Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Any word if Android 4.4 KitKat is coming to the TF700?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Agreed, I got the motochopper root done before the last update, which stopped that method of root. It has given it day one performance, and would expect 4.3 to give the tablet a new lease on life for plenty of users.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    20 times
    I gave up on waiting on updates to 4.3 or KK - this last week I finally bit the bullet and flashed CROMI-x. Painful process in that it took days to be successful in unlocking the bootloader - literally took dozens of tries before the tool finally worked. After that, all else was straightforward. I wasn't having any particular performance issues; rather, I got fed up with the random reboots that seem to occur at least once/day. Hopefully, that will improve with CROMI-x.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhswmc01 View Post
    I'll chime in as a user who's generally happy with this tablet - we've had it for a year, and while I hate not being able to use Open Office, it's been a decent device, overall. Looking back, though - I won't buy another ASUS tablet. For the money spent, this should have been better out of the gate, and given more updates.
    Agreed. For a "flagship" device it was very disappointing.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I just heard from both Asus and Asus North America's Facebook & Twitter reps. The news is not good. The first respond on FB was "We have no idea when or if, that is why we offered an unlock tool. You may want to use a 3rd party ROM if you want TRIM support", this was followed by another rep posting the link and instructions. Shortly after that, both messages disappeared and a meesage identical to the one I received on Twitter popped up.

"No plans for 4.3 unfortunately We didn't find it stable with the hardware. 4.4 is a possibility though" This was Asus North America responding on both occasions btw

Looks like we are on our own unless 4.4 goes from possibility to availability.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhgemini View Post
    I just heard from both Asus and Asus North America's Facebook & Twitter reps. The news is not good. The first respond on FB was "We have no idea when or if, that is why we offered an unlock tool. You may want to use a 3rd party ROM if you want TRIM support", this was followed by another rep posting the link and instructions. Shortly after that, both messages disappeared and a meesage identical to the one I received on Twitter popped up.

"No plans for 4.3 unfortunately We didn't find it stable with the hardware. 4.4 is a possibility though" This was Asus North America responding on both occasions btw

Looks like we are on our own unless 4.4 goes from possibility to availability.
    On xda there is already a 4.4 build for tf700 and numerous 4.4 builds. So far 4.4 for tf300 is a little more difficult.

I've said this before and I will mention it again: Asus has no obligations to upgrade devices past about 12 months. Google play services is updated for all devices (similar to windows security updates) however the android version doesn't need to be updated. Be thankful that Asus supports unlocking tools like the one they have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    -I apologize for any spelng mistakes made as a result of the keybord-

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

What justifies 1 year of update support?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    On xda there is already a 4.4 build for tf700 and numerous 4.4 builds. So far 4.4 for tf300 is a little more difficult.

I've said this before and I will mention it again: Asus has no obligations to upgrade devices past about 12 months. Google play services is updated for all devices (similar to windows security updates) however the android version doesn't need to be updated. Be thankful that Asus supports unlocking tools like the one they have.

I'm curious, since you posted here and I didn't want to go through all of your listed posts in other threads. Where did you get the math and software update rules to justify 1 year of support? Other than, that is the roll-out period for new product to make old feel obsolete.

This was my 3rd Asus Transformer and I now own a T100 Wintablet. I bought these based on Asus communicating with us that their value proposition to help differentiate them from the other android tablets, would be a robust update cycle.

I do admit though, that it is their prerogative and nowhere legally do they need to support this. Just as it is our prerogative to give all of our future business to those who do support previous loyal owners.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhgemini View Post
    I'm curious, since you posted here and I didn't want to go through all of your listed posts in other threads. Where did you get the math and software update rules to justify 1 year of support? Other than, that is the roll-out period for new product to make old feel obsolete.

This was my 3rd Asus Transformer and I now own a T100 Wintablet. I bought these based on Asus communicating with us that their value proposition to help differentiate them from the other android tablets, would be a robust update cycle.

I do admit though, that it is their prerogative and nowhere legally do they need to support this. Just as it is our prerogative to give all of our future business to those who do support previous loyal owners.

Here is something I posted a while ago. Take it as you will but just understand that I'm speaking from a realist standpoint and I don't expect anything to change soon.
    Well, since they technically have no responsibility to update them they have no reason to. The way I see it, with the exception of nexus you get what you paid for and anything else is just a bonus. Similar to how windows xp and 7 users don't get updates to newer os version. the manufacturer gave them a paid licence for windows software and they can update on their own by paying for a new licence.

The difference with android is that it is free and gets updated much more frequently. This makes it worthwhile for companies to update older devices. Not for existing users, but for attracting potential buyers to an older device. Since the tf101, tf201, tf300 and possibly tf700 are no longer for sale directly from asus factories (only selling off warehouse units at this point) there is no reason to update it.

That's not to say you can't load a different version of android on the same as windows on a PC. There are many custom Roms that can accomplish that quite easily

In conclusion, I do not want to start an argument with any one. I am simply stating my opinions.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow...this is hands down the worst tech purchase I've ever made. Such a huge letdown, can't believe it received such high reviews and was considered 2nd best purchase after the nexus10 this time last year. I'm going to wait until march-april just in case, if nothing happens then I'm for sure gunna do a custom ROM
    Last edited by footyfan365; 12-12-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by footyfan365 View Post
    Wow...this is hands down the worst tech purchase I've ever made. Such a huge letdown, can't believe it received such high reviews and was considered 2nd best purchase after the nexus10 this time last year. I'm going to wait until march-april just in case, if nothing happens then I'm for sure gunna do a custom ROM
    Wow. Seems like the flagship transformer infinity turned out worse then my tf300. I mainly put a ROM on out if curiosity. Not that the ROM isn't way faster, I just didn't experience any if the glitches any infinity owners agree describing.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times
    ...... its a shame there has not even been a recent Kernel update... will wait till after Christmas if nothing comes thinking of selling and get me an ipad 128gb........
    Last edited by Benhur; 12-17-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ads