Thread: Step by step setup setup for new Android users

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Step by step setup setup for new Android users

Ok so this is my first thread and second post on this website, i just got my first tab ever and i got asus transformer infinity. I went through some threads and i read what are launchers and stuff like to back up ur transformer tab. But being new to android i am lost as in how to do it and what to do exactly.
    -How do i backup my installed apps?
    -I downloaded some apps which did not work on my tablet so i uninstalled it by dragging it to app info and then clear cookies, data and then uninstall. Is that the right way? Where is the downloaded app(.apk) how can i get rid of that where will i find it?
    -Is file manager necessary, which on is the best?
    -I have 2 cards (sd & micro sd) what should i format it by for best performance? (Some said Fat32, some exFat some said NTFS works too). But which is the best for infinity?
    -I was thinking of instaling all my games to one sd card and not on my device. Can i do that? If yes how can i move my previously installed apps to the card?
    -I go a live wall paper for the play store, when opened it downloaded some files and apps by itself, where do these get downloaded? (Did not find it in the download folder)
    -Where do i learn more about android nothing specific but general stuff (not android features but i mean according to OS usability), to make my experience better and easier.
    -And how do i prepare my tab for upcoming 4.1 update. Read a lot of different stuff on TF300 forums since they already got the update.

ANy more info that you feel is important is greatly apreciated. Thanks

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Use the pre-installed app called App Backup. If your files are over 600 MB, do multiple backups.

-I downloaded some apps which did not work on my tablet so i uninstalled it by dragging it to app info and then clear cookies, data and then uninstall. Is that the right way? Where is the downloaded app(.apk) how can i get rid of that where will i find it?
    That works. The APK files are installed in the /data/app/ folder (also JB has some in the /data/app-asec/ and /data/app-private/ folders). You cannot modify these folders unless you have rooted your tablet.

IMO, yes. I use ES File Explorer. It can access Google Drive, Dropbox, box.net, FTP, SAMBA and act as a Root Explorer on rooted tablets. One stop shopping. File Manager HD is another good one, others like Astro or some of the dual pane ones.

-I have 2 cards (sd & micro sd) what should i format it by for best performance? (Some said Fat32, some exFat some said NTFS works too). But which is the best for infinity?
    I prefer NTFS. FAT32 has a 4 GB per file limit. exFAT is not as widely usable. Not sure the best for you, but if you do not have any files over 4 GB, FAT32 should work just fine.

-I was thinking of instaling all my games to one sd card and not on my device. Can i do that? If yes how can i move my previously installed apps to the card?
    I have not seen a good way to move apps to the external cards for the Asus tablets. It works on some GB and older phones that had very little internal memory. IMO, you have 32 GB or more of storage, you should never run out. I have a 16 GB tab and only use about 1.5 GB for apps.

-I go a live wall paper for the play store, when opened it downloaded some files and apps by itself, where do these get downloaded? (Did not find it in the download folder)
    It gets installed in the system directories somewhere. You can access them in the live wallpaper section. Long press on the home screen, choose wallpapers or live wallpapers to access them.

-Where do i learn more about android nothing specific but general stuff (not android features but i mean according to OS usability), to make my experience better and easier.
    Check out the ICS and Jelly Bean Forums here in the Android OS Forum.

-And how do i prepare my tab for upcoming 4.1 update. Read a lot of different stuff on TF300 forums since they already got the update.
    My best advice is to back up your apps and data. Once JB is released, download the update. Reboot and do a hard reset. Then install the update. Hard reset, factory reset x3, then reboot and reinstall your apps.

Check the Master Help Guide in my signature for good getting started info as well.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    ^^^^^^
    whoa, that's like the definition of "ask and you shall receive".

good on ya

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    eejit thanks a lot for you replies, i appreciate the prompt response. As a new android user any explaination in clearing my doubts are good. Thanks again

And i tried, (i may not have succeded) to keep my questions general so all new users of android no matter what device they may use find it helpful.

As a user of android for only 1 week i have lots of questions and sure others would be too so i will add my queries as i encounter them.
    Thanks again for the help and i wish to learn as much as possible about the new OS from experts like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Use the pre-installed app called App Backup. If your files are over 600 MB, do multiple backups.

That works. The APK files are installed in the /data/app/ folder (also JB has some in the /data/app-asec/ and /data/app-private/ folders). You cannot modify these folders unless you have rooted your tablet.

IMO, yes. I use ES File Explorer. It can access Google Drive, Dropbox, box.net, FTP, SAMBA and act as a Root Explorer on rooted tablets. One stop shopping. File Manager HD is another good one, others like Astro or some of the dual pane ones.

I prefer NTFS. FAT32 has a 4 GB per file limit. exFAT is not as widely usable. Not sure the best for you, but if you do not have any files over 4 GB, FAT32 should work just fine.

I have not seen a good way to move apps to the external cards for the Asus tablets. It works on some GB and older phones that had very little internal memory. IMO, you have 32 GB or more of storage, you should never run out. I have a 16 GB tab and only use about 1.5 GB for apps.

It gets installed in the system directories somewhere. You can access them in the live wallpaper section. Long press on the home screen, choose wallpapers or live wallpapers to access them.

Check out the ICS and Jelly Bean Forums here in the http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/.

My best advice is to back up your apps and data. Once JB is released, download the update. Reboot and do a hard reset. Then install the update. Hard reset, factory reset x3, then reboot and reinstall your apps.

Check the Master Help Guide in my signature for good getting started info as well.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Hear that Frederuco, he called me an expert!

*Craig I didn't do bubkis, the wizard Frederuco was the one who gave you the assist.
    And if you think that was good, bookmark his Fantastic Favorites, there's a ton of stuff there to help you on your way.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Welcome to the forum. The Master Help Guide is a great source of information. In addition, I've got a few other links in my Signature below you may find useful.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    6 times
    This..."Once JB is released, download the update. Reboot and do a hard reset. Then install the update. Hard reset, factory reset x3, then reboot and reinstall your apps."...is very confusing to me. Doesn't hard reset after d/l update erase the update? What is difference between Hard Reset/Factory Reset? And you say do Factory Reset 3 times? This series of steps really baffles me...guess I'm pretty dense.

Check out the ICS and Jelly Bean Forums here in the http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Not dense at all Peg...hard reset/cold boot doesn't erase your data/apps.
    Think of it as blowing your nose....it just clears the mess out of the machines memory.
    So it won't get rid of the downloaded update....just preps the machine for the install.
    Factory reset does wipe all your stuff-apps and data.
    For some reason, 3 of them seem to be the most effective magic number.
    So backup your stuff--download update...blow your nose -- wipe three times.....reinstall backups...and enjoy your beans.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    6 times
    Please clarify...Factory Reset/Hard Reset/Cold Boot/Soft Reset.....? Or point me to where I can find the explanations. The only one I'm sure of is the Soft Reset...using Vol. down and Power buttons.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Frederuco extremely sorry for that ... But i wanted to thank you for the important information.
    There you go truth is out i am a forum rookie ... just started following forums.

Check out the ICS and Jelly Bean Forums here in the Android OS Forum.

Frederuco likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links