Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How is the quality of The TF700 compared to other Brands?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

How is the quality of The TF700 compared to other Brands?

The TF700 has been out for several months now and I am wondering how the quality and software issues of the TF700 we read about in these forums compair to other tablets. To get some data I went to Amazon and looked at the user reviews.

TF700 273 reviews 73% 4 or 5 star
    11% 3 star
    17& 1 or 2 star

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 158 reviews 77% 4 or 5 star
    10% 3 star
    13% 1 or 2 star

Apple (New tablet) 404 reviews 81% 4 or 5 star
    7% 3 star
    12% 1 or 2 star

I am getting ready to purchase my first tablet and don't want to have to put up with a lot of issues and returns - I just want something that works out of the box. From this limited data sample I think it suggests that there are quality issues with all the major brands so you just need to hope you get one of the "good" units. I assume that none of the major companies do a "infant mortality burn-in" so I guess if you purchase from Amazon use the heck out of the unit for the first 30 days to get past any "burn-in" issue during the return period.

Anyone have any other observations on this subject of Quality?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm at the point where I know so many Transformer owners I have stopped counting. Part of that is because of the business I'm in and part due to so many of my customers having been so impressed with the 2 TFs I have owned that they too purchased TFs So far, not one has had the first quality issue and I have had my hands on just aout every one of them.

The forums are rampant with people who have issues with their tablets and that is one of the prime reasons they're on the forum. Only one of the people I know who have Transformers has been here as far as I know. As you pointed out, none are going to be perfect.

As a moderator on another Android forum I can tell you that there are more and worse problems than what you'll see here with many tablets. I have recently thought about re-posting some of the issues people have had with major brands, not ASUS and it would sound very much like what's posted here.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    I was the first at my work to get an infinity and it is catching on...2 more guys have aquired an infinity recently.

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    I'm at the point where I know so many Transformer owners I have stopped counting. Part of that is because of the business I'm in and part due to so many of my customers having been so impressed with the 2 TFs I have owned that they too purchased TFs So far, not one has had the first quality issue and I have had my hands on just aout every one of them.

The forums are rampant with people who have issues with with the other tablets and that is one of the prime reasons they're on the forum. Only one of the people I know who have Transformers has been here as far as I know. As you pointed out, none are going to be perfect.

As a moderator on another Android forum I can tell you that there are more and worse problems than what you'll see here with many tablets. I have recently thought about re-posting some of the issues people have had with major brands, not ASUS and it would sound very much like what's posted here.
    I am actually quite interested in knowing the big issues with the other tablets on the market without having to search through other forums.
    ^ ^ This post was probably sent from my Infinity ^ ^

Phone - Nexus S
    Tablet - TF700 Grey 32gb
    Laptop - Asus 15.6" Core i7

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Your safest bet is the ipad.
    drigo likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Re: How is the quality of The TF700 compared to other Brands

All the manufacturers will have a defective rate. Most are minimal so getting a bad tablet is just bad luck. I wouldn't say its all that company's fault because everyone has a defective rate.

Now that I've said that I feel a lot more people have issues with their Asus than with other brands. I've had a few tablets now and this forum seems to have the most horror stories. There are a lot more broken screens, a lot more terrible customer service claims, and just a general feeling from a lot of previous Asus owners that the tablets have a sub par build quality.

What is funny though is that I bought the Google nexus 7 which is made by Asus and have had no problems. In fact you very rarely see any problems at all with the device on that forum. I think it just proves Asus is capable of better and that they are not truly putting their best foot forward with their transformer line. Maybe their saving money for R&D with windows 8.

For the money though an Asus tablet is a good way to go. I haven't really found any one else that has hardware as impressive for the same price but my two cents is to buy a nexus 7. The 32gb will be out for $249 and is truly the best total package in the Android market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    TF101 Transformer 32Gb

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I'd say that not even the most convinced Android fanboy would deny the undoubted build quality & after sales support of Apple. If that is your main criteria, then as GI says, that is the direction you should go.

After that, it really is a case of doing your own research - and not just on Amazon either - there are plenty of reviews out there by the technical media on tablet hardware customer satisfaction. Additionally, you need to decide on size of screen, 10" or 7". Then what your primary use is going to be. The 16:9 format of Android tablets is best for film viewing. The closer to 4:3 format of the iPad is better for reading & web browsing. But both types will do a good job - what your preference is is 100% personal.

Then there is the decision about whether you prefer the more open & customisable OS of Android or the more stable & polished but closed OS that Apple use. IOS. There really are so many variables that it is impossible to advise you until you have narrowed down your options further.

All manufacturers have issues - all have strengths & weaknesses. Every forum you visit will inevitably be biased. My advice - read, read, read & then read some more - but AFTER you have decided what & why you want a tablet.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by janner43; 10-18-2012 at 02:12 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Roey2000

Re: How is the quality of The TF700 compared to other Brands?

I love the tf700t, and i like apple ipad.....

the only thing with apple is u cant expand very much, thats the beauty of android tabs u can expand.... i hear lots of problems though about certain models and makes have their problem but alot of the time it really is the Android OS that causes them........

the qaulity of the Asus tf700t is good, at least my model i have is good....plus its (as i type) the only HD screen out there of Android tabs.... for me being a photographer the extra pixels make my pics very sharp to look at indeed....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times

@janner- I'm sick of people saying that iOS is more polished. Its just not true anymore especially with android 4.1.2. Android can be more intuitive and just as polished right out of the box.

@roey- as far as android causing issues that's not really true. One of the biggest issues is when the tablet manufacturer takes the android OS and ports it to their devices often adding their own additions and making changes. If you buy a Nexus device it really changes the game by using the software as Google intended so it leaves little room for fault.

TF101 Transformer 32Gb

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSarge View Post
    @janner- I'm sick of people saying that iOS is more polished. Its just not true anymore especially with android 4.1.2. Android can be more intuitive and just as polished right out of the box.
    And I will defend your right to your opinion all day long Sarge. Some will agree with you, some won't.

Personally, I still don't think that generally Android apps are as polished as Apple ones. Yes, some are, but the thing that folks dislike about Apple devices, namely their rigid control, is the very thing that forces developers to code and release to certain quality standards.

The open nature of the Android platform is a huge strength - but as with most things in life, that strength is also its weakness. And even the most ardent Android fan would surely concede that there are some pretty poor apps in the Play Store. There are also some superbly excellent ones. I was only offering a general personal opinion

@roey- as far as android causing issues that's not really true. One of the biggest issues is when the tablet manufacturer takes the android OS and ports it to their devices often adding their own additions and making changes. If you buy a Nexus device it really changes the game by using the software as Google intended so it leaves little room for fault.
    Now here is where we will agree. But I will offer a small defence for Asus. They are very quick to offer updates and they have done a great job in coding "their" Android to handle a fully demountable dock with all its benefits. So while I concur that every OEM handles Android differently, Samsung with their "touch wiz" for example, every iteration of Android has some benefits. For those who like it vanilla, then Google's pure version is surely the way to go.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Now I will say that apple apps are better but as far as comparing the OS is what I'm talking about. Android is just as smooth and polished as iOS with the new project butter, the apps still aren't all there but the actually core OS I think is right there with iOS.

And I agree that Asus gets their updates out way faster than anyone else and they offer a fairly vanilla android experience which I like. Now the updates don't always go smoothly but they try harder than everyone else.

Last edited by FXSarge; 10-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    TF101 Transformer 32Gb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links