Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Screen crack

Hi everyone,

I just bought the TF700, pretty hyped about its release. I got the keyboard dock too. Until today I was very satisfied with the product. While running dolphin web browser with many tabs I could feel it was pretty hot on the back around the top left area. I figured it's normal (probably is), but I wasn't doing anything important so I just put it in sleep mode and closed the dock. One hour later when I opened it I got a bit shocked. There was a crack in the top left corner, heading down into the display slightly below the asus logo, stretching all the way up to the camera at the top center. I don't know if it came without me touching it at all, or from when I lifted it with with my left hand, or when I closed it. All I know is that I've been careful with it and that it would be ridiculous for it to break like this. I've only been using it for about 10 days.

Anyone else had this problem? And is it covered by the warranty? I googled it and saw some other threads on this forum about other asus pads with similar issues. I bought it at a Fortress shop in Hong Kong, and the warranty was local without any upgrade choice. Now I'm home in Europe, and I won't be back there for another month.
    Last edited by alex7; 08-02-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    9 times
    Asus's official answer is always user induced damage, not covered under warranty. Unless you have been lucky enough to be in the US where some people have had it replaced.
    Generally all other parts of the world have had to grin and bare it.
    Depending on cost sometimes Beyond Economic Repair.
    Certainly here in Australia that appears to be the case.

Bill

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Bought an ASUS Laptop a few months ago (G74S). Cost me about $2500 US. The keyboard was slightly faulty, buttons weren't very responsive. Went to the support and they "repaired" it. Some buttons were more responsive, but some just turned out worse. In the end got it exchanged to a new one which had the same problem, just with different keys. Maybe it's time to start avoiding this brand

Thanks for the quick reply anyway

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    6 times
    Got squaretrade warranty for fear of this and my 17 month old. I Dont know if those are available outside the us.

Razma
    ASUS TF700T Infinity

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    9 times
    I have an N73 not quite as fast due to the slower graphics but perfectly acceptable to me.
    Being an older gamer.
    Besides a real gadget freak have a few Xbox360's as well.

Bill

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alex7 View Post
    Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Bought an ASUS Laptop a few months ago (G74S). Cost me about $2500 US. The keyboard was slightly faulty, buttons weren't very responsive. Went to the support and they "repaired" it. Some buttons were more responsive, but some just turned out worse. In the end got it exchanged to a new one which had the same problem, just with different keys. Maybe it's time to start avoiding this brand

Thanks for the quick reply anyway
    I have an ASUS laptop and my keyboard has the same quirks. My left shift key has had sticking problems from almost day 2, and my left trackpad button is intermittent. I bought a 2 year warranty with the laptop and replaced the charger. Never got the keyboard fixed before it was too late I figure that keyboard issues are an asus quirk. Definitely recommend extended warranty. When I get my infinity I am getting at least a 2 year warranty, if not longer. But because of my experience with my laptop keyboard, I am hesitant to purchase the Infinity dock when I can buy a bluetooth keyboard for much cheaper.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello. I have had a similar problem:

Device was in dock, I noticed crack only after opening the dock. I did not drop it or induce any mechanical damage, my first tablet so I treated it gently.

In my case the problem is caused by slightly loose glass on edges. There are 6 weak spots in total, they are roughly placed like this:

They can be noticed by tapping on the devices edge. In strong spots there's no sound, in weak spots there's an audible sound of glass hitting whatever is under it. These were present in the device since the day I bought it.

The exact reason for cracking (in my case) seems to be this: when closing the tablet on mobile dock, the pieces of rubber on mobile dock which are supposed to keep screen off from touching the keys are placed too far apart. It seems to create a lever, and if one's unlucky the loose glass will bend "the wrong way" (outside of the unit, not against the unit). In this case there's nothing to relieve the stress in the glass, and it simply cracks along where it's loose.

Indications to confirm this is the reason: crack goes through weak areas, the crack seems to bend normal across the more severe weakness spot (the one on the top is less severe than the ones on the left), the crack is only in top layer (which seems to be loose).

This is only my case, I can't say anything about the topic starter. I'm fairly certain about the mechanism in my case, though I might be wrong. If any of the forumers could help me, it would be appreciated.

ASUS denies warranty, they returned it with saying "warranty denied, damage present in the touch-screen".

Question: does anyone have any video, pictures, or information on how to disassemble glass? Preferably a schematic of glass layers/structure of the protective glass. I can still repair my crack if I could be 100% sure that the glass has the protective film between it and the screen underneath, etc.

P.S. It's hard to notice the glass is loose. If you're holding device in your hands, you're gonna be lucky if you notice it right away. Maybe this is normal? I can't believe something like this would be normal, so I'm just gonna ask everyone to check the device glass fitting thoroughly if they buy it. Unless this loose glass is something normal, my advice is don't come anywhere close to the device if it has at least 1-2 of such weak spots.
    Last edited by BlackPhoenix; 08-16-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    If you are in the UK and have your screen crack BEWARE ( As mine did after 6 weeks of careful use )......ASUS will have it sent to their Repair Facility in CZECH REPUBLIC by DHL Air Express and you have to pay the transport costs there and back plus the repair costs. They won't let you have your Tablet back unless you pay all of this. They also ensure you pay by Bank Transfer and don't fix your Tablet until they receive the money. Mine recently cost me 160 doing it this way........Customer Service and Warranty...FORGET IT, non existent.
    JUST WAIT UNTIL BBC WATCHDOG STARTS AGAIN........!!!!!
    angelwithnowings1 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    My TF700 has got the same crack as pictured above. I closed the tablet/dock combo gently and it cracked. It's now on it's way to Asus. They better fix this, it's clearly a design or construction fault.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times

Re: Screen crack

Which dock do you have - the only labeled specifically for the TF201 or the one labeled to be compatible with both the TF201/TF700?

I can see it now - Asus will try saying that they told you that the TF201 dock was incompatible with the TF700 (not that I agree with that, but I can see them using that as an excuse)!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links