Thread: Google map drains the battery

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Google map drains the battery

After upgrading my Transformer Infinity to Jelly Bean I have noticed that the Google Maps app is draining the battery (count for up to 70% of battery usage). I never use that app on the pad so I assume it launches itself in the background or maybe works together with another app which launches it automatically (maybe google now??). Anyone with the same problem or anyone with a good solution to this problem? Maybe I should try to reinstall the gmap or/and Google Now? Even when I force the app to stop it starts up in the background after a while. Really annoying.....

Any response will be appreciated. Thank you

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Yes Maps does use allot of battery. Just disable it and turn it on when necessary.
    RAVAGE likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for response Jeffrey. The problem is that I forced it to close (via the "battery usage menu") several times, but it keeps launching in the background. It's not showing in the resent app menu, nor in the Asus task manager. I would say it is running in "stealth mode". The only place I can see it is running is under "battery usage". Any idea to avoid this? I can of course uninstall it, but I really don't want to do that.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome, TomN.

Is maps turning on the GPS?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I suspect Google Now & the many new background notifications rather than Maps, Tom. But if you go to settings, apps, all & find Maps, you can uninstall any updates & then disable it there.
    RAVAGE likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomN View Post
    Thanks for response Jeffrey. The problem is that I forced it to close (via the "battery usage menu") several times, but it keeps launching in the background. It's not showing in the resent app menu, nor in the Asus task manager. I would say it is running in "stealth mode". The only place I can see it is running is under "battery usage". Any idea to avoid this? I can of course uninstall it, but I really don't want to do that.
    I know that on Android background processes and services are supposed to be light weight but I really wish it had more control on unrooted devices. It seems you always have the potential for a rogue process or buggy release affecting the system when you are not even using the app. I have a lot of processes running on my system for apps that I only want running on demand. The processes they are running are probably for things like notifications, etc, but I wish I could choose this. Android devices are much more RAM starved than PCs, et al.

Anyway, that said, if you are rooted it's trivial to freeze system apps with Titanium Backup or prevent startup with System Tuner.

I don't use it because I have been using TiBU for so long but I think more recent versions of Android also have some ability to disable apps somewhere in the apps submenus. Dunno if it works on system apps, probably not. Dunno if you can still run the app after it's been disabled, either.
    Last edited by zenaxe; 10-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    You can reduce the background running apps/processes by going to

settings>developer options>background process limit

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Nope the GPS is not turned on.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomN View Post
    Nope the GPS is not turned on.
    Strange then, that it's using up the battery.

Have you done a cold boot?

It helps sort stuff usually.

"Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset."

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Screenshot_2012-10-06-12-43-34.jpg

As you see it is defenitely the maps which are draining the battery(hope you can see the screen dump). I have tried cold boot, but did not help. I think it is the google now that launches the maps since position is required to give exact and detailed information on its cards. I think I will try to uninstall the maps and google now and see if it helps. It is strange that the maps launches immediately after forced close. Something triggers it, and I think it is google now.Thanks for all suggestions. \Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Strange then, that it's using up the battery.

Have you done a cold boot?

It helps sort stuff usually.

"Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links