Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Real world performance of TF700 vs Nexus 10??

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    The nexus 7 made my short list, but was beat out by the TF700T in the end. The killer features of the Infinity for me were: microSD slot in the tablet, availability of a docking station (that I still need to buy - availability limited so far) that gives not only increased battery life, but also has regular USB slots, a keyboard and improved connectivity. The HDMI was also a great feature. The 64Gb model I ended up buying was just icing on the cake. There's a few hundred Mhz difference in CPU speed between them and the Infinity has a better screen (imho, but the difference is almost unnoticeable in real usage). The nexus 10 didn't make the short list for the aforementioned reasons, but the nexus 7 did for the single feature it has that I like the most about it - it's smaller and much more portable. Now that I've had a 10 inch tablet for a while, I see the benefits, especially when web browsing, but when I was shopping, the small size and portability (it would fit in a jacket pocket) was a real consideration for me. Also on the short list was the Ainol Novo 7 Fire, as it had great bang for the buck and a nice feature set. The infinity's main advantages over it are things like the GPS (I've taken my Infinity on hunting trips for the GPS and photo/video capability - it also is a handy place to keep the hunting regulations).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times

Re: Real world performance of TF700 vs Nexus 10??

In the end I decided to stay with the TF700. 16 GB or even 32 GB on the N10 is too limiting for a high end device, and causes undue dependence on cloud (often non-free) services. Also, there are serious benefits to using an integrated keyboard that enhances the overall device function/usability with respect to battery life, USB and storage capability. Both the N10 and TF700 displays are excellent and in most cases performance is fluid.

However, browser performance is good, put probably not nearly as strong as the N10, with the N10 offering both higher resolution and better performance.

Some of this comparison leads to the question of the true role of a tablet- and what is a tablet versus netbook, ultrabook, desktop, etc. Again, I find the most compelling aspect of the tablet experience being portability. Actually, using a keyboard as with the TF700, can seen almost as a technological advance, as compared to the touchscreen-even though keyboard technology is relatively ancient.

The notion of portability- taken to its extreme-is the merging of human/machine. This social evolutionary trend is frought with danger- the sword of Damocles...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ljg600 View Post
    ...even though keyboard technology is relatively ancient.
    The first "keyboard," as in typewriter, made the first practical appearance around the 1860s. 150 years or so is ancient? I've been alive for over a third of that time. I guess that makes me semi-ancient.

Geez...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    When I bought my TF700, the quality of the display and availability of the key/doc were huge factors. One of my sons was looking at the Nexus 10 & 7 and decided on the 7and loves it. He's liked the price/size/performance combination. My other son has a Chromebook and it suits him well. While you can compare specs, just comes down to how you want to use them.
    'dawg

"Stargate Mobile": TF700 run'n Jellybean 4.2.2 & TF201 Dock
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 run'n Jelly Bean
    "never take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I just purchased the TF700T today after spending time playing with it and the Nexus 10. I also read as many reviews as I could possibly find and have to echo much of what you have said. The Nexus 10 is much more like my iPad in that it has fixed memory and no ability to dock a keyboard. I found the displays to be very similar although I was not able to do a side-by-side test.

The build quality on the TF700T appears better with a metal back instead of plastic. On the flip side, the plastic back on the Nexus 10 is slightly rubbery giving an edge on grip-ability. I do not like the proprietary charging cable on the TF700T but ordered a couple of spares for $5.00 ea. Although the Nexus 10 does use a standard micro-usb connector, charging time is an issue.

The Nexus 10 does have Android 4.2 while the TF700T has 4.1.1. I do not see that as an issue although the Nexus will always get updates faster...and probably for a longer period of time. I'm not sure how reliable the Nexus 10 is since it is a new device. My Nexus 7 has been trouble free (also built by ASUS) but my wife's unit has an issue with the audio being a bit "scratchy". I am a bit concerned about the reliability of the TF700T based upon what I have read elsewhere. However, I have been buying ASUS products for years and have personally found them to be reliable with good customer support.

In any event, I think it really boils down to what features you are looking for in a tablet. I plan on using my TF700T as a laptop replacement on short business trips and motorcycle cruises. The optional keyboard is a real plus in this regard. By the way, my iPad3 is going to my wife and her iPad 1 to her sister. Nothing really wrong with the iPad but Android tablets offer so much more flexibility with almost the same selection of critical apps.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Real world performance of TF700 vs Nexus 10?

Thank you for all the input guys. I finally ordered a Nexus 10. The deciding factor was the fact that it works smoothly right out of the box without having to load cleanrom with data2SD, which would void my warranty on a brand new device. I will miss the keyboard and microSD slot though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
    Thank you for all the input guys. I finally ordered a Nexus 10. The deciding factor was the fact that it works smoothly right out of the box without having to load cleanrom with data2SD, which would void my warranty on a brand new device. I will miss the keyboard and microSD slot though.
    Yup, you REALLY will.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
    Hey guys, I know this topic may have been brought up several times already,
    But after hours spent each day for the last week browsing forums. I still can't decide which tablet to get. The N10 or TF700.

**I guess my real question is if Clean Rom Inheritance 2.7 + data to SD will match the I/O speeds of the N10 and make up for it's slow flash memory? (Currently own the TF101)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    I now have a NEXUS 10 and I used to have a tf700t 64gb and I liked it but it lagged a lot more than my nexus 10 and I had to sell my tf700t because the screen cracked on me(unknown cause) and I did have the mobile docking station for it, even with all those features, I like the nexus 10 a lot better. And there is more support for nexus 10 than the Asus tf700t. The charging of the nexus 10 is not too bad(I use the magnetic pogo charger)

Glad u got the nexus 10 though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I've been using my nexus 10 with an otg cable and have not regretted it. Great device.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    102 times
    Nexus 10s are nice but personally they do not compare to a Cromi'd tf700. Even without data2sd it runs really well.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer TF700T Infinity Pad Using Tapatalk HD
    Rom: CleanRom Inheritance 3.4.6 Odex
    Kernal: _That's Stock V4 Kernal
    Theme: Timberwolf's Blues & Jazz Theme V1.9
    A FOR TF700 USERS!!! AND THE 4.2.1 UPDATE http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2204100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads