Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What tablet to replace my Transformer?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I don't see how that can compare - the operating systems are totally different. In my household we use various devices including the four major operating systems, and the one who gives us grief all of the time is the laptop with Windows 10. I still regret that it was upgraded from 8.1, that one at least made some sense and worked as described.
    Well, Tor, you know I am a massive fan of "mobile" OS. And I wouldn't buy another Windows device unless circumstances forced it on me. However, even given those two positions, I still don't see the point in spending the same (or more likely more) money on a device with the pedigree of an expensive Android device with the inherent limitations of its mobile phone background as compared to a full desktop OS like Windows.

BUT I do agree 100%(and this is 50% of why I won't buy a Windows device) that Windows machines need constant maintenance and problem solving.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    251 times
    What I liked with my TF201, and later TF700T, as long as the dock worked (it finally failed after too many drops to the floor) is that this Android transformer covered all my (quite extensive!) needs for a 'mobile PC', to the extent that I did not need my (windows-based) company notebook, and not even my Linux-based (company) laptop, when travelling, even when I was away for months. The Transformer, with Android, could do it all. I could monitor customer acceptance tests, for example, with a Java GUI running in a VNC on the tablet. At the same time I would be online with WebEx *and* Skype. Remote network support from anywhere? No problem. Other kind of remote support? Works fine. The Android OS, when combined with the dock (and getting a computer with microSD, full-size SD, full-size USB w/kbd,mouse,Ethernet etc), covered all my needs, with the exception of writing code. Well, I could, in a VNC, but it's cumbersome. I couldn't write code on a Windows computer anyway.
    In short, the Android Transformer is *better* suited for my extensive support-, network-, and IT needs than any Windows PC. It's not a toy and I don't think of it as just a mobile phone OS with a large screen.
    Swipe likes this.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    It's not a toy and I don't think of it as just a mobile phone OS with a large screen.
    No, me neither. My main complaint is the lack of a good, free word processor for Android. Oh, you can get full office suites, which I don't need, and there is a free version of Textmaker that is lacking a few key features, but I'm looking for something along the lines of Abiword--open-source, lean & mean (can a word processor be mean?), fully functional, supporting nearly all document formats. Spreadsheet programs are rampant, so are presentation editors/readers, what's up with word processors? Database and business management software are lacking also, even more so than in Linux, where it's pretty dismal. Guess there's more money in a controlled environment like Windows.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    If you haven't used a Windows device in years now may be the time to dip your toes in Windows 10.

I am very impressed by the Asus Transformer Mini. While it hasn't tons of horsepower for my use it checks all the boxes.
    The fact it also comes with a stylus pen is a bonus. A similar setup for an Apple device would cost around $1,000. Mine was
    about $600. AND yes I know there are cheaper laptops and desktops with more RAM etc. but that wasn't the point. I love the portability of these 2-in-ones and I feel Asus has some great ideas and delivers a good experience.

Android hasn't been a strictly "mobile phone background" since rewriting the OS for tablet use way back in 2012.
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-21-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    If you haven't used a Windows device in years now may be the time to dip your toes in Windows 10.
    No, not for all the money in the world.. we upgraded (ha! right!) my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop to 10, and that was the worst mistake ever. 8.1 actually worked ok, the 10 has so many issues that the wife is ready to move to *anything* to get away from it. I regret every day that I didnt just remove the computer from the network the last few weeks until after the 'final' day (just to get away from the upgrade nag). I guess I misunderstood a bit - I thought it would be forcibly upgraded near the end in any case. Or maybe I wasn't mistaken. In any event, the big error was moving a perfectly worcking computer to 10.
    The 8.1 was actually not bad, despite what I had heard about it. It was surprisingly easy for me to find my way around it, including going through the first-time setup, even though a Japanese version creates some additional hurdles. But 10 removed everything that was ok in 8.1, or nearly all anyway.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    "Each to their own" - I'm almost the original apologist for mobile device functionality. I wrote a post here back in early 2012 postulating that tablets would replace PCs within 10-20 years. I'd be the first to sing the praises of either Android or iOS and I stand by the detail in what I said in post #15.

That said, it is also true to say that "mr/mrs average" are so used to Windows and it is now so all pervading, that the quality (or lack thereof) of that OS is no longer pertinent. It will just continue under its own weight and ubiquitousness.

But as for me - unless I am forced to because it's the only way I can get something to work - I will not have another Windows based machine... not ever.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    No, not for all the money in the world.
    I feel your pain.. or rather, it seems Janner43 does.

I guess upgrades are the Achilles heel of Windoze devices. After all the office nick-named Windows XP "Xextra Problems..."

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    My main desktop has several different OSs installed, and one of them is Windows 7, which wasn't bad IMHO, but was still Windows. Default these days is Linux Mint Debian Edition which I've found excellent, actually supports some of my older hardware that I'd about given up on (my Canon LiDE 30 scanner, an ancient 640*480 Intel camera for two instances). But on another, I started out with the Win8 beta which I made usable with a start-menu app, then accepted the 8.1 update--and Windows promptly borked the license. As a beta tester I was supposed to get the final product free, but they said I had to buy a new license. I wouldn't give them a dime for that abomination of an OS anyway, but after that as far as I'm concerned they can do without my money altogether, and kiss that goodbye while they're at it. Very occasionally, I'm forced to use a Windows utility at work, but I refuse to give Microsoft any more of my money.

Sorry about the rant! Well, OK, I'm not THAT sorry. But thanks for letting me get it off my chest anyway.
    Swipe likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links