Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: WiFi Optimisation Option In WiFi Settings.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times

WiFi Optimisation Option In WiFi Settings.

Hi All,

This must be new to the 4.2 update. As I've never noticed it before.

Basically in the advanced settings menu for WiFi.

There are the following options:

Network Notification:
    Keep Wi-FI on during Sleep:
    Wi-Fi Optimisation:

The Optimisation option is set to on by default. Potentially this could maybe be having the opposite effect with quite a few people stating batter draining quicker than ever which especially if this option works should be opposite if anything.

I'm going to try a drain and full charge then turn this option off and see what happens in terms of drain.

If anyone wants to try this or do it properly and timed etc would be helpful.
    janner43 and brecklundin like this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2224 times
    Nice find...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm still trying it with this option turned off..

Battery in settings is showing WiFi as using 67% battery. Previously this was around 40-50% with the setting on I think. Either way I'll let this drain out and try again with this on.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    I'm still trying it with this option turned off..

Battery in settings is showing WiFi as using 67% battery. Previously this was around 40-50% with the setting on I think. Either way I'll let this drain out and try again with this on.
    Just a FYI... The system battery monitor is not 100% correct. It always states that Wi-Fi uses the most when if anything the screen is using the most.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer TF700T Infinity Pad Using Tapatalk HD
    Rom: Stock 4.2.1 Rooted.
    UPDATE FOR TF700 USERS!!! AND THE 4.2.1 UPDATE http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2204100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I know it's fairly unreliable but if the % goes from being stated at 50% to around 65% their's clearly something causing a jump is my thinking!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I've found the battery monitor in Settings to be fairly enlightening, even though it's not 100% accurate. Keep in mind when looking at it, the listed apps and their usage have to add up to 100% (give or take), so there'll always be some app at the top of the list, even if nothing's consuming anything at a great rate.

I was initially disappointed with my TF700's battery life. I got both my TF700 and Nexus 7 to consume approximately 1-2% per 24 hour period with no use -- other than active standby, by turning off wiFi when the screen is off. On the TF700, I did this in two locations (the Asus settings and the WiFi advanced menu option).

My TF700 went back to it's 20-30% per 24-hour period with the latest Jelly Bean update. The battery monitor revealed that Google Maps was the culprit -- allegedly due to WiFi use. I suspect that Maps is/was attempting to obtain location by way of WiFi, despite me turning the setting off. I don't believe that Maps has the ability to subvert the WiFi service's setting in Android, and perhaps its failure was causing the app to continually wake up while trying. I successfully returned my TF700 to its 1-2% consumption by manually shutting off the GPS, which I presume caused Maps to quit trying...

I'm an Android developer, and I've messed around with plenty of various devices in recent years. The TF700 seems to be the most "frail" from a software perspective than any other device I've touched. Granted, I haven't handled any of those $50 android knockoff tablets, but the fit and form of the TF700 leaves a bit to be desired.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    102 times
    Actually, Maps activates GPS and wifi and ACTUALLY does bypass the wifi settings on this tab, meaning your tablet's wifi is still running. It has been a bug that have been here for awhile. I dont use maps so I disable it or dont install it for that reason. in a 8 hour period, I lost 1% on my tablet, none on dock, so about 3-4% per 24 hours, which is not bad at all.

Tylor
    brecklundin likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    Actually, Maps activates GPS and wifi and ACTUALLY does bypass the wifi settings on this tab, meaning your tablet's wifi is still running. It has been a bug that have been here for awhile. I dont use maps so I disable it or dont install it for that reason. in a 8 hour period, I lost 1% on my tablet, none on dock, so about 3-4% per 24 hours, which is not bad at all.

Tylor
    I'm not quite sure how Maps would accomplish that, as the Location Service's group permissioning does not allow a non-privileged app to do such a thing. That's why the battery monitor's statistics are occasionally suspect. I know that on my N7, for example, Maps shows "WiFi Running" in its usage details for many days in duration, yet the actual battery consumption, as well as the lack of network connection, shows that's not the case.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    I'm not quite sure how Maps would accomplish that, as the Location Service's group permissioning does not allow a non-privileged app to do such a thing. That's why the battery monitor's statistics are occasionally suspect. I know that on my N7, for example, Maps shows "WiFi Running" in its usage details for many days in duration, yet the actual battery consumption, as well as the lack of network connection, shows that's not the case.
    Neither does anyone else but it does. It has been a topic forever and that app somehow bypasses it, maybe because it is in the system part of the tablet instead of just am app? But I do not know. I know by disabling it will increase battery life tremendously.

Tylor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    Neither does anyone else but it does. It has been a topic forever and that app somehow bypasses it, maybe because it is in the system part of the tablet instead of just am app? But I do not know. I know by disabling it will increase battery life tremendously.

Tylor
    Hmm. In my case, disabling the GPS (as I think I indicated earlier) took care of things. I've only had to do this in the TF700. Every other device I've had works fine with the GPS left enabled (while twiddiling the WiFi during active standby, of course).

I'll need to review some resources, but if I recall properly, there's some not-so-standard things that the Location Manager binder service does to interface with the actual GPS device driver and its associated hardware. My guess is that the TF700 is using a GPS receiver that's substantially different from other devices (I believe it has GLONASS support, where my N7 does not -- so a radically different chip and device driver is not out of the question).

I'll drill around in DDMS with the tablet in my spare time to see if I turn up anything obvious. Something's clearly out of whack, and it definitely smells like the Location Manager's underpinnings.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads