Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Any word if Android 4.4 KitKat is coming to the TF700?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient1one View Post
    Ive been reading updating to 4.3 will not resolve most issues on the TF700 but will make things worse. Dont know how true this is but Im hoping Asus sends an OTA that resolves some of the issues mos owners of TF700 are experiencing. Asus must be experimenting with KitKat on the TF700 and if it resolves some issues will surely send an update. They are selling new TF700's at Best Buy and on Amazon for $349, this makes me think Asus will be keeping them up to date.

What kind of improvements are you experiencing with CROMi? If you play Zen pinball are you able to play in portrait? When I try to play in portrait half the screen goes black, not in landscape.
    Where did you read 4.3 will make matters worse? Please provide sauce. I would question that info, but would like to read what is said. Are you using zen pinball hd . I have no problem with zen pinball HD and the latest stock OS. The free zen pinball is probably not going to scale on the screen correctly on the tf700 screen in portrait mode.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
    Last edited by osmosis; 11-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    "I read somewhere that Samsung is having a lot of trouble with their 4.3 update of some of their devices and have had to pull it off their site. Perhaps this explains the delay of this update on our devices. I certainly will wait before I will allow it on my tablet. It's working fine right now so I for one will not update it until I'm fairly certain it doesn't screw up anything. I personally think Asus will seriously consider KitKat before going with a 4.3 update which could be seriously flawed."

Ive read a couple of comments that Asus might skip 4.3 on the TF700. The quote above is on transformerforums in the TF700 Threads (OTA of 4.3). Your saying the paid version of Zen pinball will play on the latest stock OS? Zen Studios has two paid versions Star Wars or Marvel pinball. Are you playing one of these or the free version of Zen pinball HD in portrait on your TF700?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient1one View Post
    "I read somewhere that Samsung is having a lot of trouble with their 4.3 update of some of their devices and have had to pull it off their site. Perhaps this explains the delay of this update on our devices. I certainly will wait before I will allow it on my tablet. It's working fine right now so I for one will not update it until I'm fairly certain it doesn't screw up anything. I personally think Asus will seriously consider KitKat before going with a 4.3 update which could be seriously flawed."

Ive read a couple of comments that Asus might skip 4.3 on the TF700. The quote above is on transformerforums in the TF700 Threads (OTA of 4.3). Your saying the paid version of Zen pinball will play on the latest stock OS? Zen Studios has two paid versions Star Wars or Marvel pinball. Are you playing one of these or the free version of Zen pinball HD in portrait on your TF700?
    You: [QUOTE=ancient1one;294496]Ive been reading updating to 4.3 will not resolve most issues on the TF700 but will make things worse.

How can Samsung having a few issus be correlated to what you said above?? It can't, and comments like that are exactly how non sense FUD gets spread around the intrerweb. The S3 is a completely different device from a complete!y different company. The complaint I was able to find was the 4.3 for the s3 caused Wi-Fi flakiness and some lockups per phonereview.UK androidauthority stated some other issues, so its understandable that Samsung pulled it. However 4.3 is and has been successfully deployed on many different hardwares and is working fine. I have searched and found no credible source which says the Tf700 will or will not ever get another update. But as it was released Dec 2011 its going on 2 years and thats pretty old in the scheme of technology. However they are still selling new so maybe it will get more updates. If it does or doesn't I would not be surprised either way.

The free version of zen pinball HD works perfectly on my tf700t with the latest firmware.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    Are you and I reading the same quote? CSItracadie's last sentence " I personally think Asus will seriously consider KitKat before going with a 4.3 update which could be seriously flawed."

I purchased Star Wars pinball from Zen Studios and it plays in both landscape and portrait mode but no luck with Zen pinball hd in portrait.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I was a proud User of the TF700, too. But not for a long time. In the meantime the device is quite slow, even a simple App install from the Play store causes performance issues (device becomes real slow during install). A factory reset does not solve the performance issue.

Missing updates. I'm quite unhappy about this damned update period: much too long or never be released. A good reason to never buy a device from such a company - no matter which reasons exist for this update issue.

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 4 past year, now a Nexus 5, which are real great devices. And IF I ever will buy a new tablet, it certainly will be a Nexus device, too. No more choices for any company to bother a paying customer with any (missing) update issue nor annoying front-ends like TouchWiz.

Thomas

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxone View Post
    Hi,

I was a proud User of the TF700, too. But not for a long time. In the meantime the device is quite slow, even a simple App install from the Play store causes performance issues (device becomes real slow during install). A factory reset does not solve the performance issue.

Missing updates. I'm quite unhappy about this damned update period: much too long or never be released. A good reason to never buy a device from such a company - no matter which reasons exist for this update issue.

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 4 past year, now a Nexus 5, which are real great devices. And IF I ever will buy a new tablet, it certainly will be a Nexus device, too. No more choices for any company to bother a paying customer with any (missing) update issue nor annoying front-ends like TouchWiz.

Thomas
    The last update was in September, how often should a Company update a product that will be as of Dec 19th a two year old released device. Heck vehicle manufacturers are only required to have replacement parts for cars for 7 years. Everything has a service life.

I find the device to experience some sluggishness but I have determined a few things that contribute to it.
    1. Internet speed, my tablet is much faster overall when connected to my 50mb service than when connected to an outlying place we have that has 2mb services yet both places have the same routers and WiFi signal is maxed out at both. Even when accessing local content and apps that do not need internet data to function. Same with GPS, even with GPS off, mine will sometimes poll for location. If its in a poor location signal wise, it takes extra resources.
    2. Some background apps use alot of network polling.
    3. I find some app updates bring the overall unit to a state of overall sluggishness Then a few days later that app gets another update and all is well again. I believe poorly built apps and their background function is the biggest issue with the sluggishness. An example is zinio. Worked great till the last update. Killed the tablet performance on the last update. If I open zinio it turns the tablet into a locked up mess. Closing zinio does not help. A cold reboot, clean master and another cold boot and its working fine as long as I dont open zinio. This is a duplicable problem. I'll bet an update to zinio comes soon and this issue is fixed. If apps are allowed to sync in the background or send you task tray notifications they are going to cause a performance hit.
    4. SD card speed. I can see better overall visual performance with a class 10 sd card vice a class 4. I believe polling the card slows down the unit.
    5. Not letting the caches build up. The system caches info for a reason. To access it quickly. If you constantly delete the cache, it has to rebuild some of that data. I read an article from a Google engineer who stated clearing a particular cache ( don't remember which he said) causes Google to re tokenize the device each time as a new device which causes problems with updates. However a larger or corrupt cache will slow the unit down.

When people buy devices, if the performance is not as you want, why do they keep them? they should immediately return the device and not wait months or years expecting an update. I don't understand the thought process of thinking a device will get better over time. Does anything ( other than you and me ) work smoother the older it gets?

Useability wise, my iDevices are the smoothest. I use both daily. But I prefer the 16x10 format and my screen layout ( using folder organizer ) on android. None of the devices are perfect, they all have something that could be better. Touchscreen tablets are a very new technology compared to 30 years that PC's have been mainstream. It took 20 years to get a handle on random crashes on pc's. Rebooting used to be something you did 10 times or more a day. Tablets are following the same growing pains.

Last edited by osmosis; 11-23-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    65 times
    Asus SHOULD be reviewing this forum and XDA for issues. When the SAME issues are reported by several 700 owners, it SHOULD cause them to look deeper into those issues for the possibility of causes and for frickin' UPDATES to the FW to fix them! We realize there are FW problems. What we don't understand is why these issues either do not get fixed or why we never seem see an announcement from Asus as to what the cause is and why it can't be fixed. Just for example, the mysterious black line has plagued this device from day one. Some 700's don't have it others do, but still NOTHING from Asus about it at all. And this is just one....there are other issues never fixed and NEVER mention offically by Asus.

MY opinion: I like the device, I want to LOVE it. I just can't support this kind of stuff by buying yet another Asus tablet. When this one finally becomes totally useless because of age or whatever, I won't be getting another Asus product and I may not get another Android tablet. It sure won't be an iAnything, so I'll probably be looking closer at a Windowz based tablet. I just hope their app store improves by that point in time.

Sorry if you think I'm whinning and crying.... Asus has just ticked me off for the last time.

Posted from my PC because I can't use my TF700T to do this!
    Stock TF700T Infinity w/JB Because it will not unlock!
    Apex Launcher Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
    Asus SHOULD be reviewing this forum and XDA for issues. When the SAME issues are reported by several 700 owners, it SHOULD cause them to look deeper into those issues for the possibility of causes and for frickin' UPDATES to the FW to fix them! We realize there are FW problems. What we don't understand is why these issues either do not get fixed or why we never seem see an announcement from Asus as to what the cause is and why it can't be fixed. Just for example, the mysterious black line has plagued this device from day one. Some 700's don't have it others do, but still NOTHING from Asus about it at all. And this is just one....there are other issues never fixed and NEVER mention offically by Asus.

