Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tor
  • 1 Post By Kevinthefixer

Thread: Asus TF700T or New Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Asus TF700T or New Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10?

I currently have an Asus Transformer TF700T - obvioulsy it is quite a few years old. I was tempted to get the new Amazon Fire HD 10 but was unsure if it is a definite upgrade.

Is the Fire HD tablet faster?

A lot of specs seem similar and I cannot find a true comparison between the 2.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Pro Fire:
    o The Fire has stereo speakers (TF700T: single speaker)
    o The Fire has 2GB RAM (TF700T: 1GB). This one I would care more about than the sound.
    o The Fire has dual-band wi-fi (I take it to mean 5GHz included, while the TF700T is 2.4GHz only). Not so important, except in wi-fi-congested areas which overloaded channels

Con Fire:
    o It appears to have even more pre-installed bloat (10GB for the 64GB model) than the TF700T
    o Charge times much slower due to 5V instead of 15V as the TF700T (although the former is much more standard, which is a plus of course)
    o Doesn't have attachable keyboard with mucho interfaces as the TF700T has.
    o Not much of a camera.
    o The FIre OS is just some kind of Kindle, as I understand. Whereas the TF700T runs Android natively. That's a pretty significant difference. If you want Android, you'll have to buy an Android device, not a Fire.

The weak point of the TF700T is the internal eMMC, its flash storage. It's very slow and seems to degrade a lot performance-wise when getting full. Nearly every device produced later than the TF700T will have much faster internal storage. Probably including the Fire.

When my TF700T basically gave up after many years of (ab)use (no mic, digitizer problems, etc), I bought a Huawai to replace it. Basically because that's the only 64GB Android tablet I could find. It's definitely much faster. But much more expensive than that Fire.
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Pro Fire:
    o The Fire has stereo speakers (TF700T: single speaker)
    o The Fire has 2GB RAM (TF700T: 1GB). This one I would care more about than the sound.
    o The Fire has dual-band wi-fi (I take it to mean 5GHz included, while the TF700T is 2.4GHz only). Not so important, except in wi-fi-congested areas which overloaded channels

Con Fire:
    o It appears to have even more pre-installed bloat (10GB for the 64GB model) than the TF700T
    o Charge times much slower due to 5V instead of 15V as the TF700T (although the former is much more standard, which is a plus of course)
    o Doesn't have attachable keyboard with mucho interfaces as the TF700T has.
    o Not much of a camera.
    o The FIre OS is just some kind of Kindle, as I understand. Whereas the TF700T runs Android natively. That's a pretty significant difference. If you want Android, you'll have to buy an Android device, not a Fire.

The weak point of the TF700T is the internal eMMC, its flash storage. It's very slow and seems to degrade a lot performance-wise when getting full. Nearly every device produced later than the TF700T will have much faster internal storage. Probably including the Fire.

When my TF700T basically gave up after many years of (ab)use (no mic, digitizer problems, etc), I bought a Huawai to replace it. Basically because that's the only 64GB Android tablet I could find. It's definitely much faster. But much more expensive than that Fire.

Thank you for that awesome Pro and Con list. Im not sure what I would be missing from having a legit Android OS, as opposed to the Kindle's. I think I am leaning towards the new Fire purchase.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Make sure you read the return conditions. I had an Amazon tablet for maybe a week. Hated it to be completely roped and tied into the Amazon environment. Worse than Apple IMHO

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    After all the years of fuss about Samsung tabs being SOOO much greater than the Asus, even at roughly double the price, I recently picked up a refurb Galaxy Tab 4. Yes, it's a bit faster, boots in about half the time my 700 does. Does not have anywhere near the custom development that the 700 inspired, and all of the custom ROMs available have a major shutdown glitch; you can't shut them off while charging, it simply reboots back into Android. And no perceptible performance advantage to the custom ROMs. The screen is not as good, not as bright and clear and not as touch-sensitive as the Asus, the camera sucks (and doesn't work at all with the custom ROMS). Battery life not as good and charging slow. My advice is to stick with the 700 as long as you can, unlock it and ROM it. @droidbound, above, has written an excellent step-by tut for that.
    sculptedstylus likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links