Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Infinity battery life problems following the 4.2.1 update? All posts here please.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times

Infinity battery life problems following the 4.2.1 update? All posts here please.

We have had several threads started since the update on battery life problems.

Some of those posts were moved into the firmware update thread, others have become live threads. Because we try hard to keep things organised for our members, to enable the sharing of problems, solutions & general discussions, I have started this new thread.

This solution was successful with the Infinity Dock "saga" - that thread is still very active & worked well, so I thought I would repeat it here.

The posts quoted in the second & third posts are taken from a few different threads & this thread has been referenced in those locations. (I couldn't just copy them into this thread for the same reason I can't just "merge" the existing threads - the dates & timings differ & this means the posts get confused)

I hope together you find some solutions & answers if you are experiencing this problem.

Please stay on topic & only discuss the battery life issues here. Any off topic posts will be deleted without warning, so that this this thread stays clear for those experiencing this issue & trying to track a solution.
    Last edited by janner43; 04-09-2013 at 02:22 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times

Quote Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post
    I am not sure if this happened before the latest Asus software upgrade or maybe after a Maps upgrade but the battery life on my tablet is being killed by the Maps ap. The ap is using 60 - 80% of my battery life and is up all the time - even when I do not want it. Can or should I prevent Maps from being a startup ap and is my impression that this problem has just started recently because of some sort of program upgrades. Or did I do something wrong to cause this problem.

I looked at several startup managers to solve the problem and System Tuner looks like it might work. Any thoughts.

DON

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Anyone else having battery issues since the 4.2 Upgrade ? At first I thought everything was cool till yesterday . Most of the time when I'm not using the 700 it's in sleep mode. I went to use the tablet and the keyboard battery was drained to 0 % and the tablet was at 16% and I hadn't even used it since the other day . So plug it in to charge it . Last evening took it off the charger an played a little while . The back of tablet got hot as hell. So set it aside to cool down . I had only played most wanted for a bout 15mn. picked the tablet up the keyboard battery is drained to 0% again and the tablet is at 67%.

I did do a cold boot the other day but I don't think it made a difference . So I ran Asus backup which used 10% took me down to 57% . Think I'm going to try preforming a FDR and see if that helps. I did check to see if there was anything that was chewing up the battery in the battery app . It showed my WIFI as being the biggest user then Screen .

Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post
    I upgraded to 4.2 Thursday and all seemed to go well. Steps I took are:
    1. Cold Boot
    2. Update
    3. Cold Boot
    4. Factory Reset (had started get a lot of lag lately so wanted a fresh start)
    5 Cold Boot
    6. Install Apps
    7. Cold Boot

Since then I have cold booted a couple of times and I am loosing about 10% battery life per hour, maybe a little less. I almost always keep my TF700 docked. My usage is showing 76%-78% as wi-fi battery drain. I usually go 2-3 days without charging, and have had to charge during the day the last 3 days. I don't really want to turn the wi-fi off during sleep.

Also seem to be getting random reboots once a day now. I have always got them once a week or so, but its been once a day sine upgrade.

Anyone else having these issues? Hoping we can find a fix until the next firmware update. I'm not apposed to putting CM10.1 on it, I have it on my GS 3 and love it.

Also, I really appreciate any input, but I don't believe in multiple factory resets and would rather not debate it here.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by janner43; 04-08-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Potential solutions...

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    My guess is that you are running an app, not maps, that is dependent on your location. Therefore the ''maps'' is running. It wont be the map app itself. What else are you running that may be using your location? That will be the culprit

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Unless you have the map app open, Something else is doing the dastardly deed. I', on 4.2 on a TF700 and seeing the same battery use as I do on my TF201 with 4.1. In fact I have managed only 4% drain in sleep over 13 hours which is by itself pretty darned good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    OK so if it says that maps is the major source of battery drain under battery settings then you probably have the same problem that I had on my tf300. The problem is with having location services turned tuned on. This is independent of Google maps and will still continue even if maps is disabled. What leeshor said about an app interfering may be true but it wasn't in my case.( continued to happen after factory reset with no apps installed) I still recommend a full factory reset ( it will solve many of the other small "hiccups" in the system) but first try this. Go to settings find location access on the left collumn two thirds down the page and click on that. Then slide the blue switch that says "access my location " to the off position. To find out if this has worked you will probably need good a cold boot/hard reset (does not delete any files or settings only cache) you can find(steal) the link for instructions on this in leesor's or any moderators signature.

I hope this helps you and I still would reccomend the factory reset to straighten everything out (you can use the Asus app backup app to save your application data and copy anything else over to a micro SD or cloud storage)

I was hoping that Asus had fixed some of the issues found on the tf300 when they released the firmware for the tf700
    Last edited by janner43; 04-08-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    I was having a battery issues. I was loosing about 10% an hour with the Wifi using about 78% of the battery life. As of this morning I have been off of the charger for about 3.5 hours and docked and I have 96% battery life on the tablet and 100% on the dock.

The only thing I have done is last night I disconnected from my router, turned wifi off then back on, and re-connected to my wifi. Hopefully this will hold. I'm hoping the initial connection to my router during setup after the factory reset was just unstable and is now fixed.

I'll give it a day or two and repost.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    For anyone who viewed this thread and wondered where the "helpful posts 2 & 3" mentioned in the OP went - well they vanished into the ether & I have just noticed their absence and reposted them.

"Normal" service will now resume - subject to Area 51 & The Outer Limits, of course.
    tstarky, Ate_Bit and Bille2021 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Since the update wifi has been my number 1 user of battery and thats after a factory reset and no apps installed.
    Somethings wrong with the update.
    gmanny61 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pump146 View Post
    Since the update wifi has been my number 1 user of battery and thats after a factory reset and no apps installed.
    Somethings wrong with the update.
    Turn off GPS and ASUS Sync, should solve that. Also make sure when the tablet is put to sleep wifi turns itself off,the settings is at the bottom of the ASUS customized settings. The GPS and ASUS sync can be shut off via the notification center in the navigation bar.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer TF700T Infinity Pad Using Tapatalk HD
    Rom: Stock 4.2.1 Rooted.
    UPDATE FOR TF700 USERS!!! AND THE 4.2.1 UPDATE http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2204100
    Smollenhauer likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    is this new thread for all transformer versions? want to make sure I don't post in the wrong place

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    Turn off GPS and ASUS Sync, should solve that. Also make sure when the tablet is put to sleep wifi turns itself off,the settings is at the bottom of the ASUS customized settings. The GPS and ASUS sync can be shut off via the notification center in the navigation bar.

Tylor

UPDATE FOR TF700 USERS!!! AND THE 4.2.1 UPDATE ASUS JellyBean 4.2.1 updates - a warning - xda-developers
    good advice but also for newbs in settings-power saver, not only are all those options there to disable or enable but also "wi-fi off" during sleep that makes a big difference especially if you have a lot of "free" apps that use wifi even when you aren't. i have gone through the most recent update and after a day/night in sleep mode(have the dock attached too) i still have 97% charge remaining.
    Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does. -Douglas Adams-

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenzinbfe View Post
    good advice but also for newbs in settings-power saver, not only are all those options there to disable or enable but also "wi-fi off" during sleep that makes a big difference especially if you have a lot of "free" apps that use wifi even when you aren't. i have gone through the most recent update and after a day/night in sleep mode(have the dock attached too) i still have 97% charge remaining.
    Agreed it is what every user should check if you want the longest battery life possible. Most of the time I can go to sleep with mine 100% and wake up with it at 99-100%. So for 6-8 hours, more even on weekend, that is a very tiny amount.

Tylor

UPDATE FOR TF700 USERS!!! AND THE 4.2.1 UPDATE http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2204100

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links