Thread: what to use instead of flash?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

what to use instead of flash?

Hello, since flash will no longer be available for androai 4.1 and later, what can I downloaded in its place? Should I download adobe AIR or is that something totally different? Also, do I need to download adobe reader? Thanks for all the help from everyone in this forum. P

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    160 times
    You can still use flash on jelly bean. It's just not officially supported. Check out this vid to see how to put it on. Obviously this is done on a nexus but applies to all Jelly Bean devices.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times
    Since the announcement of Jelly Bean, Adobe has come forward reiterating that Flash Player will eventually not be supported on mobile devices. In fact, they just posted in their blog and made it clear that Flash Player is not supported at all on Google's new OS Android 4.1/Jelly Bean. Of course, older devices, or devices that come pre-loaded with Flash and have been certified by Adobe will still function with Flash. In the past, all you had to do was grab a copy of flash player from the Google Play Store and it would probably work with your uncertified device.

Unfortunately, Adobe confirmed that with the release of Android 4.1, they will not certify any device with that OS. Additionally, Adobe indicated that on August 15th, it will configure Flash Player currently in the Play Store to only update devices that already have Flash installed. If the device does not have it installed, then it will not be authorized to download it from the Google Play Store. Additionally, Adobe shared that any device that is upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 will still have Flash Player, they recommend uninstalling it because it will be buggy. It's possible this is mostly a scare tactic, and it may still be mostly functional.

The problem will only become a progressive issue for Android as time goes on JB will cause flash to be more unreliable because the 2 are not officially compatible. Six months down the line with Key Lime Pie & things will get worse.

This will be a problem with eventual potentially volcanic results - because of the poor coding of many mainstream android apps, IMO. Take the Facebook app for example, I don't use Facebook personally, but all I ever read here is that the app doesn't work properly & folks use the flash rich website. How long has this android app been available now? In 6 months time, how will things look then...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times
    What to use instead? Well the idea is that HTML5 will take the place of Flash. Certainly, if app developers start coding apps with more quality & as HTML5 becomes more widespread, then we may not miss flash at all
    mnt likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    Does anyone know if the Jelly Bean firmware upgrade will be optional or required? Or is it even necessary to worry about... Is there an alternative to seeing flash based, or partially flash based websites? Should it even be a concern?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    There is no instead.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cognitoo View Post
    Does anyone know if the Jelly Bean firmware upgrade will be optional or required? Or is it even necessary to worry about... Is there an alternative to seeing flash based, or partially flash based websites? Should it even be a concern?
    No firmware update will ever be required or mandatory. You can stop your updates by disabling the CMClient and DMClient apps in Settings - Apps - All.

Honestly, I think that it would be silly to not opt for JellyBean. It is so much nicer, and flash still does work in most browsers (FireFox beta, Boat Browser, Browser)

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    There is no instead.
    There's skyfire.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    An alternative needs to be made available to new tablet users. I just got my Transformer Pad Infinity with 4.0.3 only to find out that Flash stopped supporting mobile devices with newer android os months ago. Of course no one bothered to mention that when they were selling me this tablet. I can't download Flash. If you already have flash you can keep using it but for those of us that don't have it....we can't get it.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne23 View Post
    An alternative needs to be made available to new tablet users. I just got my Transformer Pad Infinity with 4.0.3 only to find out that Flash stopped supporting mobile devices with newer android os months ago. Of course no one bothered to mention that when they were selling me this tablet. I can't download Flash. If you already have flash you can keep using it but for those of us that don't have it....we can't get it.
    First, welcome to the forum

Second, you would be incorrect. Though Adobe has stopped supporting Flash it is not only installable on ICS, it works on Jelly Bean as well, but not on the Store. Get it and instructions from (here). The second download link should work just fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads