Thread: Poor battery life- TF700 updated to JB+firmware on balanced performance

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Poor battery life- TF700 updated to JB+firmware on balanced performance

Hey guys, I just got a TF700 with a docking keyboard, had been eye balling this beast for a while, finally got one.

Any how, I get nowhere near the alleged 9 hours(about 4 hours). I don't game, only mild web browsing with the following notes below.

note:
    -I updated everything as soon as I finished charging it for 9 hours(never turned it on, just charged it out of the box like it was recommended)
    -IPS screen is on about 30% brightness
    -wifi is on
    -balanced performance setting on
    -gps is off

I watched the percentages of my battery life drop every minute or two.

I noticed that I only get 4 hours of battery life(estimated with the DOCK on... then again I notice when I undock it-it shows about the same, so I'm guessing the gauge in the battery settings is only for the tablet, not for both) on the tablet.

Does this sound about right/normal(about 4 hours of use) with the following conditions settings?

and..

though I see the dock's battery gauge when plugged in... when I go to settings to see an estimated time of usage available, it seems not to change when docked or undock(even when I hit refresh and give it a few minutes)... is this normal too?

I remember when I read the reviews on Anandtech, he was able to get some 9 hours or so with web browsing and that was without the dock.

....I'll probably get around to rooting this soon..

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum. 4 hours is definitely not long enough for a brand new TF, however, things may change after several deep discharges and charges.

As for showing the dock battery I'm wondering if something is wrong there because there's a widget should show both however, I prefer Dual Battery Widget as it may provide you with some better information. Try that along with a couple of deep discharges and see if things improve.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    I had quite poor battery at first, and it kind of fixed itself, maybe try a hard reboot as well, that often fixes things
    ssnova likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome and the replies guys!

I will certainly try both of these when I get back home. I was beginning to worry/wonder why the battery life was so low.

First I'll get that dual battery widget(thanks Leeshor), then I'll try a hard-reboot.

To see the results... next I'll do some deep cycling (is there an app for that?) otherwise I'm guessing I'll have to put it on performance mode and maybe loop/play some 1080p video clips to run the battery down, and then recharge, rinse+repeat.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    I had quite poor battery at first, and it kind of fixed itself, maybe try a hard reboot as well, that often fixes things

Wozza, just to clarify, by "hard reboot" do you mean a hard reset/cold reboot? I searched the term and found this posted by janner43:

"Here is the process. Did you hit vol up in error, perhaps?

Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset.

A cold boot/ hard reset does not delete any data. "
    From this post: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ard-reset.html

As always, Thanks!

edit: just noticed the link in leeshor's signature for:

Quick Reference

Is that what you were referring to? The cold-reboot? Sorry for the dumb questions, I know..I'm a n00b, :P
    Last edited by ssnova; 03-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    edit: just noticed the link in leeshor's signature for:

Quick Reference

Is that what you were referring to? The cold-reboot? Sorry for the dumb questions, I know..I'm a n00b,
    That's the one. !!!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Mentioned in dispatches It'll be a medal next

As far as your battery life is concerned, ssnova, then let me point you in the direction of the battery / charging guide thread we have here. You'll find it linked from the Master Help Guide (link in signature). It contains lots of tips about charging, deep cycling and so on.

I suspect that after you have cycled your battery through 3 charge/ discharge cycles (but I don't advise letting the battery/ies to discharge past 10%) you should find the battery life greatly improved.

Hope that helps
    ssnova likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    I also think I have a poor battery life.

But what I was wondering is if they were any specific test I can run to actually see if I have or not a poor battery life.
    For example, what test is perform to get 9 hours of battery life?
    Is it 9 hours of browsing, movie watching, 3D gaming?

I remembered seeing somewhere that it could do 9hours on a full HD movie or 3hours of 3D gaming.
    Is that true?

Any suggestion on a specific test is appreciated.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Update.

So I did the cold-reboot successfully but oddly enough my battery gauge in the settings claimed that I had 55minutes and 55 secs left. However, the rate of percentage drop was much slower(so I figure the time estimater is just messed up).

Now...something that seems interesting is... it trickled the tablet down to about 70%, that's when I noticed the dock kick in and start charging the tablet (says charging) as I watch the dock drop in percentage while I watch the tablet rise... is this normal? Tablet only drops about 30%, and then the dock kicks in to recharge? In fact it even says " Charging (AC)" in the battery section of the settings window.

Either way, I will let it go down to about 10-15% before trying to recharge( I guess both at the same time) to recalibrate the lithium cells.
    Last edited by ssnova; 03-25-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patbb View Post
    I also think I have a poor battery life.

But what I was wondering is if they were any specific test I can run to actually see if I have or not a poor battery life.
    For example, what test is perform to get 9 hours of battery life?
    Is it 9 hours of browsing, movie watching, 3D gaming?

I remembered seeing somewhere that it could do 9hours on a full HD movie or 3hours of 3D gaming.
    Is that true?

Any suggestion on a specific test is appreciated.

Patbb, what alarmed me with my device was only after I read Anandtech's review and test on battery life:

AnandTech | ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700T) Review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links