MY opinion: I like the device, I want to LOVE it. I just can't support this kind of stuff by buying yet another Asus tablet. When this one finally becomes totally useless because of age or whatever, I won't be getting another Asus product and I may not get another Android tablet. It sure won't be an iAnything, so I'll probably be looking closer at a Windowz based tablet. I just hope their app store improves by that point in time.

Sorry if you think I'm whinning and crying.... Asus has just ticked me off for the last time.

Posted from my PC because I can't use my TF700T to do this!
    I understand your frustration, however let's be realistic.
    1, Asus has sold 100's of thousands if not millions of tablets. A very very very few have issues. I'll bet 99.9% are overall satisfied. The 0.1% you hear about on forums. The internet is a terrible place because no matter how much of an expert a person is or how inept they are they can freely broadcast to the world. In other words, you just don't know the back story of the issue.
    2. The dis satisfaction rate is very low. For example FedEx ships 1.2 billion packages a year and looses .55%. That's very low, percentage wise and means nothing unless your package is one of the thousands lost daily. Would someone you know losing a package stop you from using FedEx - probably not. The chance of you losing a package is less than the chance of you being hit by a car while crossing the street.
    3. You only hear of the problems. Example. My business has 12 less than favorable reviews over a 3 year period, yet we have 50-100 customers a day, many are repeat customers who have been patronizing us for years. Yet they dont review us and say how great we are, yet they say it to our face and with their wallet. They have many other places to get what we offer, yet choose us. But our reviews don't reflect that because 4 people a year felt slighted, plain old don't like my attitude or had buyers remorse.
    4. Everyone buys something that does not meet their expectations at sometime in their lives. Many people are dis satisfied with many things they buy. I have friends that bad mouth most of the tech they own, in reality they are expecting too much or generally mistreat the equipment then wonder why it doesn't meet expectations.
    My immediate response is "why don't you take it back or dispute the item as junk with your cc company if the seller won't take the return". the response is usually, " well the item is not that bad, and I dropped it a few times or its a hassle to return it, I'll just keep it. Yup, classic buyers remorse. I've had it too, brought houses and businesses and realized I really should not have done that after finding that it did not meet my expectations.
    Believe it or not, no company wants dissatisfied customers, asus wants you to have a product that works as intended. They are in business to make money, without sales there is no money. Contrary to how some people feel, companies don't release a product with the intent just to piss off a customer. Customers = money, satisfied customers = more money
    I do not represent asus or any technology company

Just wait till self driving cars become the norm and have a similar failure rate.

Sent from my tf700t cause it works fine, most of the time.

Last edited by osmosis; 11-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    65 times
    Well that makes everything OK. NOW I understand and I forgive Asus completely.
    Stock TF700T Infinity w/JB Because it will not unlock!
    Apex Launcher Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    HI,

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    When people buy devices, if the performance is not as you want, why do they keep them? they should immediately return the device and not wait months or years expecting an update. I don't understand the thought process of thinking a device will get better over time. Does anything ( other than you and me ) work smoother the older it gets?
    I ordered the TF700 immidiately when it was available in Germany and got it around August 5th, 2012. The first time performance was wonderfull, but it became more and more slower by time. When does happen the graphics sometimes were frozen on screen, seems like the device is too busy into the background and was unable to continue in the foreground (ie. install Updates from Play Store), and continue movement after a second or more I did reset to factory settings, following the manuals for this kind of work. And what nice surprice: same happens right after factory settings. Real great.

From my experiences with several Android devices, Smartphones and Tablets, the TF700 is a real frustrating and expensive experience which I definately will not repeat.

And about the missing update: 4.3 was released in July 2013, appr. one year after the release of the TF700. Where is the 4.3 update?

If I will buy a new Android tablet it will be a Nexus device. Definately and nothing else.

Thomas

i7-2600 w/32GB running Debian Wheezy
    Macbook Pro 13" w/16GB i7 Late 2012 running Mavericks
    Nexus 5 w/32GB running Android 4.4
    and don't tell, I also own an sluggish Asus TF700 running old Android 4.2.1

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads