Thread: CROMBi-kk infinite loop

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

CROMBi-kk infinite loop

I have ventured into the world of flashing my ft700t after reading this article and have gotten in over my head very quickly. In my attempt to fix the issue, I'm sure I tried Wipe Data in recovery after installing the custom rom. Now I read that is bad.

Where I am now, I have an unlocked bootloader and can connect with usb. When I try to boot the rom, I get the endless restarting of 4 penquins.

>fastboot devices
    ? fastboot

>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    adb server is out of date. killing...
    ADB server didn't ACK
    * failed to start daemon *
    error:
    error:

>adb shell
    adb server is out of date. killing...
    * daemon started successfully *
    error: device not found

Any other details I can provide to help?
    Last edited by 3dvrguy; 11-23-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    Well, first I suggest a whole bunch of reading, so that you at least have the jargon down to the point where we can communicate effectively. Here's a place to start:
    Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T
    Now, it sounds like you simply had a bad flash, or flashed a bad download. Yes, if you got as far as the 4 penguins, you must have had an unlocked bootloader (one doesn't unlock a fastboot, it isn't locked), and a custom recovery. We need to know what version of what recovery you might have installed; the devil's in the details for this stuff. I recommend this one:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...rea51-t3049395
    But a later one is OK so long as it's for the 700.

HOLD THE FORT! I just noticed that you say you have a TF701. You are posting in the 700 section. This needs to be sorted out before we continue. But IIRC that ROM was never ported to 701 and that is likely your problem, it isn't going to boot on a 701. Make sure you have the ROM and tablet matching.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Kevin, I started with the Beginners Guide once my flash attempt failed. I'm sure I am mixing terms so appologies for that, this is all very new. Yes, it is a TF700T. I must have overlooked that option in the registration, but have corrected my profile.

From the beginning...I did not install the bootloader unlock tool in this round. When the tablet boots, it displays the message "the device is unlocked" at the logo screen. Is that the same thing? This is my second attempt to flash so I think it is unlocked.

I attempted to install TWRP - twrp-2.6.3-that3_Signed.zip

When I boot with Power + Vol - I see this:
    The device is unlocked.
    Android cardhu-user bootloader <2.10 e> released by "US_epad-9.4.5.26-20120720" A03
    Checking for RCK.. press key <vol_up> in 5 sec to enter RCK

pausing 5 seconds or pressing vol up displays:
    Booting recovery kernel image

system hangs

pressing vol down displays Wipe Data, USB, Android
    this message appears:
    OS will cold boot in 10 secs if the selected mode is not confirmed.
    press <vol_down> to change mode.
    press <vol_up> to confirm mode.

USB displays message:
    Starting Fastboot USB download protocol.

Android attempts to boot rom and the looping begins.

Next I tried loading TWRP - twrp_tf700t_kang_2.8.7.4-signed.zip
    >fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp-2874.blob
    sending 'recovery' (7040 KB)...
    OKAY [ 2.653s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 2.142s]
    finished. total time: 4.797s

I was able to get into a previous RCK and install crombi-kk. I haven't gotten into TWRP from what I can tell.
    Used ROM - cm-11.0-20140810-crombi-kk-RC2-tf700t_signed.zip

That is where I am. I read where @droidbound had given advice to someone who had tried Wipe Data to use >adb shell to kill a process, which is why I included the results for that command above.
    Last edited by 3dvrguy; 11-23-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    Ok, let's gather some facts:

When the tablet boots, it displays the message "the device is unlocked" at the logo screen.
    Your tablet is unlocked
    Android cardhu-user bootloader <2.10 e> released by "US_epad-9.4.5.26-20120720" A03
    You have an ICS bootloader on your tablet which is completely outdated for any KK rom or recovery
    I get the endless restarting of 4 penquins
    The penguins indicate that you have a _that kernel installed which is part of the KK rom, so at some point you had a custom recovery and flashed a rom.
    My guess is you flashed TWRP 2.6 which did boot with the ICS bootloader (a small miracle in itself) and then you flashed the KK rom which will not boot with an ICS bootloader.
    Then you flashed TWRP 2.8 which will not boot with an ICS bootloader (which is just as well because performing any action in a recovery incompatible with the installed bootloader can easily hard brick a device) and that's why you now get nothing when trying to enter RCK.

The good news is this is fixable in fastboot.
    The bad news is you don't seem to have a working fastboot connection between PC and tablet ???
    >fastboot devices
    ? fastboot
    At some point you did have fastboot since you flashed TWRP successfully twice, so let's hope just rebooting the PC or changing USB ports will fix that problem.
    So focus on that and only that: Get fastboot working, meaning you get a positive return for the command 'fastboot devices'

Once that works you should flash the Asus system blob in fastboot - the best way to a) upgrade your bootloader to the latest version and b) get back to a complete stock system so that you can start from scratch.
    I have walked people so many times through this - let me find a thread that describes it and I'll add the link later.

Actually - probably faster to post instructions:

Download latest Asus firmware: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634791660
    Extract the zip until you see a file called 'blob'
    Copy blob into your fastboot directory
    Run this command
    Code:
    fastboot flash system blob
    Wait until you get the command prompt back which will take a few minutes, then
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    You should now reboot into a fresh JB 4.2.1 stock rom.
    Follow the link on top of the Beginners guide to it's version on XDA and read at least the first 3 posts.
    Then flash TWRP 3.0 or later.
    To install a new rom you first have to format /data and then you should convert /data to the f2fs file system (only if you flash a rom that supports f2fs). https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...p-2-8-t3073471
    Don't flash CROMbi-KK - it sucks. Flash timduru's Katshmallow or Nougatella and follow the instructions in the OP.
    You'll like it
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    janner43 likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much for the feedback. That sounds like the steps. I have tried a lot of options so I'm not sure at this point.

As far as fastboot, since I can do the flash, does that mean there could still be issues with the usb connection? What response should I get? Here is what I get. I did reboot.

Untitled.png

This is with using the rear USB ports. They could be 3.0, but I can't tell from Device Manager. This is a Win10 box is that matters.

Untitled2.png

Since I last flashed twrp kang 2.8.7.4, do I need to update that? I should add I ran another series of commands that were posted to help after running the Wipe Data. That involved removing the systems partitions and several others using fastboot. Do those need to be recreated?
    Last edited by 3dvrguy; 11-23-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    Win10 again! Try again with a USB2 port, (black one) if you have it. For some reason, USB3 gets particular sometimes. There are several Windows driver packages available, if changing ports doesn't get it you might try different drivers. Make sure you obliterate the old ones before installing the new! A simple Windows uninstall is usually not sufficient. You may have better luck with an older machine, Win7 or XP. If nothing else works, pick a live Linux disk, boot to that and install the Fastboot binary. But you need to consistently get a return from fastboot devices while your tablet is booted into the screen with the 3 icons. Don't hit the volume-down button, just leave it at that screen. If it won't stay on that screen, you may be screwed.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    Since I last flashed twrp kang 2.8.7.4, do I need to update that? I should add I ran another series of commands that were posted to help after running the Wipe Data. That involved removing the systems partitions and several others using fastboot. Do those need to be recreated?
    Fastboot does not support removing partitions. You may have wiped them of their data, but the partitions themselves are untouched.
    If you flash the Asus blob you will return your system to stock - including the recovery partition. So: Yes you have to reflash TWRP.

You did have fastboot earlier, didn't you? Did you get a positive response with 'fastboot devices' then?
    You can skip trying 'adb devices'. ADB only works in recovery or when booted into Android. You won't get a response when booted into the bootloader.
    Device manager shows and recognizes the ADB bootloader interface.... You are running Windows as admin?

This is what you want to see:
    fastboot.PNG

Just try to flash the blob. What do you get?
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-23-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    The commands I ran before were:
    >fastboot erase system (and several other partitions)

So I tried a Win7 machine and started over to try to get devices to report. It still only returns "? fastboot".

When I try flashing blob, I get the same results on both:
    Untitled3.png

This kills fastboot connection, and doesn't reboot the tab. Seems fastboot is talking though. Yes, running windows as admin and did the disable driver certification thing in win10.

Am I still dealing with a usb problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3dvrguy; 11-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    IDK, maybe you managed to erase the partition that has the device ID and that is the reason it only returns a ? fastboot??
    I have no idea. But Windows seems to recognize the fastboot connection, loads the blob but then fails to write it to the device.
    I have seen many instances where under Windows it "should" have worked and didn't and the same commands worked without a problem on the same machine under Linux....

Try this:
    Type "accessories" in the Win search box
    You should see "Command Prompt" as an option
    Right click it and choose "run as admin"
    Allow when prompted, then cd into your fastboot directory and try to flash the blob again. For me it looks like this, your path will be different:
    win admin.PNG

If that does not work try the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash staging blob
    I'm not sure if the Staging partition is large enough for the blob, but it's worth a try. Staging is used to "park" low level software which the BL will write to it's proper partition during the next boot.
    Then reboot

Good luck

Edit: Are you using an original Asus USB cable?
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-23-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Started CMD as admin, here are the results of the 2 attempts:

Untitled4.png

Interesting you ask about the cable. Yes, it is the original cable. However, I noticed yesterday one of the flat connector pins had gotten bent over the years of use. I know that will raise a lot of suspicion. It's the proprietary wide flat connector that goes in the bottom of the tab. It also has a mini usb port on the side. Is it possible to use that port for flashing? If not, I will need to find a new cable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links