Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Screen crack

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    Good thinking on your part Caldera...no sense risking it if you don't have to. My Dock is packed away in its Box and will not be used EVER again.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    What makes me quite cross is being forced to buy the dock in the first place. It adds 100 to the cost & clearly neither of you two guys want or need it. May as well buy the Samsung for 250 !!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    In hindsight ( That wonderful feeling ) I would not have bought the Dock if I had been given a choice. I am CONVINCED it was the Dock that caused my problems. my TF300 cost 399 to purchase and another 134 to get it repaired. Total 533............how much are iPads? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....ASUS don't want to know any problems...and why it has to go to the CZECH REPUBLIC for repair is anyone's guess..!! Now I am being cynical.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    What makes me quite cross is being forced to buy the dock in the first place. It adds 100 to the cost
    I know, it`s cr@p Janner ... I`ll just keep it & sell it with the pad when the time comes ....
    "Everyone in favour of Telekinesis ... raise my right hand"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't know you guys, maybe we have different use-cases, but the dock was one of the primary reasons I bought the Infinity... SD-card reader, extra battery, usb, full keyb, etc. I love the dock, but if I can not transport it or touch it when they are connected, it sort of takes the fun out of it... Just my 2 cents.
    Android history
    -Nexus One (CM7) -Galaxy Tab (CM9) -Galaxy Note (CM9) -Asus Infinity (Stock - Unrooted)
    -Infinitec PocketTV (Ordered) -OUYA (Ordered)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    Yes 857..I agree with you......................however I am only relating what happened to me. There is "something" with the Dock that on some Tablets causes problems, some don't have any problems at all ( the lucky ones ). I still think that the concept of the Dock is a fantastic idea...just wish I could have faith enough to connect my Tablet to it.......I don't have any faith in it and therefore the Tablet and Dock will NEVER again meet. One point I make is if you open it up when attached to the Dock...there isn't a recess in the Tablet/Dock to gain leverage...the easiest thing to do is open it by the corner.........................Hmmmmmmm DON'T DO THAT.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDROP252 View Post
    Yes 857..I agree with you......................however I am only relating what happened to me. There is "something" with the Dock that on some Tablets causes problems, some don't have any problems at all ( the lucky ones ). I still think that the concept of the Dock is a fantastic idea...just wish I could have faith enough to connect my Tablet to it.......I don't have any faith in it and therefore the Tablet and Dock will NEVER again meet. One point I make is if you open it up when attached to the Dock...there isn't a recess in the Tablet/Dock to gain leverage...the easiest thing to do is open it by the corner.........................Hmmmmmmm DON'T DO THAT.
    I concur. The thought of the dock is tempting, but just not worth the risk of damage. Plus, having a laptop for "bigger projects" is quite handy.
    ^ ^ This post was probably sent from my Infinity ^ ^

Phone - Nexus S
    Tablet - TF700 Grey 32gb
    Laptop - Asus 15.6" Core i7

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 857 View Post
    I don't know you guys, maybe we have different use-cases, but the dock was one of the primary reasons I bought the Infinity... SD-card reader, extra battery, usb, full keyb, etc. I love the dock, but if I can not transport it or touch it when they are connected, it sort of takes the fun out of it... Just my 2 cents.
    857: Same here. I bought the Infinity over other tablets primarily for the versatility and features of the dock. Last week I woke up to a full diagonal crack in the screen. Based on extensive reading on forums it would seem that the screen cracks are caused by either:

1. Flexing the glass when opening and closing the dock. Since the hinge is such a small surface area, when opening and closing the dock there is a huge stress put on several portions of the glass screen.

2. Flexing the glass when the dock is closed. Mostly due to the placement of the rubber spacers/cushions which allow the screen to flex in the spaces between them.

At least my Squaretrade warranty with drop and handling coverage is covering it. I strongly recomend all Infinity owners to purchase this warranty.

Going forward, I will always carry the tablet and dock separately and open/close it carefully. Takes the fun out of it though.

UPDATE: Squaretrade is fully covering the damage and is reimbursing me $499.99 via Paypal. See my post later in this thread for more details.
    Last edited by syeb; 09-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
    Hi,

I recently got an Infinity, yesterday, and was wondering.

Even though my HTC One X has gorilla glass I still got a screen protector for it, and I want one for my Infinity too.

Was just curious and thought could the screen cracking issue be caused by using a screen protector and it causing excess pressure than it is designed for when in the dock? The gap does look quite tight but at the same time screen protectors are VERY thin.

I really want to get a screen protector but definitely want to avoid it if the two things are linked.

What are you views?

I'm guessing it should be safe, and these screen crack issues are very very rare and unrelated?
    While Gorilla Glass is the gold standard for our devices the edges of the glass will always be the weakest point. The screen protectors will help with scratches and to some degree reduce damage from glancing blows and dust particles. But in the end the edges will still be vulnerable. The thickness of the tablet and the fact that you use the corners to open it when it is in the dock, for me is suspect. I say its definitely a manufacturer defect that will have to be addressed. Hopefully Asus decides to be proactive rather than be reactive and do a duck and roll - lets see how long we can go before we pony up some $$$$. I see a possible class action suit and would not be surprised if you starting seeing new versions being put out.

If you missed this article, on Gorilla Glass, at XDA here is the link to below:

Truth About Gorilla Glass – Drops, Tests, Composition – XDA Developer TV – xda-developers

ALL HAIL NEGATRON!!!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not so sure if my dock is the problem; sure hope not as the tf700 spends most of its time docked. Maybe we should have a poll to see whether it is a common problem. I'm sure I will make a different sound if it happens to me, but until now I haven't had problems. Maybe it's just the joint of the dock that has to be broken in so there is less friction to open??? (I hope)
    Last edited by joepie; 09-04-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Ads