Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Why is the TF700 so slow?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    I had a Infinity for almost a year and it never lived up to the expectations. I had the original Transformer Prime and it was a straight up piece of crap. Bad Wifi,GPS and sluggish. I used my extended warranty and exchanged it for the Infinity which promised to be a much better product but in the end it was a dog as well. When I loaded Jelly Bean it got even worse. I like to play games and the Infinity was supposed to be tailored for games. When I loaded Vice City and it stuttered at Max settings that was the start of the end. I performed all the "procedures" to make the Infinity better (Cold Boots, data wipe..blah...blah) but why should you have to with a supposedly premium tablet? When my wife's new Toshiba tablet ran better than mine I knew it had to be a software or design issue. I used my extended warranty AGAIN and returned it for a NEXUS 10. The Nexus booted up so fast out of the box that it floored me. Faster than the Infinity in every way. Jelly Bean 4.2 was already loaded and its soooo smooth. No lag, No stutters and 4 bar WIFI in every corner of my house. I can get a GPS lock just standing next to a window!!! Vice City runs like butter at Max graphic settings. I'm sure there are some Infinitys that run great but mine never did.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same super slow experience. It is a software issue. My wife wouldn't even use the tablet and I found myself avoiding it.

I unlocked and installed CROMi on my Infinity has been amazing since. CROMi is designed to feel like the native firmware, but slimmed down. I was floored by the performance difference and my wife will use the tablet now. Battery life tripled too! You also have a lot more options.

If you aren't using the tablet either, you have nothing to lose by trying a different ROM. I recommend it to every Infinity owner.

Sent from my Samsung GS3 using Tapatalk 2

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Petschska View Post
    I had the same super slow experience. It is a software issue. My wife wouldn't even use the tablet and I found myself avoiding it.

I unlocked and installed CROMi on my Infinity has been amazing since. CROMi is designed to feel like the native firmware, but slimmed down. I was floored by the performance difference and my wife will use the tablet now. Battery life tripled too! You also have a lot more options.

If you aren't using the tablet either, you have nothing to lose by trying a different ROM. I recommend it to every Infinity owner.

Sent from my Samsung GS3 using Tapatalk 2
    Ironically- I also have been using the TF700 for a year- and stock performance over most of that time has been good. I have posted simple performance tips before- but an additional one that I had not previously mentioned is to consider using an app cache cleaner like Clean Master.

For example, I also have an S4- which by most standards is quite fast. And yes- it is faster than the TF700- and it is also true, I am less aware of performance bottlenecks with the S4 than the TF700. However, the techniques I use to maintain performance on the TF700 also apply to the S4.

The only reason I post on this subject is that the TF700- even a year or more into production- still has unique functionality that its competition has yet to surpass. And ironically- while the S4 is faster and the screen resolution higher- the overall productivity and user experience is far better on the TF700.

When Asus stops updating the TF700, I will probably root and unlock. But for now it is still great. Notwithstanding, given that a new Infinity is on the way- this is not the time to buy the TF700- without a steep discount.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    mrumm49 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    43 times
    Agree with the above post, tracking towards the Nexus. Just mentioned in another thread that I am opting to use my S4 more than the TF700. Once I get something maybe I'll root/ROM the 700,not much to lose :-) Tried calling ASUS, a bit underwhelmed with their support and lack of interest. Ran into a contributor to Engadget out in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, he was not impressed with ASUS's response to customer issues, they seem to just move on to the next thing. Anyone experience otherwise?

Sent by "bluezdawg" from my scream'n Infinity TF700/TF201 run'n Jelly Bean 4.2.1 using Tapatalk HD
    'dawg

"Stargate Mobile": TF700 run'n Jellybean 4.2.2 & TF201 Dock
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 run'n Jelly Bean
    "never take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bluezdawg View Post
    Agree with the above post, tracking towards the Nexus. Just mentioned in another thread that I am opting to use my S4 more than the TF700. Once I get something maybe I'll root/ROM the 700,not much to lose :-) Tried calling ASUS, a bit underwhelmed with their support and lack of interest. Ran into a contributor to Engadget out in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, he was not impressed with ASUS's response to customer issues, they seem to just move on to the next thing. Anyone experience otherwise?

