but that didn't work either.

I will try and get another travel adaptor today and see if I can get it charging with that

Thanks for your help and I will keep you updated (Y)
    Last edited by azibux1; 08-31-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Extra info

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Good luck on the travel adaptor; mind that some travel adaptors go to 1A max, while the ASUS adaptor needs 1.2A.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    No worries azibux1

You sounded worried - quite understandable

Your tf700 needs 15v to charge - your usb gives 5v & .5amps so will only trickle charge the tablet at around 2-3% per hour & your tablet probably needs to be turned off.

If your charger is assembled properly - it does need firm clicking together, your culprit is likely to be the adapter. I'm sure all will be fine with a new one. I've pointed others here... Travel Adaptor Plug: Worldwide / European Visitor To Uk: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Last edited by janner43; 08-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joepie View Post
    Good luck on the travel adaptor; mind that some travel adaptors go to 1A max, while the ASUS adaptor needs 1.2A.
    Thanks (Y) See below, it is now working

No worries azibux1

You sounded worried - quite understandable

Your tf700 needs 15v to charge - your usb gives 5v & .5amps so will only trickle charge the tablet at around 2-3% per hour & your tablet probably needs to be turned off.

If your charger is assembled properly - it does need firm clicking together, your culprit is likely to be the adapter. I'm sure all will be fine with a new one. I've pointed others here... Travel Adaptor Plug: Worldwide / European Visitor To Uk: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Not sure about the USB, I will try it another time ...

Ahaha I was worried lol, especially as it was from USA and not UK, was worried what I would have done if it was faulty

Luckilyyyyyyyy it was just the travel adaptor! (My ASUS adaptor came all as one piece by the way)

Took the ASUS AC Adaptor and my travel adaptor to a local electrical store and they said as it was only a travel adaptor suitable for shavers (had a 1 amp fuse inside that was blown) it wasn't suitable. So he gave me a 2 amp fuse, that fitted my travel adaptor and said it would be safe to use and would still blow and protect the tablet if anything goes wrong

All going well now then, should be done the 8 hour charge at 9PM

Thanks!!
    Last edited by azibux1; 08-31-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    janner43 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Great news. Very pleased for you...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Great news. Very pleased for you...
    Thanks!

I will be sure to search next time before I create any topics too lol

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links