Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

WiFi Direct - Why Asus crippled it?

I have searched everywhere on the net and this great forum for the answer but no luck. I also do not understand why more of us are not flipping out about this features "removal". Tho really Asus just internally crippled and hid the option. The end result is the same no wifi direct.

I love using it on my GS2 and i really want it working on my tablet too.
    Last edited by janner43; 12-13-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: questionable content

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Maybe it's because WiFi Direct is considered to be insecure? - I certainly don't want it running on any of my devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Maybe it's because WiFi Direct is considered to be insecure? - I certainly don't want it running on any of my devices.
    I am not sure if you have used wifi direct before {no offense Mike} but if that were true it would not have been incorporated into devices such as GS2/3. It is not like using wifi with no security enabled and a guy sits out front of your house and uses your connection.

It is used for file transfers between devices and once that is completed a savy uses turns it off. Not sure why you would be adamant against having it "running" on any device you have. It is a great feature and i really miss it on my TF700. Also it is protected using WPA2.

Its almost like samsung had an agreement with WiFi Alliance and Asus did not and was forced to disable it.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I can understand why you would want this on your device, but personally I'm with MikeS on this as are all the long standing IT folks that I know. None of those who have it available make use of it or would ever look to do so...

That doesn't explain why Asus haven't included it, however. Oh, BTW I had to do a minor edit on your OP as we try to keep our forum squeaky clean as far as any potential copyright issues are concerned. Thanks for understanding

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Is it crippled or broke? I have the same issue. Have a GS3 and TF700 and often want to transfer large files between. I think its just broken, after all, bluetooth transfer works and its just as insecure.

I am in IT security and know its insecure, but here is why I would like to have it. I travel a lot and often find I would like to transfer a movie or an album. I don't take a PC and BT is very very slow, and Micro SD isn't an option because the case on my GS3 is too time consuming to remove. Knowing it's insecure I would like to enable it, use it it, and turn it off when I'm done. IMO, there are to many insecure features of these devices to assume Asus disabled this one and not the others. IT security is all about the security to usability ratio, and Asus wants to tout the features.

All that being said, it isn't disabled. If you expand the options menue under the wifi section it will be there. I can establish a connection with my GS3, but all file transfers both ways fail. It would be nice if I could get the GS3 to show up as external storage through USB.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I use something called called "software data cable" from Playon both my tf700 and my Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000. I have to turn on the portable wi-fi hotspot function on my TF700 and open the app on both devices, then click on sync phone, click on connect with friends, then create direct push network on the tf700 and join direct push network on my phone. It works both ways.

Hope this helps. Although I will add that I seem to be unable to secure the connection with the WPA2-PSK option at this moment in time, it seems to auto revert to 'open' but that may be because I set it up that way originally, when I first found that the Wi-fi Direct appeared to be borked.

PS I use a USB thumb drive o transfer between my laptops (one WinXP for Tablet PCs, and one with multiboot Linux distros) and the TF700 dock.
    Last edited by minrich; 12-14-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forgot thumb drive

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I would just like be able to share my tablet screen with my sony bravia. Is that to much to ask? Smart tv, smart tablet, no screen sharing. ( INSERT SAD FACE )

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post
    Is it crippled or broke? I have the same issue. Have a GS3 and TF700 and often want to transfer large files between. I think its just broken, after all, bluetooth transfer works and its just as insecure.

I am in IT security and know its insecure, but here is why I would like to have it. I travel a lot and often find I would like to transfer a movie or an album. I don't take a PC and BT is very very slow, and Micro SD isn't an option because the case on my GS3 is too time consuming to remove. Knowing it's insecure I would like to enable it, use it it, and turn it off when I'm done. IMO, there are to many insecure features of these devices to assume Asus disabled this one and not the others. IT security is all about the security to usability ratio, and Asus wants to tout the features.

All that being said, it isn't disabled. If you expand the options menue under the wifi section it will be there. I can establish a connection with my GS3, but all file transfers both ways fail. It would be nice if I could get the GS3 to show up as external storage through USB.
    Have you tried Superbeam from the Play Store? Works great for me to transfer files from my Droid 4 to the Tf700 and vice versa over WiFi.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links