Thread: Infinity Speed observations

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Infinity Speed observations

Hello! I am new to this forum. I have just had my Infinity for about a week and ran a quadrant test and noticed that it is significantly slower than my Samsung S3! I have Jelly bean and limited by back ground process but it comes out with a score of around 4100 whereas my S3 (on Ice cream sandwich) gives a score of 5100. can anyone explain this as the S3 has a smaller chip and does quadrant actually mean anything???

General Observations

I am generally happy with it but some criticism I have is – ASUS is rubbish for assistance and instructions on updates, a bit laggy which is incredibly annoying (sometimes I have to wait for what I typed to catch up with me) and the speaker is rubbish. Screen is good but not as good as I would have hoped/expected and I am beginning to think that using my S3 which is snappy and has a brilliant screen(of course it is smaller which is possibly easier to make a good screen) might have increased my expectations.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Moved to Infinity General Discussion.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Quadrant scores can be hit and miss, especially across different android versions, I wouldn't think to much on it.

For the laggyness. If you haven't done so already, give the tablet a few factory resets in a row (make sure to back things up first). This will clean things up nicely in the system and usually gives a marked improvement.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Quadrant scores can be hit and miss, especially across different android versions, I wouldn't think to much on it.

For the laggyness. If you haven't done so already, give the tablet a few factory resets in a row (make sure to back things up first). This will clean things up nicely in the system and usually gives a marked improvement.
    thanks for your response. I am thinking that as a relatively new tablet (only a week old) would a factory reset be that effective? I can imagine it being fine after, until I reinstall everything again and then ill be back in exactly the saem position!! or does the factory update do something else to the system that I do not know about?? thanks again

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    You could try something a little less permanent and wont lose your data etc, and that would be a cold reboot

most benchmarks have reported JB being slower than ICS, and just observing the RAM usage, JB uses about 150mb more for me, although this is to keep the system smooth

Smaller chip doesn't necessarily mean slower either, perhaps even better than a larger chip
    - The motherboard on a tablet is actually really small, its usually strip going across the tablet only a couple of centimetres wide with almost everything on it, the majority of the space is taken up by the screen and the battery

This is the iPad and as you can see the motherboard is tiny

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks and interesting regarding the ipad internals. I guess that is how the Padphone concept works and surprising that they cannot fit more grunt given the size of the internals. I guess it also makes sense that the size and quality of the screen takes up some of the power so this would be reflected (ie if my Infinity chip only had the S3 4.8 screen to power rather than the 10.1 it has, then it would have more power for other things.

Excuse my ignorance but is a cold reboot just a turning off and back on or is there a more technical method?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Im not 100% sure but it involves holding down the power and Vol down button, I think if you search cold reboot on the forum you will get some decent results

A regular reboot may also give you some improvements, and you should have a look through your apps list on settings and see if there are any that you can disable if they can't be uninstalled, I did this for google+ as i do not use it and it takes up around 30mb RAM at idle, worth having a look at those, I personally think the asus apps are naff as well, such as MyBitCast and ASUS Vibe Centre

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    1) Quandrant is legacy and isn't indictive of performance of multicore devices 2) The main bottleneck is the NAND storage chip. There are ways to take it out of the equation like Browser2Ram and Data2SD. The NAND performance may also be able to be addressed with firmware upgrades in the future.
    louhaku and zAlbee like this.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jules_b View Post
    thanks for your response. I am thinking that as a relatively new tablet (only a week old) would a factory reset be that effective? I can imagine it being fine after, until I reinstall everything again and then ill be back in exactly the saem position!! or does the factory update do something else to the system that I do not know about?? thanks again
    I'm sure the tablet installed the update from ICS to JellyBean when you got it. When it does this, there are often times issues due to the update process that a factory reset would help correct a lot (even if it was new out of the box). Anytime you go from one major OS version to another, it is nice to start from a clean slate, no matter what OS you are talking about. Apps and such can cause issues, but in your case with lagginess etc, I'm sure it's more about the update. I would personally do a factory data reset (it only resets to the OS you are on, it will not downgrade to how you got the tablet) especially since it is so new and you probably haven't done a whole lot with it yet as far as settings and customizations. A lot of people that were complaining about lagginess and slow tablets, were wowed once they buckled down and did the reset.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links