Thread: WiFI problems with Asus TF700

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Post WiFI problems with Asus TF700

I purchased a Asus Transformer tablet in November, I have been having constant WIFI problems, I even bought a new router t hiking it was the router, the problem seamed to have gotten worse after Jellybean update. I have tried everything, called Tech Support, reset. any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    472 times
    Hey Sparky, welcome! Have a look through this thread, there may be something in there to help you out.
    What to do if you can't get connected to a WIFI connection

Be sure to post back and let us know if anything works for you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Follow up on Asus TF700 wifi problems: Still having major wifi problems, will connect to wifi and the speed drops down from 65 KBS to 6 KBS, sent the tablet in for warranty repair, bought a second new Asus RT AC66 U router and still having the same issue. So far I'm very disappointed in this tablet. I have tried every suggested fix to no avail.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    15 times
    You might also try using an app to monitor the wifi connection in real time. it will show you on the screen the actual throughput as in upload and download speeds to the Internet itself not between your router and your device.

Its called Network Monitor Mini. It's free and it's actually not a bad little app. I actually went ahead and paid for the 'Pro' version because I have a somewhat problematic wifi situation I deal with on a daily basis. Now when the speeds get wonky I have it right there in my screen and can address the issue quickly.

Also just a confirm for some folks at may not know, what you're seeing is the internet throughput verses what your WiFi network speed might actually be. Big difference because if you were seeing 65KB or even 6KB that would be really slow for a WiFi network however it's not out of reason for any given website and any given microsecond.

Likely dictated, not typed, on my LG Motion ICS 4.0 .4 with Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1053 times
    I think in your tool box you should have these three apps: Wifi Analyzer and speedtest.net. This one's a bit more technical - Fing.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-24-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    brecklundin likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxsparky View Post
    I purchased a Asus Transformer tablet in November, I have been having constant WIFI problems, I even bought a new router t hiking it was the router, the problem seamed to have gotten worse after Jellybean update. I have tried everything, called Tech Support, reset. any ideas?
    Hi pdxsparky,
    I think I might have figured out the why some are having problems with their wifi. In the summer I live in a recreation area. Lots of people on weekends, pure bliss during the week. I have noticed that on those weekends, the little-fan shaped icon at the bottom right of the screen (right next to the battery icon) is grey and I cannot connect to the internet. During the week, the fan-shaped icon is blue, and I have no problem connecting to the internet. I experimented using my iphone, and this is what I found out. When the fan-shaped icon is grey, my iphone indicates that it is receiving edge and not 4g. When the fan-shaped icon is blue, my iphone indicates that it is receiving 4g. The problem here where I am in the summer at least is an overwhelmed cell tower and not my tf700. Edge is fine for making telephone calls, but will not work for data as is needed when you connect to the internet. The cell tower evidently does not have the capacity to provide 4g to all of us that are using it on weekends, and it reverts to edge. During the week, it has adequate capacity. I have contacted the operator of the cell tower (att) and they acknowledge that the cell tower needs more capacity on the weekends.

Thus, it appears to me that a lot of people's problem with spotty wifi just might be their internet provider (the cell tower that they are receiving service from). Can anyone confirm or reject my investigation?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    Hi pdxsparky,
    I think I might have figured out the why some are having problems with their wifi. In the summer I live in a recreation area. Lots of people on weekends, pure bliss during the week. I have noticed that on those weekends, the little-fan shaped icon at the bottom right of the screen (right next to the battery icon) is grey and I cannot connect to the internet. During the week, the fan-shaped icon is blue, and I have no problem connecting to the internet. I experimented using my iphone, and this is what I found out. When the fan-shaped icon is grey, my iphone indicates that it is receiving edge and not 4g. When the fan-shaped icon is blue, my iphone indicates that it is receiving 4g. The problem here where I am in the summer at least is an overwhelmed cell tower and not my tf700. Edge is fine for making telephone calls, but will not work for data as is needed when you connect to the internet. The cell tower evidently does not have the capacity to provide 4g to all of us that are using it on weekends, and it reverts to edge. During the week, it has adequate capacity. I have contacted the operator of the cell tower (att) and they acknowledge that the cell tower needs more capacity on the weekends.

Thus, it appears to me that a lot of people's problem with spotty wifi just might be their internet provider (the cell tower that they are receiving service from). Can anyone confirm or reject my investigation?

Well what you are describing makes perfect sense, but unfortunately has no bearing on the OP's problem. He/she has trouble with their WiFi connection and that does not have anything to do with cell towers. Ok, there are some wireless Internet providers like Clear or you can use the MiFi from various phone networks, but I think the vast majority of us get their Internet through cable or DSL. Nothing else being indicated, that's what I would assume the OP has.

You still have a valid point though: OP did not state if the TF700 is one of x devices which all connect fine to the network except the tablet??? It could be a network problem...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2812 times
    Blue WiFi = Connection to Google Servers
    Grey WiFi = no connection to google servers (Internet may or may not work)

Also, many users have tablet wifi issues when other devices at home have no issues. These cases have nothing to do with Internet speed or 2G/3G/4G
    Jeffrey likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    I have noticed that on those weekends, the little-fan shaped icon at the bottom right of the screen (right next to the battery icon) is grey and I cannot connect to the internet.
    When the WIFI Icon is blue you have a connection to the internet and Google servers. When grey you have an internet connection but you are not connected to Google. It does not matter if you are connected via 3 or 4G. If you do not have a Google connection, WIFI will not work properly.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Blue WiFi = Connection to Google Servers
    Grey WiFi = no connection to google servers (Internet may or may not work)

Also, many users have tablet wifi issues when other devices at home have no issues. These cases have nothing to do with Internet speed or 2G/3G/4G
    Hi Frederuco,
    Thanks for your response. But, can I get a further explanation from you. I have an ATT dongle attached to a Cradlepoint router. When my iphone says edge, the lights on the dongle are one blue one red. My HP laptop will show a slash through the wifi icon and my tf700 will show the grey wifi. When my iphone goes back to 4g (it is really 3g inasmuch as ATT does not have 4g in my area) darn if the two lights on the dongle go blue, the bar is removed from the wifi icon on the laptop and the tf700 shows a blue wifi. Now, my question or questions. Can you connect to the internet when the cell tower is only broadcasting in edge? And my second question, what the heck does Google have to do with the internet working on my tf700?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads