View Poll Results: Broken Dock mechanism - plastic retaining pins snapped off: POLL Are you affected?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broken/insecure - Plastic retaining pins in tablet snapped off

56 49.12%
  • Insecure dock - Plastic retaining pins rounded off / worn out

17 14.91%
  • No problems

41 35.96%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Broken Dock mechanism - plastic retaining pins snapped off: POLL Are you affected?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Broken Dock mechanism - plastic retaining pins snapped off: POLL Are you affected?

Hi,

I had my ASUS Transformer Infinity 64GB for just 6 weeks or so when I noticed the tablet was no longer held securely in the dock. After closer inspection I could see signs that a plastic retaining pin inside a small hole in the right side of my tablet had snapped off. The one in the corresponding hole in the left side was fine. The tablet has never fallen or received any knocks. It would have been docked & un-docked many times per day. After some research I noted other users complaining of the same issue and a similar issue with the plastic pins.

1) Broken/insecure dock - Plastic retaining pins in tablet snapped off
    2) Insecure dock - Plastic retaining pins rounded off / worn out

I realise there are other issues such as the loosening of the hinge and also electrical issues with the connector but I would like to focus on just these two physical issues. I would like to invite other users who have experienced either of these issues to have their say here.

This is just a poll. Please only reply stating which of the two problems you have encountered and what model of transformer you have. eg TF101, TF700 etc, how old it is.

If any of you managed to get it repaired by ASUS that info would be helpful too. For my case ASUS are claiming Out-Of-Warranty / Customer Induced damage

Thanks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I have both issue 1 and 2. ASUS Support claims user-induced damage (although the tablet has only left the dock for a handful of times).

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2219 times
    As the thread didn't actually have a poll attached to it, I have add one for you wailim_2002

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks! I've added my vote

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    As the thread didn't actually have a poll attached to it, I have add one for you wailim_2002
    I added "no problems".

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    217 times
    I have the TF700 since mid November, in and out of the dock about twice a day, so far no problems

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    May we get some pictures of said problem before we vote?

I read this three times, and looked at my tablet, and I think
    I don't have a problem, but not sure I'm looking at the right thing.

What holes? (((That's what she said)))

No seriously, what's broken off, where?
    Peace!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTOKINAWA View Post
    May we get some pictures of said problem before we vote?

I read this three times, and looked at my tablet, and I think
    I don't have a problem, but not sure I'm looking at the right thing.

What holes? (((That's what she said)))

No seriously, what's broken off, where?
    Peace!
    Okay --- so as you look at the four images in the attached picture.

1) The top two images were taken looking down into the keyboard dock on the right hand side. The left image is of an undamaged clasp, the right a broken one. Notice how the plastic clasp has cracked in half along its length.
    2) The bottom two images are of the bottom side of the tablet ie the side that mates with the dock. Everyones tablet has a rectangular hole left and right of the center electrical connector. Again, the left image is of an undamaged plastic tab/clip whereas the right shows how a tiny piece of plastic has broken off and reveals some of the plastic design underneath. Now, there is no 'edge' for whats left of the corresponding clasp in the dock to grab onto.

My first question is why are these critical and 'loaded' parts made of plastic?

My second question is how does this happen? ASUS *appear* to be of the opinion it is Customer Induced Damage in all cases. On one hand I agree. If no customer touches it, then it cannot happen But on the other hand a consumer device should be capable of withstanding *reasonable* wear and tear. Reasonable is difficult to define but certainly if enough % of users begin to report this issue, it becomes a matter of concern right? So.. what issues of handling/neglect or potential design flaw could cause the damage in the images? Remember there is no damage on any of the surfaces that indicate the device might have fallen, apart from my knowing 100% that it did not fall.

Here are my theories (my opinions only)

1) If you pull your tablet up out of the dock without unlocking it, these plastic tabs may or may not hold. Metal would hold against all but HULK. Plastic will give way much earlier.... but when? Do you need to be Rambo or will a moderate tug break them? Obviously if you do that, BOTH tabs on both sides will most likely fail. So this is not what happened in my case. And besides, if I did that I deserve to have to pay for the repairs.

2) If somehow the release latch does not release both clasps then as you pull up the tablet, it will rotate either clockwise or anti clockwise (depending on which side did not unlatch). This would cause a powerful rotational lever force affecting both the tablet 'tabs' and the dock clasps.

3) Similar to (2): if your tablet is a snug fit in the dock on one side then as you lift the tablet up, the snug side remains behind in the dock in the critical seconds where you let go of the release tab! The very fact that this release button is spring loaded and not a switch which stays in the position you slide it to means this is possible.

I believe my problem was caused by either (2) or (3). But it really annoys me that this is automatically my fault and I must pay.... 160! If enough other people experience this issue it may convince Asus otherwise. At the moment it looks like as much as 27% of us have this problem.

If Asus are reading this I have a few suggestions:

- The tabs and clasps would be better made of metal. The compromise of weight vs strength needs to be revisited in my opinion.
    - The 'Release Tab' would be best redesigned as a slide 'switch' which snaps fully left or fully right and not a spring loaded one that bounces back.
    - The 'Release Tab' Should be centered on the dock so that the keyboard is held down flat during the undock manouver. I know i've experienced it lifting slightly off the table on the right side as I undocked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1041 times
    Dunno if the 700 is built different than the 201, I know there was some talk of different docks...perhaps that's part of the deal(?)
    Dunno, here's a shot I just snapped of my dock. I've had my tab 13 months now, joined this site a year ago today co-incidentally...and my tablet has been in/out of the dock, man, at least half a dozen times a day. Sometimes more, but that's a good average. No wear, no tear. Never lifted by just the screen, always folded flat to move. Any type of torque, you're looking for a world of hurt. (cracked screens galore, but also could contribute to this grinding down of the plastic tabs) Metal, yah...that woulda been a better way to go. The dock/tab combo is definitely not made for a quick attach, and needs to be treated that way. Spring loaded, the narrow tolerance, the weight supported by that one small hinge...if you're in a rush (or just plain not careful) it's easy to run into problems. Always, one hand slides latch...other pulls straight up, from middle of the screen. And I'm not known for babying things, as I said, it's on'n`off the dock constantly... who knows, from build quality to design to user operation, it all could contribute.

TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    20 times
    From the two photographs I an confused. Are we talking about the 'female' part in the pad, or the 'male' part in the keyboard, the pictures seem to show both. For what it's worth I believe that the un-docking should never be done without releasing the sliding catch on the keyboard, and also latching / unlatching when the pad and the keyboard are at 45 degrees to eachother. I also wondered if some of the problems arise when the pad and keyboard are 'over opened' [when locked together] which would , in my opinion, stress the hinge components. As has been said it would be much better if all the hinge components were made of metal.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads