Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

[ SOLVED ] It won't charge!

Hello all!

I've managed to get a Transformer Infinity through the German Amazon as it's not released here in the UK until 31st August. Unfortunately, it won't charge.
    I've got a universal adaptor plug so I assumed I could use it to charge the tablet. No luck.
    I tried connecting it to the computer via USB, and the charge number continues going down slowly (was 25% when I received it, is now 21%). However, bizarrely, the amount of time left before it's discharged is going up over time (it was 36 mins at 23% and is now 1h 8m at 21%).

It's saying "21% - not charging"

Help?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Have a read through this guide: [RS Guide] - So Your Transformer Won't Charge and/or Boot?

Also, the wall wart charges with 15 VDC, not the standard 5 VDC from USB or any normal USB wall wart. It will charge slowly from one of these with the screen off, but it will not show charging.

Here is a thread on USB charging as well: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-charging.html
    AndyC likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, Frederuco.

It won't register any charge on the wall wart (which won't come apart - it's a continental version). The wall wart won't charge anything else - although the adapter plug that I'm using is indicating that it's plugged in and drawing power. It's not the Transformer itself - that has drawn some charge from the keyboard dock, so the Transformer is chargeable.

I do, however, have a couple of standard USB wall warts and my computer itself so at least it'll charge somehow, if very slowly.
    Looks like I'd better buy a replacement charger ... (and in any case, I'll need a UK charger sooner or later. Amazon UK have one for 9.99; even with that it's cheaper buying from Germany than the UK and I got it early).

Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Andy

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Keep in mind, any TF101, TF201 or TF300 charger will work just the same as the included one.

Also, the charger WILL come apart if you try hard enough. Some (brave) users have had to get a wooden mallet to convince it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I had a similar issue yesterday when my TF700 arrived from Amazon.de. Initially I charged it using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wall charger (but with the Asus USB lead) and that worked fine. However after a while that stopped working all together.

First thing to check would be plug a phone USB cable into the Adaptor + Asus Plug combination and see if that charges your phone. If that works then that it rules out the charger itself.

Then comes the USB lead test... plug the tablet into your PC and see if it is recognised. If it is then the USB lead works fine.

If that's the case then there is no reason that everything together shouldn't charge your tablet, especially since we probably have the same batch of tablets and are using similar adaptors.

My mistake was thinking that my Samsung Tab charger would work, and what confused me was the fact that it did work initially. When I used the Asus charger it worked perfectly.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hshah View Post
    I had a similar issue yesterday when my TF700 arrived from Amazon.de. Initially I charged it using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wall charger (but with the Asus USB lead) and that worked fine. However after a while that stopped working all together.

First thing to check would be plug a phone USB cable into the Adaptor + Asus Plug combination and see if that charges your phone. If that works then that it rules out the charger itself.

Then comes the USB lead test... plug the tablet into your PC and see if it is recognised. If it is then the USB lead works fine.

If that's the case then there is no reason that everything together shouldn't charge your tablet, especially since we probably have the same batch of tablets and are using similar adaptors.

My mistake was thinking that my Samsung Tab charger would work, and what confused me was the fact that it did work initially. When I used the Asus charger it worked perfectly.
    Thanks - I haven't tried using the Asus charger with anything else yet; I was a little worried over the higher voltage output from it possibly damaging my phone.
    The USB cable works fine on transferring files, and after Frederuco's advice, I left it attached to my PC via USB overnight. From 10:30 pm to 6:30 am it went from "22% - not charging" to "64% - not charging", so it looks like either there's some kind of weird synergy issue when all three elements of tablet, cable and charger are brought together (not impossible) or it's the charger.

By the time I get home from work today, I'm expecting it to have been fully charged

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    The Asus charger outputs both 5V and 15V (you can read the small writing on it to double check) and it switches between these two outputs depending on what is plugged in. The tablet would charge at 15V whereas a phone would default to 5V... it is a smart charger. I can vouch for this as well because my Samsung SIII is alive and well after a night of charging.

All I can think of is that something is wrong with either the converter or the adapter, and a phone charge test would help narrow that down.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    New charger has arrived and all is well!
    Thanks all!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links