Sent by "bluezdawg" from my scream'n Infinity TF700/TF201 run'n Jelly Bean 4.2.1 using Tapatalk HD
    My experience with the Asus support was the same. Couple of years ago I sent in the 101 for a screen light and that was a 2 month wait that ended in them upgrading it to ICS for me while at the repair shop and it was stuck in a boot loop when I got it back, and they had no interest in fixing a software issue. I called a couple of weeks ago about the TF700 slow down and they were insistent that it slows after time with more and more apps and cache and what not. Didn't seem to matter to them that I had factory reset and not installed any apps and the stock experience was so slow. Asus support has driven me away from their products. My 700 will be the last.

I'm convinced its a hardware degradation issue. Most people seem to have the same story..it worked for x amount of time then suddenly slows to near unusable out of no where. I'm on CM10.1 and I might have time to try CROMI out today, but my hopes aren't up. Unfortunately until I can afford to upgrade I prefer my GS3 for almost all uses, even though I bought the tablet for the big screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    I know there is a tech guy from ASUS who visits this forum. Maybe he can get the attention of support and tell them that if they want repeat business, they really need to pay more attention to existing customers. And as long as they sell sealed units, batteries will fade and tablets will get replaced. Would think they would like to have the tablets replaced with newer ASUS units rather than other vendors (and if he is reading this, that extra GB of RAM in the Samsung GS4 makes a HUGE difference in performance and the GS4 is getting more use and my TF700 is getting less).
    Bille2021 likes this.
    TF700 64GB, Champagne, with Keyboard

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    I have had my TF700 less than a year, so do not want to unlock until warranty is up.
    I was about to unlock my TF700 in my frustration with the overall performance of my device.......
    But gave this a shot instead......
    I am stock. still locked & have rooted using MotoChopper and run both Lagfix once a week, & Clean Master once a day, & use Boat Browser cached to removable SD, as default browser.
    I am now actually quite happy with my Infinity's responsiveness at this point.
    Web pages load quickly, News apps work smoothly, Launchers (Apex & Android) are smooth & easily switchable. Apps run smoothly.
    My only complaint is battery life......Not horrible, but not great either.........
    No doubt at some point I will unlock and try a new Rom......
    Perhaps when 4.3 is implemented......as it will include Trimfx and improved battery life.
    But for now, this works for me.......

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    I just wanted to update for anyone following this thread...I tried CROMI over CM10.1 this weekend and actually had a worse experience, which is odd since most people say its a little better then CM10.1 on the 700. The play store kept stopping, everything was just as slow, and the touchscreen would stop responding. I went back to CM10.1 and everything works, albeit slowly like usual. There are a lot of setting options to choose with CROMI so not sure if I goofed it up. I actually loaded it twice, both after clean wipes and got the same results.

I'm hoping that since Best Buy is getting the new Nexus 7 that they'll get the new Nexus 10 when it comes out, then I can use my TF700 warranty (hopefully) and upgrade to that...if not guess its the Galaxy Note 10.1. Until then my GS3 is a workhorse!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    692 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post
    I just wanted to update for anyone following this thread...I tried CROMI over CM10.1 this weekend and actually had a worse experience, which is odd since most people say its a little better then CM10.1 on the 700. The play store kept stopping, everything was just as slow, and the touchscreen would stop responding. I went back to CM10.1 and everything works, albeit slowly like usual. There are a lot of setting options to choose with CROMI so not sure if I goofed it up. I actually loaded it twice, both after clean wipes and got the same results.

I'm hoping that since Best Buy is getting the new Nexus 7 that they'll get the new Nexus 10 when it comes out, then I can use my TF700 warranty (hopefully) and upgrade to that...if not guess its the Galaxy Note 10.1. Until then my GS3 is a workhorse!
    What recovery were you using?
    If you say you wiped, did you do a clean install? In TWRP that would be a factory reset. Just wiping cache and Dalvik doesn't cut it if you move from CM to Cromi-X.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    What recovery were you using?
    If you say you wiped, did you do a clean install? In TWRP that would be a factory reset. Just wiping cache and Dalvik doesn't cut it if you move from CM to Cromi-X.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah, I did a full wipe and all the other wipe options...cache, dalvik, and data. I'm using CWM. It could have been me as I haven't seen others have those issues with CROMI, I just don't get a lot of time to keep trying. Maybe someday...

Thanks for the tip though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links